1DX II Noise at ISO 100

Snowbro

I have been noticing quite a bit of noise in the shadows when filmed at ISO 100. Not entirely sure how much of it is from my color grading (Made LUT from Lightroom). I see some noise when lifting shadows before grading, but not nearly as much. I have a feeling I might just be hitting the limits of 8-bit, but I sometimes see a ton of noise in untouched 120p 1080 footage. Not sure if there might be something up with my camera, I didn't notice any noise before. I will end up using neat video or something of the sort soon. 

Here is a quick video I just put together; you can see it when watching in 4k on a monitor when it is a headshot. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Thanks for looking at it. I barely brought back any shadows in some of these clips. I have a video on Alcatraz, where inside the prison, there are a few scenes that are perfectly exposed (no post adjust), yet the areas of the scene that are just barely darker have a lot of noise. 

Just now, Snowbro said:

Thanks for looking at it. I barely brought back any shadows in some of these clips. I have a video on Alcatraz, where inside the prison, there are a few scenes that are perfectly exposed (no post adjust), yet the areas of the scene that are just barely darker have a lot of noise. 

In those cases, it might be best to give more exposure and pull the shadows down in post. The image will be cleaner. 

25 minutes ago, jonpais said:

In those cases, it might be best to give more exposure and pull the shadows down in post. The image will be cleaner. 

That's what I did on my Sony when shooting LOG. I found many pros mention to not clip highlights with the 1DX; footage does have a harder time coming back from over exposure than under. I usually expose a tiny bit brighter than what my final correction will be in post. Really wish they had put CLOG in this, I tried the fake ones & I couldn't pull the blacks back down to what I would like to see. Feels like there is IQ loss with the ones I tested vs a neutral canon profile (btw, I shot this on the faithful profile with contrast/sharpening all the way down & -2 saturation)

50 minutes ago, Snowbro said:

I am wondering if it is because there is no internal NR on the camera when in video mode (just noticed this)

I didn’t know that either... that’s a good thing, though. If I were you, I would ditch Faithful and try Prolost Neutral settings. Is this mostly happening in 120p with 1/240 shutter? Are you using the in camera meter to judge exposure?

7 hours ago, mercer said:

I didn’t know that either... that’s a good thing, though. If I were you, I would ditch Faithful and try Prolost Neutral settings. Is this mostly happening in 120p with 1/240 shutter? Are you using the in camera meter to judge exposure?

I tried cinestyle & marvels, but not prolost yet. It is happening in all recording modes. I always have my shutter st double my framerate. I tested tons of different exposures & looked at them in post; they all had a decent amount of noise in any area that had shadows in person. It's very odd because I had ran tests when first receiving the camera & I couldn't even see any noise at various settings/lighting conditions. 

• 3 months later...

I don't know why I didn't realize this before, but I have much more noise while shooting in 4k (especially 4k 60) than 1080p 24 or even 1080p 120. I just watched some of my videos on YT and the last few I did were 1080, where I didn't have any issues with noise. I guess the sensor cropping to 4k has some sort of impact on noise. 

I started doing 1080p out of laziness (don't have to convert the mjpeg to prevent banding etc) and the fact that most view on mobile. I do have to say though, the 4k out of this camera really is amazing. I  hope that when Canon does make some mirrorless FF, its on this level. I also really hope that they have a shutter lock out when changing lenses, unless a manual cleaning option is hit in the camera or something. I have used mirrorless before, I literally had the sensor cleaned that day, changed a lens in the field and had footage ruined from sensor dust that happened with a quick swap. Every channel I see using a mirrorless, has sensor dust on at least one out of 3 videos haha.