My LUMIX Hardware Controller Is Complete

BTM_Pix

• Super Members
2 hours ago, Yannick Willox said:

Any news on your controller ?

Would the 8 focus points also work with an adapted 4/3 AF Lens ? That would breathe some new life in those. Problem is they go awfully out-of-focus when zooming, unless I could press a button on your controller at the same time ?

Yes, we're probably due an update aren't we.

I'm currently finishing porting the Sony version, which is more or less complete.

The Panasonic version is functionally complete but the intention is for it to be multi-platform from the off at least for those two systems. The version for Blackmagic will obviously only happen when the camera is released (though I will begin porting it next) so it remains to be seen when that will be.

The slave module integration for operating multiple cameras (even different brand ones) from one controller both individually and in a unison mode is also something that is currently being worked on. The slave module will be the small version as you can see here and will also be used to support the remote record start/stop of external audio recorders from Tascam, Zoom and SoundDevices but will also allow direct remote control of the camera through its more limited integrated buttons.

225769082_ControllerNewDisplay.thumb.jpg.004cad5b003e83157891555886968da1.jpg

With regard to the focus control, it will work on anything that the camera can drive focus on so not just native lenses but also via smart adapters from metabones etc. so, yes, if the camera can control your 4/3 lens then the controller can too. Bear in mind, it can only ever be as accurate as the adapter allows.

If the lens has servo zoom then its not beyond the bounds of possibility to create a simultaneous zoom and focus function control but it would take quite a bit of calibration setup per lens to create individual profiles for them. As I don't have any servo zooms for MFT then this is unlikely to happen anytime soon !

As for manual zooming, well, there are a couple of possibilities that I have been thinking about specifically for that but, again, its down to lens access for calibration. Its doable though as I can track the focal length position and then make focus offsets as it changes so I'm not saying no but just not yet *

* Which probably means I'll start doing it as soon as I get back ;) 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
37 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

As for manual zooming, well, there are a couple of possibilities that I have been thinking about specifically for that but, again, its down to lens access for calibration. Its doable though as I can track the focal length position and then make focus offsets as it changes so I'm not saying no but just not yet *

Great !

• Super Members
On 6/11/2018 at 8:56 PM, Trek of Joy said:

Just let us know when the Kickstarter campaign begins....

Well it has a realistic chance of being available within the next two years so I'm not sure that gels with the current ethos of Kickstarter video and photography products ;)

On 6/12/2018 at 5:38 AM, webrunner5 said:

Are you going to be selling them over the pond as they say? I am interested in the Sony one if you get it working.

Yes I will be.

The Sony version works now. I just need to bury the functions inside six layers of menus though to make Sony user's feel at home ;)

Congrats on bringing this to life. I'm sure a lot of us suffer from having many "cool" ideas that never get realised, so kudos to you. I'd love to support you with a purchase of a Panasonic unit when the time comes, just point me in the right direction when you are all setup. 

Question: Does you focus pull function work similar to the GH5's. For me this, and the remote thumbstick control of focus is worth the price of entry as a gimbal shooter. 

Great stuff mate.

• Super Members
8 hours ago, Joe F said:

Question: Does you focus pull function work similar to the GH5's. For me this, and the remote thumbstick control of focus is worth the price of entry as a gimbal shooter. 

It has 8 storable focus points and you can transition from any to any with 4 preset speeds.

The stick can do both manual focus or can act as a transition controller between 2 stored points.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 5/27/2018 at 3:51 PM, BTM_Pix said:

Well, thanks to a bit of jet lag boredom, that escalated quickly and tomorrow is now today.

I have an Alcatel Pixi 4 (4) which is a cheap 4 inch Android phone which you can get for £36.50 off Amazon. They also do a 3.5 inch version as well. 

As a phone its not going to give Samsung or Apple any sleepless nights but its a good little tool for stuff like being a pocket hotspot or running custom remote control apps ;)

This is it running an app I've just made will basically turn it into what you want which is a big record button for the GX80 (or any Panasonic camera).

You just press the screen to toggle between record and stop (red when recording).  Cheaper and easier than knocking up a piece of hardware for a task like this.

5b0ab79a63f2c_LumixBigButton.thumb.jpg.b74ed1d12c8063ec244ccee0fdaa5c87.jpg

App is here if anyone needs it.

https://mega.nz/#!5mpXTB4J!4v8WNh1l8E7HpqO9piV43LdL5NPWECVH694ye2ICDVw

Hi BTM_Pix, while we are patiently waiting for your hardware controller to be finished, is it possible to create another one purpose app to trigger a pre-programmed focus pull on the GH5? Just start A to B and back?

• Super Members
17 minutes ago, anti12 said:

While we are patiently waiting for your hardware controller to be finished is it possible to create another one purpose app to trigger a preprogrammed focus pull on the GH5? Just start A to B and back?

You are actually waiting patiently for BM to release the Pocket 4K as this is what the hold up is about as it needs to support Panasonic, Sony and BM ;)

I haven't got a GH5 but I thought it had this feature in it ?

Anyway, knocking something together that has big chunky on screen buttons like the BIG RECORD SWITCH app above wouldn't be a massive hardship though.

How about A,B,C,D with move to each when you press it and a couple of speeds ?

• Super Members
5 minutes ago, anti12 said:

That would be incredibly useful. As far as I know the focus pull couldn't be started by the Panasonic app.

Btw. the GH5 has only 3 slots to save focus positions.

Thanks for the quick response!

Right, we'll make it A,B,C,D,E,F then so we can be twice as good ;)

No promises but I'll check it back in here if I get a chance to do it over the next few weeks.

On 8/26/2018 at 2:30 AM, BTM_Pix said:

Right, we'll make it A,B,C,D,E,F then so we can be twice as good ;)

No promises but I'll check it back in here if I get a chance to do it over the next few weeks.

This would be amazing and I would happily donate a few $ in appreciation .