JVC LS300 in 2018

BTM_Pix

• Super Members

Quite surprised to see one of the UK's leading photo/video retailers producing a brand new (and pretty comprehensive) video about the LS300 this late in the game.

Its a very decent run through though for anyone who hasn't really taken a detailed look at its array of tricks (and foibles) before.

I'd expect to see bundles with this probably around the £3K mark when the Ninja V comes out as the last firmware update gave the LS300 4K60p to external recorders. 

Used, I've seen them go for £1500-1800.

I can't really see it making some sort of miraculous comeback as there are tons of other options out there now compared to when it was released.

Having said that, sometimes for certain jobs you just need a camcorder and at the prices they are getting to used there aren't many offering more bang for the buck than this one does.

Budget for an EVF though.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Damn that camera. If it was just a little cheaper. It seems like such a workhorse with cool features. But the 4K seems a little brittle. The 1080p I’ve seen from it seems to have a thicker image. 

I love the color though. 

• Super Members

Aside from the 4k60p external upgrade, the last firmware update (4.0) also gave it 4:2:2 internal 4K, although only 8 bit.

It was from June/July 2017 so might be worth comparing with older footage to see if its improved any in that regard.

I only really use it for live ENG streaming so haven't done too much with any of the new features. 

• Super Members
7 minutes ago, mercer said:

Watch the LS-300 get a Raw export. It would be the camera that just keeps on giving.

I'm not sure anyone envisaged that it would get 4K60p when it was released so you never know.

As I say, its just very unusual that all of a sudden out of nowhere these 2 dealers are taking it seriously enough to start making videos about it.

Actually, its not just unusual, its downright weird.

• Super Members

I've taken full advantage of its very flexible mount and had all sorts of lenses on it!

Angenieux B4 ENG Lens with 2x doubler (which the onboard prime zoom can double again), RED PRO PL zoom and primes, Nikons, Canons, Contax Zeiss, M42 Zeiss and Meyer Optik, Leica R and the most recent one is the Mamiya 645 Medium Format 35mm.

Oh and native m43 as well obviously!

The only bugbear is having to dismantle the feet off the Canon and Nikon speed boosters as they won't mount as the ND wheel protrudes ahead of the mount.

I'll do you a few frames of JLOG tomorrow if I get a chance so you can have a look. There is a freely available LUT from JVC that you can download as a starting point. There is also a Leeming LUT for it but obviously thats a paid option. 

Pick a lens if you want to kill 2 birds with one stone.

• Super Members
14 minutes ago, mercer said:

Thanks, do you have any C-Mounts? Hell even one of the Fujian c-mounts could be fun. Also 1080p is fine.

Closest I've got is this, the original SLR Magic 35mm f1.7

I've just put it on the camera and, yes, it looks suitably silly ;)

Will that suffice ?

slr_magic_slr_3517mft_35mm_for_1_7_lens_1073537.thumb.jpg.93e2e29657ec00cbfc90427d2114676b.jpg

6 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

Quite weird why thats now another big UK dealer like ProAv making a new promo films for it.

I definitely think something is afoot with bundling the LS300 with the Atomos V for a bargain price.

It is very strange that a product so late in its life cycle is getting such a significant push behind it. 

I am going to put on my tin foil conspiracy hat (my favorite hat to wear!) and put forward a theory:

The JVC LS300 mk2 is not too far away down the road...  perhaps nearer the end of this year?

However the JVC300 never saw the success it deserved, thus JVC is behind the scenes trying to give the LS300 one last push to gain attention for its efforts to then use as a platform of existing interest in JVC cinema cameras to build off from when they launch the LS300 mk2. 

Rather than letting the JVC300 languish and disappear, then having to restart again from scratch in getting people's attention to be interested in the new LS300 mk2. 

Just saying. 

5 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

Actually, its not just unusual, its downright weird.

Exactly.... it is so weird this sounds like a conspiracy! ;-)

1 hour ago, IronFilm said:

It is very strange that a product so late in its life cycle is getting such a significant push behind it. 

I am going to put on my tin foil conspiracy hat (my favorite hat to wear!) and put forward a theory:

The JVC LS300 mk2 is not too far away down the road...  perhaps nearer the end of this year?

However the JVC300 never saw the success it deserved, thus JVC is behind the scenes trying to give the LS300 one last push to gain attention for its efforts to then use as a platform of existing interest in JVC cinema cameras to build off from when they launch the LS300 mk2. 

Rather than letting the JVC300 languish and disappear, then having to restart again from scratch in getting people's attention to be interested in the new LS300 mk2. 

Just saying. 

Your logic makes sense to me.

If it's not the LS300 mk2 then perhaps another camera, but definitely something related.

4 minutes ago, kye said:

Your logic makes sense to me.

If this ends up happening we'll need to start believing all my other pet conspiracy theories too.

5 minutes ago, kye said:

If it's not the LS300 mk2 then perhaps another camera, but definitely something related.

Totally, agreed. I was just using "LS300mk2" as a generic placeholder name to mean "JVC's next cinema camera / large sensor camcorder".

19 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

If this ends up happening we'll need to start believing all my other pet conspiracy theories too.

Hang on a minute - I never agreed to that!!  

Show me evidence in writing!!  **jumps up and down demanding evidence in true EOSHD style**

:) 

• Super Members
5 hours ago, IronFilm said:

If we see these films popping up from other dealers in other countries then it would definitely point to an awareness raising angle.

Currently its pointing to JVC UK having a warehouse full of them that they are offering to these 2 big dealers on sale or return ;)

I was surprised there wasn't anything at NAB so maybe there will be at IBC.

Even if they launch something new, I still think there is going to be an LS300 bundle upcoming with the Ninja V for at or more likely quite a bit under £3K. 

That addresses its biggest failing which is the atrocious monitoring, gives 4K60p and who knows maybe they can get ProResRAW going on it as well. 

Fuji get a lot of praise for adding chunks of new functionality with their firmware upgrades but JVC have been similarly generous with the LS300 over its lifespan so you never know.

I still use the LS300 almost daily for interviews. It's a great camera, and I've said before, I prefer using it to the FS5, although that might be due to lens choices on either cam. We only have the Sony 18-105 on the FS5, which I hate, but the LS has Sigma 18-35, and Canon 50mm 1.8. So that's of course going to change the image ALOT.

As far as if that camera is a good buy in 2018, I wouldn't buy it again now, unless they can squeeze RAW output. It's been a great cam for me in the 2 years I've had it, and I've loved using it every time I have, but with the little devil of a camera coming out (hopefully) soon, I'd rather get two of those than an LS300 with the Ninja V. 

I'll definitely keep and use my LS300 for a little longer though, it really is a great camera and I love the form factor.