The Mighty Canon 1DXMk2

DBounce

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 5/10/2018 at 6:55 PM, salim said:

I'm curious about your shooting process. Are you doing focusing yourself. What about gimbal use? You have any wireless focus motors? 

1. I shoot by myself and with my assistant. We always have the SmallHD focus monitor on it. 

2. I’ve always shot on gimbals with manual focus. I’ve always shot on cameras that only have manual focus. This is not an issue. It’s how I learned and how I’ve always shot. I just set the focus, look at my monitor and make sure the subject I want to be in focus is in focus, then I make my move. Very simple really. On the MoVI M5 you can take one hand off and change focus while you hold the gimbal by the top handle. 

You have to treat the 1DC like a 5D mkiii basically. Use a monitor or a Zacuto Z finder and you’re set! It’s what we all did back in 2010 and that’s all I’m doing now. 

@DBounce so have you decided if you’re going to take the C200 plunge?

Also, out of curiosity... what type of stuff do you shoot? I know you are going for a cinematic look from your test videos, but it seems you may be like me... with a higher budget... a hobbyist that is really only interested in narrative filmmaking?

@DaveAltizer let us know how you get along with the M50. That camera really intrigues me for a small 1080p AF camera. And it should be great for some, for fun, 4K with c-mounts.

2 hours ago, mercer said:

@DBounce so have you decided if you’re going to take the C200 plunge?

Also, out of curiosity... what type of stuff do you shoot? I know you are going for a cinematic look from your test videos, but it seems you may be like me... with a higher budget... a hobbyist that is really only interested in narrative filmmaking?

Hi @mercer I had a chance this weekend to take the 1DXMK2 and GH5S to the track. I shot both cameras in portrait mode and compared. I wanted to see what they could deliver straight out of camera. I compared color and overall "mojo". I cheated with the GH5S adding the BPM to it, in hopes it would yield more pleasing skin. But after much review, it confirmed what I had noticed in my prior footage. The Panasonics do not deliver the same level of "mojo" as the Canons. And you will work harder to get a good look from them. 

So, about that Canon C200... YES, I will be picking one up next week... after I return from DC. Having spent more time than anyone really should, comparing footage from the camera... both in the hands of geniuses, and the completely hopeless, I have concluded that the results from this camera when in the hands of someone with reasonable skill... and some knowledge of lighting, framing etc... can be virtually indistinguishable from footage from an Alexa. In all honesty, some of the footage could have legitimately fooled me into thinking it was from the aforementioned camera. I can't say I have felt that way about the GH5/S. Yes, the C200 is a lot more money... and I know the GH5/S can deliver great result. But for me, it always seems like I have to work harder to get good result from the Panasonics. Whereas my Canons just spit out great footage effortlessly. 

As for my filmmaking focus, narrative work is really what I enjoy doing. I love to see the whole production come together to tell a story. Any camera can do that. So don't worry about a budget if it's a strain financially. Heck, there's a new movie out soon that looks like 90% of it is shot with a webcam and screen grabs. I am, as you suggested... a hobbyist. I film for the sheer love of it. This is not my day job... it is a creative outlet. I do sometimes collaborate with a small group of likeminded creatives to work on projects... but it's just for fun.

8 hours ago, Asmundma said:

I have both the 1dx2 and c200, it defenetly a step up from 1dx2. Way more DR, cleaner footage etc. 

That’s what I seeing from the footage that’s out there. Mind you, I can’t recall ever looking at footage from the 1DXMK2 and thinking, “that looks horrible”. 

I believe these two cameras will complement each other quite well. What’s you experience with this combination? 

I understand there was a firmware update for the C200. How did that affect workflow? And do you favor the mp4 or XF-AVC for 8 bit work?