JVC LS300 in 2018

BTM_Pix

21 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

Off my list, thus far, I've only managed to get the Contax Zeiss 85 f1.4 

But, erm.... I've also, thus far, managed to get 2 cameras, 3 more lenses and one lens adapter that were absolutely nowhere near being on my list !

I'm here for a while longer yet though so I'll do post the final score up when I'm done.

I’ve been attempting to start a small collection of Contax Zeiss Lenses, but I just don’t think it’s in the cards. I’ve bought 3 50mm 1.7 lenses in the past 3 months and each one was not as described. I figured I’d get the mounts changed with Leitax adapters. I’m thinking I may try the ZF.2s instead. How good of a deal did you get on the 85mm?

Two other cameras and three lenses? Do tell?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Super Members
2 hours ago, mercer said:

How good of a deal did you get on the 85mm?

It was just over £300.

Its about 30-40% off what I could get one in the UK for but the bonus in Japan is how good a condition its in.

There is a 35-70mm from the same place which is about £170 that I'll be going back for tomorrow.

Same shop has your 55mm f2.8 Nikkor for $90 if you want it!

2 hours ago, mercer said:

Two other cameras and three lenses? Do tell?

I got a Sigma SD Quattro with 30mm 1.4 ART lens and a 17-50mm f2.8

Its a laughably good camera, especially with that 30mm lens. Just astonishing really and built like a brick shithouse with nice solid controls. 

As I said about buying used here, they are in such mint condition that they might as well just be described as unboxed.

The other camera and lens was a bit more vanilla which is a Sony A6500 with the kit lens. I needed a more elaborate test platform for porting my controller over to Sony than the RX100 so its not a love purchase but more of a necessity and a temporary one at that. The good news is the jet lag means I'm quite a way along with porting it over!

One thing I did get for it though which may make me keep hold it for a while is a Metabones C/Y to E Speedbooster, which makes it a whole lot more interesting. I didn't actually know Metabones made one of these but, like their other adapters, they go for really low money second hand here for some reason (certainly compared to the UK at least).

Sony do international versions of their cameras that they sell here for a premium so buying new isn't that much of a bargain but because of this there is good value in the used ones as they are locked into the Japanese menus so are much cheaper. When I say they are locked in, thats obviously the theory but as long as its not the A9, A7Riii or the A7iii its not that difficult to hack it so my A6500 is now very much an English language version but with the 30 minute time limit removed as well ;)

Total price for the SD Quattro with 2 lenses, the A6500 with kit lens and C/Y to E Speedboster was just over £1300.

Against the US prices thats possibly not even any great saving but against the UK prices it will certainly do for me.

1 hour ago, BTM_Pix said:

It was just over £300.

Its about 30-40% off what I could get one in the UK for but the bonus in Japan is how good a condition its in.

There is a 35-70mm from the same place which is about £170 that I'll be going back for tomorrow.

Same shop has your 55mm f2.8 Nikkor for $90 if you want it!

Those are unbelievable prices. That 85mm is legendary and for that price it’s robbery.

I don’t know much about the 35-70?

I’m still interested in that 55mm but not ready to buy yet.

I got a Sigma SD Quattro with 30mm 1.4 ART lens and a 17-50mm f2.8

Its a laughably good camera, especially with that 30mm lens. Just astonishing really and built like a brick shithouse with nice solid controls. 

As I said about buying used here, they are in such mint condition that they might as well just be described as unboxed.

That’s another camera I am really interested in and hoping sometime next year to get more into stills and it will be at the top of my list.

I had the 17-50mm and I quite liked it... clean and sharp enough with a little character. On my old D5500, the OS was fairly solid. 

The other camera and lens was a bit more vanilla which is a Sony A6500 with the kit lens. I needed a more elaborate test platform for porting my controller over to Sony than the RX100 so its not a love purchase but more of a necessity and a temporary one at that. The good news is the jet lag means I'm quite a way along with porting it over!

I really enjoyed the a6500 so you may end up as a fan. If you shoot in sLog2 and you’re looking to do the +2.7 exposure, you can use exposure compensation in manual mode with manual lenses and Auto ISO.

It’s a cool trick I accidentally figured out.

Let me know how the porting works, because I’ve been looking for a good 1080p S35mm Camera and I have been pretty impressed with some videos I’ve seen from the a6000. It was never on my radar before but it seems like it’s a poor man’s a7s.

