Canon C300MkII vs C200

DBounce

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, HockeyFan12 said:

It still confuses me since the C300 Mk II has a 120hz sensor

If the rolling shutter speed matches the max read out speed of the sensor, then that just proves bandwidth to handle the data coming off the processor is not a bottleneck. 

But if the rolling shutter speed is higher, that then means the company didn't put in enough grunt into the camera to handle the bandwidth coming off the sensor at max read speed

34 minutes ago, Django said:

If processor & resolution are strong RS factors (which I’m inclined to agree with) shouldn’t C200 have less RS since it uses dual DV6 digic processors running UHD instead of dual DV5’s doing DCI 4K on the C300 ii  ???

@HockeyFan12 Please share with us the info coming from Canons sensor tech!

I legit don't know much about this so I won't speculate any more.

And I doubt I'll learn much more than the rolling shutter timings, if that. I suspect I'll just learn if the C200 and C300 Mk II have the same amount of skew. 

18 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

If the rolling shutter speed matches the max read out speed of the sensor, then that just proves bandwidth to handle the data coming off the processor is not a bottleneck. 

But if the rolling shutter speed is higher, that then means the company didn't put in enough grunt into the camera to handle the bandwidth coming off the sensor at max read speed

I think I'm in over my head here, again. I doubt I'll get any significant info that's not already publicly available, but I'll ask if raw and mp4 figures are the same, too: if the sensor ever has to "wait up" on the rest of the imaging pipeline. I'm still not sure whether or not that's the case.

Btw, blackmagic ursa mini pro 4.6 prices running low on the bay now. like 3500 usd low, the pro version! What is going on there? Everyone  dropping their cams for the awesome canon c200 or c300 II. I wouldnt think so, to start my complain or disregard towards the c300ii. How so? I have not had that great experience with grading either the 10bit 4k dci nor the 2k 12bit. It sometimes feels like grading dslr footage, with codec falling apart surprisingly quick. I have had better results with grading 8bit gh5 100mbit codec. What you guys say about the c300ii codec flavours? Dynamic range captured is nice, robustness of codec rather not.

8 hours ago, PannySVHS said:

Btw, blackmagic ursa mini pro 4.6 prices running low on the bay now. like 3500 usd low, the pro version! What is going on there? Everyone  dropping their cams for the awesome canon c200 or c300 II. I wouldnt think so, to start my complain or disregard towards the c300ii. How so? I have not had that great experience with grading either the 10bit 4k dci nor the 2k 12bit. It sometimes feels like grading dslr footage, with codec falling apart surprisingly quick. I have had better results with grading 8bit gh5 100mbit codec. What you guys say about the c300ii codec flavours? Dynamic range captured is nice, robustness of codec rather not.

Are you shooting Canon Log 2?

IMO it’s too flat. I find it helpful to use a LUT or it gets weird.

17 hours ago, PannySVHS said:

Do you realize there is an Ursa Mini Pro ver. 2 just been out?

still debating in between the two. had a go at some C200 raw footage and boy Canon Raw Light really isn't that light at 1Gbps! I feel like those data rates might just be too much disk storage space for me to handle and are going to cost a fortune in Cfast cards. So really I'm afraid the C200 will probably be used with the 4K (UHD) 8-bit 150mbps codec 90% of the time.. and then that just begs to question am i really making a huge upgrade worth $7500 from my C100 & EOS R that can already shoot internal 8-bit UHD 4K at even higher (400mbps) bitrate  as well as 10-bit external (which the C200 can't even do)? Only thing I'll be gaining as far as IQ is less RS and maybe a stop of DR.

On the other hand the C300 mk2 shoots nice chunky 10-bit 422 DCI 4K / 12-bit 444 2K internal.. is broadcast ready, Netflix approved straight out the box and has raw 4K out. It can record to 3 media cards at once internally, and 5 with the outs. Just seems like such a workhorse. But yeah, dropping $10K on a 4-year-old camera is a little nerve racking when second hand C200's are floating around at $6.5K..

10 minutes ago, Django said:

still debating in between the two. had a go at some C200 raw footage and boy Canon Raw Light really isn't that light at 1Gbps! I feel like those data rates might just be too much disk storage space for me to handle and are going to cost a fortune in Cfast cards. So really I'm afraid the C200 will probably be used with the 4K (UHD) 8-bit 150mbps codec 90% of the time.. and then that just begs to question am i really making a huge upgrade worth $7500 from my C100 & EOS R that can already shoot internal 8-bit UHD 4K at even higher (400mbps) bitrate  as well as 10-bit external (which the C200 can't even do)? Only thing I'll be gaining as far as IQ is less RS and maybe a stop of DR.

On the other hand the C300 mk2 shoots nice chunky 10-bit 422 DCI 4K / 12-bit 444 2K internal.. is broadcast ready, Netflix approved straight out the box and has raw 4K out. It can record to 3 media cards at once internally, and 5 with the outs. Just seems like such a workhorse. But yeah, dropping $10K on a 4-year-old camera is a little nerve racking when second hand C200's are floating around at $6.5K..

The C200 can export a 10bit 2K Raw signal through the SDI.

E60DD89D-9A75-4F87-BD76-F85AC188C2C8.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...

On a C200 related note, does anyone know if there is a cheaper alternative to the (seems expensive?) Shape handgrip cable extension? Currently I'm keen to mount the handgrip to the right-side of the Ronin-S, but of course the cable won't quite reach. 20cm to 30cm would work nicely...

Thanks all

https://www.shapewlb.com/canon-c200-relocator-extension-cable/

image.thumb.png.18909c4549d98d0370a266b3332a31ee.png

1 hour ago, webrunner5 said:

It is probably a dedicated plug on the Shape side. Just get a 6" 3.5mm cable extension or what ever length you need. Doubt you are going to find some cheap knockoff, and if you do can you depend on it?

https://www.cmple.com/3-5mm-stereo-audio-headphones-mini-plug-extension-cable-6-inches

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately i've tried a standard 3.5mm audio (headphones) cable extension with no joy. There must be something more to this particular cable style to enable information transfer......