Audio Recorders?

mercer

So Im sick of syncing audio between my dslr type camera's (or blackmagic pocket camera's) and my zoom H6 in post. So looking for a small setup to plug onto my camera to record xlr and mini jack to my in camera sound recording. (Its probably not possible or bad quality to put use my zoom h6 for this right?) 

I see that the beachtek dxa-micro pro+ is recommended, looks like a decent small setup. Also I like that it has an internal battery that runs for 12 hours.
I checked the Tascam DR60Dmk2 that IronFilm recommended aswell which is great, but looks like its quite a bulky setup.

These devices are over 2 years old, maybe there is already something new?

Thanks!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
43 minutes ago, zerocool22 said:

So Im sick of syncing audio between my dslr type camera's (or blackmagic pocket camera's) and my zoom H6 in post.

What is your issue? Are you clapping twice at the start of each take & using the NLE's built in features to sync by audio waveform?

I see that the beachtek dxa-micro pro+ is recommended, looks like a decent small setup.

In general, I would not recommend anybody buy new a mixer only in 2020, not when dedicated field recorders are so affordable. 

I checked the Tascam DR60Dmk2 that IronFilm recommended aswell which is great, but looks like its quite a bulky setup.

The DR60Dmk2 is only roughly an inch bigger in each direction than the Beachtek DXA-MICRO-PRO PLUS you referenced before. (plus the DR60Dmk2 isn't as long as the H6, and also the Tascam has much better ergonomics to be mounted with the camera than the Zoom H6. The Tascam DR60Dmk2 is better ergonomics too if you wish to work independently from camera as a boom op with a field mixing bag)

There is also the Tascam DR70D (only twenty bucks more than the Beachtek DXA-MICRO-PRO PLUS), which is a smaller height than the DR60D.

These devices are over 2 years old, maybe there is already something new?

Audio field recorders have a slower refresh rate than the constant update cycle of new mirrorless cameras. They're more similar to the refresh rate of cinema cameras. 

None the less, we've seen some impressive new innovations in recent years! Here is what we've got just in the last three years:

On the high end: Sound Devices Scorpio (the first really high end premium recorder from Sound Devices? At least, this is priced even higher than the 788T or 970 was!), Aaton Cantar Mini (the goodness of the X3 but in a smaller/cheaper package!), and Zaxcom Deva 24 (has the usual futuristic Zaxcom technologies such as MixAhead™)

In the low/mid range: Sound Devices 833 (a "mini Scorpio" at a cheaper price! But with some I/O stripped out, such as no DANTE) + 888 (the recorder that finally made the 788T diehard holdouts upgrade!), and the Zaxcom Nova (their most futuristic product ever?? "The Future: Now!")

In the "no budget" arena: Zoom F8n (an update to their revolutionary F8!) + F6 (their smallest F series ever, and the first with 32bit), and the Sound Devices MixPre Gen2 series (finally the MixPre series has the firmware and hardware updates to make them worthy contenders to the mighty Zoom F series). 

MIA: Tascam and Roland. 

For yourself, like the Sound Devices MixPre3 is the right pick for you I'd guess. 

4 hours ago, newfoundmass said:

Not at all. I've done it regularly to very good results. Bonus is I have the H6 recordings as back up to boot! 

This is prolly the cheapest solution for me then. Only thing I hate about the zoom h6 is that it sucks the life out of my batteries fast.

4 hours ago, zerocool22 said:

This is prolly the cheapest solution for me then. Only thing I hate about the zoom h6 is that it sucks the life out of my batteries fast.

Does it allow USB powering? Velcro a small slim USB powerbank to it. 

On 4/22/2020 at 3:44 AM, IronFilm said:

The DR60Dmk2 is only roughly an inch bigger in each direction than the Beachtek DXA-MICRO-PRO PLUS you referenced before. (plus the DR60Dmk2 isn't as long as the H6, and also the Tascam has much better ergonomics to be mounted with the camera than the Zoom H6. The Tascam DR60Dmk2 is better ergonomics too if you wish to work independently from camera as a boom op with a field mixing bag)

There is also the Tascam DR70D (only twenty bucks more than the Beachtek DXA-MICRO-PRO PLUS), which is a smaller height than the DR60D.

Thanks IronFilm for all the knowledge, I have been also looking for an external audio recorder for a while and the DR60Dmk2 is certainly in my limited budget, I think I will get one soon, is there a youtube tutorial you recommend to watch for this audio recorder?

I don't know of any specific tutorial for this one. But my two tips for this specific recorder (beyond all the general recording which is true for everything you might use) is:
1) enable dual recording
2) buy a slim USB powerbank, and velcro it to the back of your DR60D, use this to power the recorder

1 hour ago, IronFilm said:

I don't know of any specific tutorial for this one. But my two tips for this specific recorder (beyond all the general recording which is true for everything you might use) is:
1) enable dual recording
2) buy a slim USB powerbank, and velcro it to the back of your DR60D, use this to power the recorder

excellent, many thanks! :) 

On 4/23/2020 at 5:14 AM, zerocool22 said:

thanks just switched the setting!

