Insurance - Traveling to Cuba

chadandreo

I was wondering if anyone could give me any advice or recommendation on getting equipment insurance while traveling to Cuba. 

My current company Hill and Usher does not have a policy that covers Cuba and other places with U.S. Embargo and travel restrictions. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I went to Cuba without insurance, I never had insurance anywhere in the world so far. I did not have problems either. But I am very protective of my gear. So it depends on the user, and what activities you plan on doing. I don't do nightlife, so if you are planning on doing nightlife and getting drunk at the same time, it might be a good idea to get it insured ^^

Join the PPA and opt-in for the basic insurance coverage - $15,000 with a $250 deductible, no countries excluded (was worried as we've visited Myanmar, Israel, Egypt, Turkey, Nicaragua, Uganda, Rwanda with Cuba still to come) - but extreme situations like volcanoes and war are excluded. Computers and accessories used to produce photos/videos are also covered. I carry a bag with $12k in cameras/lenses a computer and so on, the whole thing is well documented with easily accessed photos on Flickr, and a video on YT - and its all covered. There's a higher tier if you need up to $100,000 in coverage. They also do drone certifications and will cover drone loss as well. Lots of other benefits as well, like help with copyright violations and such.

From the coverage guide: "Territory – “We” cover property wherever it is located. However, a claim must be filed in the United States ofAmerica, its territories or possessions."

I emailed them a list of countries my wife and I are visiting to see if there would be issues (because every country we've visited isn't covered with our travel health insurance) and the reply I got back said to just follow the steps outlined in the coverage guide if we have to file and claim and we were fine.

https://www.ppa.com/benefits/protection

Cheers

Chris

1 hour ago, zerocool22 said:

I went to Cuba without insurance, I never had insurance anywhere in the world so far. I did not have problems either. But I am very protective of my gear. So it depends on the user, and what activities you plan on doing. I don't do nightlife, so if you are planning on doing nightlife and getting drunk at the same time, it might be a good idea to get it insured ^^

I wouldn't travel without insurance, a couple hundred dollars a year protects everything you're carrying. I'm sure most people are protective of their expensive camera gear, but you can lose everything in a couple seconds. I've never had to use it, but its well worth peace of mind. I see lots of stories about stolen/damaged gear, and many times people don't have insurance. My cameras are worth more than the last car I owned, both have coverage I've never used.