G7 as backup to G85

Screengrab

I am thinking about getting a G7. It would complement my G85/G80 as an additional body for multicam stuff. Always on a stand. Mostly for interviews and b-roll.

I understand the G7 has none of the following:

- weather sealing
- IBIS
- OLPF filter

Anything else that's different?

In terms of ergonomics, handling and color (cinelike D) it looks like a perfect twin backup body. Great in shooting workflow and matching in post.

Anything I am missing?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

The G7 also has its memory card slot in the battery compartment, as opposed to the G80/G85, which has a separate slot. For the circumstances you're describing that's probably not going to be an issue unless you have it attached to a really big locking plate or tripod head, but it's something to bear in mind.

I do believe it has the recording limit in the US too but it's easy to get around, if I'm not mistaken. 

I think it's a great option as a b-cam for the G85. The GX85 might be an option too, though it doesn't have a mic input. If you're recording audio separately though that shouldn't be a problem. The benefits are better SD card slot placement and IBIS, and sometimes having that smaller form factor is nice when shooting b-roll in public and not wanting to get too much attention. 

9 hours ago, David Bowgett said:

The G7 also has its memory card slot in the battery compartment, as opposed to the G80/G85, which has a separate slot. For the circumstances you're describing that's probably not going to be an issue unless you have it attached to a really big locking plate or tripod head, but it's something to bear in mind.

No blocking with a regular plate?

7 hours ago, Mark Romero 2 said:

QUESTION: Does the g7 have the 29-minute record limit in the US?

Dunno, but i am ok if the files offer seamless playback.

I guess (more experienced users can correct me if I'm wrong) that the colors could be somewhat different - I have a LX100 (same generation from the G7) and a GX85 and, using the same settings (picture profile, etc) between the two, the colors are not the same, LX100 (and maybe the G7) have a more greenish hue, as used to be in the past Panasonics.

8 hours ago, Screengrab said:

No blocking with a regular plate?

Probably not. As a rule, if you can open the battery door and swap out the battery on the G80 while it's attached to the plate, you should be good to go (the G7's compartment door is a bit bigger, but mostly in the direction away from the mounting point).

1 hour ago, Carz said:

The GX85 with the cine d hack is tough to beat as a b cam. Same sensor as g85 as well, so an almost identical look. 

Yeah, I forgot to mention the Cinelike D hack. I almost got the GX85 as a b-cam for my GH5 but decided to spend a little more for the G85. But if you don't need a mic input it's a great option. 

The G7 is a good option too, though. It shouldn't be too hard to match in post, though the GX85 will look a bit more like the G85. 

57 minutes ago, newfoundmass said:

Yeah, I forgot to mention the Cinelike D hack. I almost got the GX85 as a b-cam for my GH5 but decided to spend a little more for the G85. But if you don't need a mic input it's a great option. 

The G7 is a good option too, though. It shouldn't be too hard to match in post, though the GX85 will look a bit more like the G85. 

Thanks. I have the gx80 (and the hack), but I noticed that similar controls and ergonomics can be a godsend in the field.

4 hours ago, Márcio Kabke Pinheiro said:

I guess (more experienced users can correct me if I'm wrong) that the colors could be somewhat different - I have a LX100 (same generation from the G7) and a GX85 and, using the same settings (picture profile, etc) between the two, the colors are not the same, LX100 (and maybe the G7) have a more greenish hue, as used to be in the past Panasonics.

Please help him and correct me if you have handson experience with both g7 and g85. This is my biggest fear.

• Super Members
2 hours ago, Screengrab said:

Thanks. I have the gx80 (and the hack), but I noticed that similar controls and ergonomics can be a godsend in the field.

Shameless plug but that is one of the benefits of my controller in that it makes the operation of different Panasonic cameras identical and you could operate two of them at once in the scenario you are looking at. ;) 

2 hours ago, Screengrab said:

Please help him and correct me if you have handson experience with both g7 and g85. This is my biggest fear.

This is from my original post to demonstrate the hack.

It shows the output of my G7 and GX80 using Cinelike D pointed at the same charts in contrasty lighting.

If there is a difference then it isn't glaringly obvious. 

13 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

Shameless plug but that is one of the benefits of my controller in that it makes the operation of different Panasonic cameras identical and you could operate two of them at once in the scenario you are looking at. ;) 

This is from my original post to demonstrate the hack.

It shows the output of my G7 and GX80 using Cinelike D pointed at the same charts in contrasty lighting.

If there is a difference then it isn't glaringly obvious. 

Good enough! I'd forgotten you used a G7 as a reference. Thank you!

20 hours ago, Carz said:

The GX85 with the cine d hack is tough to beat as a b cam. Same sensor as g85 as well, so an almost identical look. 

Never will could thank @BTM_Pix enough for the Cinelike-D hack. Never used another mode since (except in that occasion that I need to match the GX85 to the LX100, went Natural on both) .