Sony A7 III first impressions - what is going on with metering in video?

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Super Members

What exactly is it doing with the exposure stuff?

Is it a different metering mode altogether or is it altering the ISO/Shutter/Aperture or adding some preset Exposure Compensation?

More to the point, if its the ISO/Shutter/Aperture or an Exposure Compensation does it actually indicate its done it?

Very strange.

• Administrators

It sticks to the metering mode you select in the menu. Say, multi-metering. But it behaves differently with a mind of it's own and tries to pull your image down to protect the highlights whether you want it to or not.

The only way to stop it from doing that is to go into full manual control, set the shutter and ISO and aperture, so it forces the camera not to bother metering the scene.

It is annoying because in stills mode you have the exposure shift on P,A and S, whereas in movie mode you have no exposure shift between LV and recording, but no way to shoot damn stills!

They need to get metering consistent between video and photos... And let us take photos in video mode.

In fact I'd get shot of the mode dial altogether and do what the X-H1 does. Dedicated ISO and shutter dials, with option for auto on both, and auto ISO.

Nice pictures & colors!

I haven't seen any differences in the metering between video/stills. I use the manual mode and the exposure is consistent between the two. I use the multi metering with face priority. Maybe it is just a setting in that humongous menu. 

The custom modes on mode dial can be used to switch between the two, but I find the manual mode faster and seem-less. 

I could use some help from experienced Sony shooters.  I just bought the A7iii and I can't get the camera to go into the AF-S focus mode so I can use a half-press on the shutter button or with the back AF-ON button.  This is my first Sony and I've always been able to put my Pana GHx cameras into a mode where I can activate AF momentarily with a half-press of the shutter button, then release so the focus stays where I want it and prevents it from hunting.  I love doing it this way and this could be a deal breaker for me.  I really hate using constant AF.

Anyway, if you could share how you set up the focus settings and control focus without resorting to full manual on Sony A7 cams it could relieve the sinking feeling I have right now.  Otherwise, I love the low noise and incredible dynamic range of the camera.  Thanks for the help!

1 hour ago, mopixels said:

I could use some help from experienced Sony shooters.

@mopixels - I'm like you. New to Sony. Mine is arriving tomorrow. So I started this thread with the best info and tutorial I can find on how to setup the camera and how to maximize it's filming ability. You need to spend couple of days to learn your new tool: 

• Super Members

When you are using the remote app can you switch from stills to video mode without having to turn the dial?

So if its on the video dial when you go into the app can you take a still from the app and vice versa?

I think I would be really mad if they pull another FS5II when it comes to the A7SIII.

Then again, I can't see the A7SIII falling behind the A7III and still charge $3500 (or more) for it.

If they pull a blackmagic - full frame RAW option... its game over.

I mean, may be not internally... but what if Atomos knew or had a collaboration with Sony <- HDMI Raw -> Pro Res Raw. GAME OVER!

• Administrators

Well Pro Res RAW is an Apple tech so Sony only have to go to Apple to license it. Atomos aren't the gate keeper for that one, however they do seem to have a pretty close relationship with Sony - maybe one day they will be bought by the Japanese company and their tech extended to more than just recorders / monitors, etc.

8 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

When you are using the remote app can you switch from stills to video mode without having to turn the dial?

So if its on the video dial when you go into the app can you take a still from the app and vice versa?

Going to investigate this and get back to you!

31 minutes ago, wolf33d said:

A7SIII with Prores RAW would rip off the market.

Will not happen though.

Best we can expect is 4k60p and 4k30p 10 bit like the GH5. And that would be great because it would add FF and great AF, two things highly missing on the GH5.

Knowing Sony, it will most likely be limited to 8-bit 4-2-2. And one stop/one and a half stop improvement in low light, and colour science on the lines of the Venice and FS5 ii. Nothing else. 

8 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Well Pro Res RAW is an Apple tech so Sony only have to go to Apple to license it.

I was suggesting something more along the  lines of some sort of compressed RAW via HDMI and Atomos decodes and can recode it as either CDNG or Pro Res Raw - or other pro res non-RAW formats.

3 hours ago, wolf33d said:

A7SIII with Prores RAW would rip off the market.

Will not happen though.

I don't understand...

Isn't that what the a7III is doing? 4K FF Mirrorless for $2K...

4 hours ago, wolf33d said:

Best we can expect is 4k60p and 4k30p 10 bit like the GH5. And that would be great because it would add FF and great AF, two things highly missing on the GH5.

I don't understand this either... 

What are we doing here... follow the leader?

From my understanding each company (specifically Canon, Sony and Panasonic) leap frogged one another...

Yes, it all started with the 5D mark 2... but lets skip ahead to the 4K gen. cameras. I mean I can talk about the GH1 to Gh3.... but again.... lets skip to the 4K DSLRs and 4K MILCs...

2012 -> Canon 1DC - First 4K DSLR.

Panasonic said, we can do that and add 1080 @ 96fps -> GH4

Sony took their time but they did have a low-light monster... eventually leap frogged them by introducing 1080 @ 120fps (though cropped in the a7sII)

2016 -> Canon 1dx mark 2 - First 4K @ 60p and 1080/120p (no crop)

Panasonic said, oh yeah? 10 bit and 1080 @ 180p

No wait... we have more improvements -> GH5s 

Blackmagic comes in.... and said.... "What? You forgot about us?" Throws the Pocket Cinema4K and mind fucks us.

Sony, can't be like... we can match the Panasonic GH5........... 

• Administrators
14 hours ago, sanveer said:

Knowing Sony, it will most likely be limited to 8-bit 4-2-2. And one stop/one and a half stop improvement in low light, and colour science on the lines of the Venice and FS5 ii. Nothing else. 

"Knowing Sony"?

I think you might be confusing Sony with Canon!

Sony have given us stuff well above and beyond expectations. Aside from the FS5 II, which was never meant to be anything less than a minor update, if you look at the jump between A7 series cameras they have been HUGE.

3 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Knowing Sony"?

Maybe poor choice of words. And I agree, it' Canon that had terribly minor increments. 

Thought the chances of 10-bit 4-2-2 in the A7siii are next to impossible (8-bit 4-2-2 internal may happen, though, and it will could be much better than the 4-2-0 that is there right now). Like I mentioned in the other group, better colour science (on the lines of the Venice and the FS5ii) and possibly 1-1.5 stops better low light. And a 50% chance that the recording limit might go (after a firmware update in July or near the year end), when a change in the tax laws is expected).

On 5/16/2018 at 12:51 AM, scotchtape said:

There is only afc in video mode no afs.  Assign toggle from afc to mf to a custom button.

Thanks for this suggestion, I'll try to get used to this, but it's still not as good as having AF-S in movie mode.  I don't get the point of Sony not enabling it.