Fuji 18-55 f/2.8-4.0 Good Enough For Hand Held Filming?

DevonChris

I am missing IBIS with my X-T2 for hand held filming. The X-H1 is not that appealing as I think it is too big, to expensive and doesn’t offer much beyond the XT-2 specs to make the upgrade worthwhile.

So I am thinking of buying the 18-55mm F/2.8-4.0 zoom to add to my Fuji primes, mainly because of it’s OIS.

In general, is the OIS in this zoom, when used with the X-T2, good enough for hand held shooting? I would appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I shoot exclusively hand-held and rely on OIS to help me stabilise shots.

The way I think about it is that OIS and IBIS 'absorb' a small amount of movement, with good OIS and IBIS absorbing a greater range of movement, but if you move more than they can handle then the movement shows in the footage.

The way to improve this is to use some kind of camera stabiliser or mount.  You can start at the small end by using a camera strap, adding a handle to your camera, all the way up through using something like a Gorillapod (a small bendy tripod used as a kind of handle) to full rigs like shoulder-mounts or steadicams.  

I mention the Gorillapod as it's what I use and I find it to be quite effective up to about 100mm or so in combination with OIS.  Happy to give you more detail about how I use it if you're interested.

I've used the 18-135 which also has OIS and I was pleasantly surprised by how well it stabilised my shots. I didn't use it for that long, but I generally don't like the weird movement that OIS generates especially at long focal lengths, but this seems to be a little bit better than some of the others I've seen. If the 18-55 is as good as the 18-135 then it should be more than workable.