🤘🏻 You'll get much more life outta them! :)

On 4/23/2020 at 7:08 AM, IronFilm said:

Does it allow USB powering? Velcro a small slim USB powerbank to it. 

It does! For a really small, portable recorder it really is powerful. I kinda regretted not spending a little more on a Mixpre at first but I've come to really appreciate the size and ease of use. It's quite a versatile little recorder. I even let my friend use it to record stuff for their music album during quarantine and he was really impressed. He's used to using a recording studio, but those are expensive! He just set up sound blankets and loved the results so far. 

• 2 months later...

Just wish that Zoom or someone make kind of a very small recorder that could be attached to the tripod mount. Like a Zoom H1 in "landscape" position, with the display in the left, start / stop button and the adjustment buttons on the right, all facing the operator under the camera LCD. In one side, a XLR / Mini XLR connector, in the other a mic input with plug-in power, no internal mics needed. Somewhat like a Ninja Star for audio.

1 hour ago, Márcio Kabke Pinheiro said:

Just wish that Zoom or someone make kind of a very small recorder that could be attached to the tripod mount. Like a Zoom H1 in "landscape" position, with the display in the left, start / stop button and the adjustment buttons on the right, all facing the operator under the camera LCD. In one side, a XLR / Mini XLR connector, in the other a mic input with plug-in power, no internal mics needed. Somewhat like a Ninja Star for audio.

You just describe a Sound Devices MixPre-3!

Or any other recorder from the MixPre series. 

Or any Zoom F Series recorder. (I refuse to acknowledge the F1 is part of that line up)

Or even a Tascam DR60D/DR70D/DR701

1 hour ago, IronFilm said:

You just describe a Sound Devices MixPre-3!

Or any other recorder from the MixPre series. 

Or any Zoom F Series recorder. (I refuse to acknowledge the F1 is part of that line up)

Or even a Tascam DR60D/DR70D/DR701

Not exactly.

Was not aware of the MixPre3, but I was thinking about something even smaller, simpler and MUCH cheaper (like Zoom H1 price).

Thinking about something the size of the dead JuicedLink RA 202, even "thinner" if possible, and with a front display. Zoom could do it, with the H1 internals and display.

(in fact, that gave me the idea to torn apart an H1 and put it in a custom metal enclosure...)

Is the Zoom H1N a big improvement over the H1 in ease of use ?     What about quality?    All I need is the quality of the original H1 and I need a new one but would spend the few dollars extra for the N version if it is worth it.    Just recording live music at pub and club gigs.

4 hours ago, noone said:

Is the Zoom H1N a big improvement over the H1 in ease of use ?     What about quality?    All I need is the quality of the original H1 and I need a new one but would spend the few dollars extra for the N version if it is worth it.    Just recording live music at pub and club gigs.

Get the Zoom H1n just simply for the better design to protect the mic capsules (mine on the original H1 got damaged!). 

The H1n has a few other tricks up its sleeve over the H1, such as the H1n can be a USB mic as well. 

9 hours ago, Márcio Kabke Pinheiro said:

Was not aware of the MixPre3, but I was thinking about something even smaller, simpler and MUCH cheaper (like Zoom H1 price).

I'd say the MixPre3 & Zoom F6 is already really cheap!

But if that is outside your budget range, then just get a Tascam DR60D/DR70D. Problem solved. 

You could cross you fingers and dream of a Tascam DR60D slashed in half (a DR30D?) with just a single XLR input and is half the height. But don't hold your breath. 

Thinking about something the size of the dead JuicedLink RA 202, even "thinner" if possible, and with a front display.

That has no phantom power. No recording. No LED display. 

I'd recommend the Tascam DR60D/DR70D over a JuicedLink RA 202. 
(plus of course JuicedLink doesn't exist now! Because Zaxcom's lawyers killed JuicedLink)

Zoom could do it, with the H1 internals and display.

No, Zoom can not. 

You wanted a XLR input (which is kinda pointless without P48), that means bigger size/costs. 
Also we're talking about a far more niche item than a Zoom H1n, I'd expect it would have much lower sales so less units to spread over the fixed costs such as R&D. Expect that to perhaps add on an extra twenty bucks to the final RRP. 

@IronFilm Yeah, would be a niche product for pure amateurs like me, heheheh.  If fact, was to record audio when filming concerts (I have a Sound Professionals minuscule mic which can handle high soud pressures) with easy level monitoring and being discrete.

Saw a video with a H1 tear apart, looks like the LCD display is fixed in one of the boards, maybe my idea of changing enclosures could not be feasible.