Wide Angle converter in front of Anamorphic?

Julian

I wonder: does it work?

Most anamorphic lenses don't let you get very wide. What are the results if you put a wide angle converter in front of the anamorphic? I don't think they change the focus, or do they?

Probably not a good idea on big anamorphic lenses, but what about the smaller ones? My Iscomorphot 8/2x is pretty small, would be nice to put a 0.7x wide angle converter on it for example.

Or my tiny Petit Cinvesion 1.5x.. It vignettes with taking lenses below 40mm on the GH2. Would like to be able to go a bit wider. Not looking for extreme wide, would be happy with 28mm (0.7x 40mm).

I don't have any wide angle converters, otherwise I would give it a try.. Did someone do this before or does someone have the gear to try? Would be appreciated!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I just did some testing yesterday and a new wide angle adapter is at the post office now, I am taking it home today.

The one I have is a Fotga wide angle adapter (0.65x on paper, but it really isn't that wide), it is really good on a Hoya 28mm f2.8 and really bad on everything else. The problem is that on longer lenses (also on my anamorphic setup) it makes the whole image hazy. Highlights have halos. There is a middle ring that is sharp-ish but towards the edges it gets more and more blurry, like if it was shot with a lensbaby. Stopping down improves the image a bit.

Now that is only the Fotga. Today I will test the Zomei  58mm slim wide angle adapter. It has a bigger diameter so the edges are farther from the center.

I will post some before/after images tonight.

Thanks Gábor. The fact that the Fotga works fine on your 28mm but is crap on your anamorphic/longer lenses is probably bad news. Guess the combination of all those optics just don't work well... Too bad.

It is not specially the anamorphic. If I use the Fotga on the Helios-44M by itself, it produces the same errors. So the problem with the anamorphic setup is that the taking lens is too long (focal length), I guess. Canon 50mm 1.8 and Jupiter-9 are bad too but my friend used the Fotga happily on his Nikon 18-55 kitlens. So it is not about the elements but the focal lengths.

Wide angle adapter is for wide but not that wide lenses I think.

There are relatively cheap chinese adapters out there. Buy one that you may be able to use on another lens, if the anamorphic gear doesn't like it.

I'll recharge my batteries and I'll make some pics.

The answer to this is a complicated one. In general it is no, but there are exceptions.

Look at the discussion to this vid on the tube->

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7mHjrjyOhM

What he succeeded in doing was changing the diopter of the Cinelux and placed a reverse matching diopter value lens at the front, which just happened to be the front element of an olympus wcon 8b. Therefore the diopters cancelled giving a zero power 0 diopter composite.

Most WA adapters are in the range 7-10 diopters unless you disassemble them for less power (some have 4 elements). He talks about 2 feet which is about -2 diopter on the scope and 2 diopter on the olympus wcon 8b front element. Of course this will make the rig no longer focusable but the wide angle will kind of make it pan focus.

Schneider used to make a UWL adapter for super8 cameras, on the variogon lens, but the lens had to be set to macro for it to work.

Using it or any WA with a scope may require placing a close up lens between the scope and the WA adapter

It is all down to experimentation.

I wonder: does it work?

Most anamorphic lenses don't let you get very wide. What are the results if you put a wide angle converter in front of the anamorphic? I don't think they change the focus, or do they?

Probably not a good idea on big anamorphic lenses, but what about the smaller ones? My Iscomorphot 8/2x is pretty small, would be nice to put a 0.7x wide angle converter on it for example.

Or my tiny Petit Cinvesion 1.5x.. It vignettes with taking lenses below 40mm on the GH2. Would like to be able to go a bit wider. Not looking for extreme wide, would be happy with 28mm (0.7x 40mm).

I don't have any wide angle converters, otherwise I would give it a try.. Did someone do this before or does someone have the gear to try? Would be appreciated!

Century make quite a few very high quailty x0.8 and x0.7 adapters

thay all have great glass as Century are made by Schneider in Germany

you need to find one that has a slightly bigger rear end to your anamorphics front end

so measure your anamorphic front diameter

Also Olympus x0.8 is very very sharp and cheaper

I use the olympus alot too

both have a plus effect in that they SHARPEN UP your image !!

82mm century

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item4ac2ff5049

x0.7 - (I have this one)

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item2c6e619d66

x0.8

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item257ceca65b

olympus x0.8 - I use this one too

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item2ec7a0e28c

I always use these on my Tecnoir 15mm rod rig to hold it all

those adapters are big and heavy!

I'm selling 2 Sankors - Both these lenses are superb razor sharp with wide angle adapters placed in front of them

Sankor Cinemascope 2x anamorphic lens comes with Tecnoir lens holder for 15mm rods

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/230978862836?ssPageName=STRK:MEUSX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1560.l2649

Sankor Cinemascope 2x anamorphic lens comes with Tecnoir lens holder for 15mm rods

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/230982406185?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1586.l2649

both lenses have modern new razor sharp glass (much sharper than any 16mm anamorphic) and produce cool blue flares

I bought a BIG century optics wide angle adapter in hopes of trying it out with my Kowa for B&H. Initial tests left me baffled because I could not get ANY kind of focus. Then again, it was a test-by-hand, wasn't very scientific. But I was a little bit let down. I should try it again...