I just found this. If you go to page 12, there's a lot of info on what the LS300 does with the RAW data from the sensor, and the various ways the camera lets you process/record it. However they seem pretty adamant that nobody wants RAW, and say in large red font 'RAW access is NOT needed (or wanted) in the broad-market television world.'

http://pro.jvc.com/pro/pr/2015/nab/JVC_4KCAM_WhitePaper.pdf

Perhaps their stance will change, and they'll add an update once ProRes RAW gets tested properly and is released. It'll then become more accessible and a feature many would look for in cameras of this range.

• Super Members
21 hours ago, mercer said:

That 85mm is legendary and for that price it’s robbery.

I don’t know much about the 35-70?

I went back to the scene of the crime and relieved them of the 35-70mm as for £170 its just nuts.

Its a constant 3.4 so a tiny bit slow for your requirement but I'll have it on the speedbooster so no biggie for me.

I'll have a run out of it tomorrow and post some stuff up in the lens section if I get a chance.

Its a bit of a funny range I suppose for many in that they'd prefer it to be 24-70mm or 35-85mm but I wouldn't let that put you off trying it. 

That’s another camera I am really interested in and hoping sometime next year to get more into stills and it will be at the top of my list.

Like its other Sigma brothers, its a bit of a quirky bugger, it likes light and hates AF but if you work within its limits it makes a fine image.

It has 21:9 mode which I've been messing about with here today.

5b042a082608d_SD21x9.thumb.jpg.81c26ed150acc473e5529d6e681c725d.jpg

I really enjoyed the a6500 so you may end up as a fan. If you shoot in sLog2 and you’re looking to do the +2.7 exposure, you can use exposure compensation in manual mode with manual lenses and Auto ISO.

It’s a cool trick I accidentally figured out.

Let me know how the porting works, because I’ve been looking for a good 1080p S35mm Camera and I have been pretty impressed with some videos I’ve seen from the a6000. It was never on my radar before but it seems like it’s a poor man’s a7s.

Thanks for the tip.

I'll try that tomorrow with the stolen Contax Zeiss lenses ;)

The porting is going very well. Its a bit limited at the moment with regard to replicating everything the Panasonic lets you do (though in some respects its more comprehensive) but all of the core stuff works fine. I just need some time to probe about and try and see if there is anything that can be done with focusing and to optimise the speed.

7 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

I went back to the scene of the crime and relieved them of the 35-70mm as for £170 its just nuts.

Its a constant 3.4 so a tiny bit slow for your requirement but I'll have it on the speedbooster so no biggie for me.

I'll have a run out of it tomorrow and post some stuff up in the lens section if I get a chance.

Its a bit of a funny range I suppose for many in that they'd prefer it to be 24-70mm or 35-85mm but I wouldn't let that put you off trying it. 

Like its other Sigma brothers, its a bit of a quirky bugger, it likes light and hates AF but if you work within its limits it makes a fine image.

It has 21:9 mode which I've been messing about with here today.

5b042a082608d_SD21x9.thumb.jpg.81c26ed150acc473e5529d6e681c725d.jpg

Thanks for the tip.

The porting is going very well. Its a bit limited at the moment with regard to replicating everything the Panasonic lets you do (though in some respects its more comprehensive) but all of the core stuff works fine. I just need some time to probe about and try and see if there is anything that can be done with focusing and to optimise the speed.

Yeah that Sigma looks excellent. With Raw video on my 5D, I’m used to needing light, so no biggie, I’m fact I think it has helped me improve.

And btw, I meant +1.7 not 2.7.

48 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

35-70 is still a 2x zoom. 

Same as the Sigma 50-100mm, and greater than (by a teeny amount!) the Sigma 18-35mm or Tokina 11-20mm f2.8

49 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

Hahaha. Maybe they really are? :-o

• 2 months later...

Hi All,

first post here so hello. When self shooting i use the LS300 with an Atomos Shogun and Samyang primes. As mentioned without the Shogun and its focus peaking you would need an external monitor or an EVF. However, despite this drawback the image quality (in my opinion) is great.

This was all shot with the JVC apart from 2 clips.

cheers

Thanks for the comments. It is basically the Jlog with a tiny push on the colour but hardly anything so I appreciate some may like it and some won't. The full documentary will be done by next year. The audio mix is not me as I would still be here next year trying to get my levels right! I pulled in a favour from my mate who is brilliant sports features editor.

cheers