The Mighty Canon 1DXMk2

DBounce

After owning this camera since launch, I still have to admit it remains my favorite hybrids. Footage is useable straight out of the camera. Canon color remain a notch above the rest. And even with a baked in picture profiles, the codec allows the footage to be pushable when CGing in post.

Still a great camera and top pick in mid 2018!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

The 1DX MKII has been the one I've wanted to buy for a while now. Currently I have a 1DC as my A cam with a 5D III RAW as B, and I always saw the 1DX MKII as the logical camera to get, to bump the 5D and become my B, especially bcuz of the DPAF. But everytime I see the camera size of the A7 line out in the field, it makes me think maybe my 1DC/5D III RAW can stay as my A/B cam combo and I just need to get something from the A7 line to use as a run n gun BROLL cam. That way I don't have to worry matching the Sony look with the Canon look when cutting between A and B cam interview shots. So yeah leaning away from the 1DX MKII now but it is still a great camera imho.

5 hours ago, mercer said:

Are you dumping the GH cameras and going back to Canon? Get a 5D Mark III and shoot ML Raw... you won’t look back. Of course if I could afford a C200, I’d be tempted. 

I wouldn't say dumping. The GH cameras play nice with anamorphic. It's something I would love to see on more cameras. Even the new BMP4k will skip anamorphic modes, so there will still be a place for the GH cameras. Honestly, they are great cameras. Bu the 1DXMk2 is no harder to work with in post. And straight from camera is pretty close to the finished product. 

The C200 was my original plan, but I got annoyed with Canon pulling a Canon and skipping the 10 bit codec, dual CFast slots, Raw out, timecode in/out etc... That said, I don't think the file sizes are much  bigger than the 1DXMk2, and IQ looks pretty good.

6 hours ago, Ty Harper said:

The 1DX MKII has been the one I've wanted to buy for a while now. Currently I have a 1DC as my A cam with a 5D III RAW as B, and I always saw the 1DX MKII as the logical camera to get, to bump the 5D and become my B, especially bcuz of the DPAF. But everytime I see the camera size of the A7 line out in the field, it makes me think maybe my 1DC/5D III RAW can stay as my A/B cam combo and I just need to get something from the A7 line to use as a run n gun BROLL cam. That way I don't have to worry matching the Sony look with the Canon look when cutting between A and B cam interview shots. So yeah leaning away from the 1DX MKII now but it is still a great camera imho.

I'm sure you'll be happy with the combo. We are rather spoiled today. There are so many great cameras available. 

I agree, the C200 RawLite is absolutely gorgeous. If you have the money for the media and the storage, you really can’t go wrong with that camera... especially if you have a specific project in mind for it that’s worth putting that little extra into.

Btw, I liked the footage you posted the other day from your 1DXii. I have the trial of Red Giant Film and it’s a cool little program.

4 hours ago, mercer said:

I agree, the C200 RawLite is absolutely gorgeous. If you have the money for the media and the storage, you really can’t go wrong with that camera... especially if you have a specific project in mind for it that’s worth putting that little extra into.

Btw, I liked the footage you posted the other day from your 1DXii. I have the trial of Red Giant Film and it’s a cool little program.

Thanks, there is definitely something about the Canons that make capturing good footage easier. I used to work hard with my Sony Alpha cams. The GH5 also more effort. The GH5S comes close, but nothing is as effortless as the Canons. 

With a little thought as to framing and decent exposure anyone can look pro with the Canons. 

Yes, the GH cameras are more detailed, but I’m starting to understand that extra detail is not always a good thing. I think I get it now:grin:

5 hours ago, DaveAltizer said:

1DC all day baby. 

1DC is a special camera. Love the look of it. To my eyes the 1DC has a classic look, whereas the 1DXMK2 has a modern flavor. Both look great. The C200 matches well to the 1DXMK2. 

These cameras have an astetic that I think many associate with “pro”. Granted, framing, lighting, good sound and interesting subject matter is left to the operator, but they do take care of one aspect that can be hard to pin down.... mojo!

@DBounce We just made a roundup about the 1DX II and 1DC and M50... it’s more on the beginners side, but even though I have my reasons for 1DC I think I agree with Brandon! Although, I did order a M50 and I’m looking forward to using that camera. Justin says it’s the cleanest looking 1080p he’s ever seen on a Canon DSLR. I hope a 90D happens soon with the same sensor and full sensor readout 4K with dual pixel AF!

11 hours ago, DaveAltizer said:

1DC all day baby. 

I can’t tell you how happy I was to hear your 1DC didn’t sell... or the guy didn’t pay... and that you decided to keep it. Do you still use the GH5s, or was that a fleeting obsession. 

Let's not forget 5D4. Same thick 500mbps MJPEG video files as 1DC/1DX2. Much lighter bodies. Best DPAF implementation (beats C200). C-Log. 

If you can deal with the crop , it's a solid camera option in Canon land imo.. they're going down in price a bit too.

If money, cards, and computing power are no problem, I’d totally still go with a 1DXii and just shoot all 4K all the time. Get an iMac Pro and edit in FCPX probably won’t even need to convert the footage to ProRes. 

But idk. I need to test this. Apple store says you can bring a hard drive and do some test edits there. I’ll bring some MJPG and try it out on the iMac pro. 

I will say, we shoot all our videos in 4K on the 1DC and I convert everything to ProRes LT on my $1200 MBP and it works fine. Just takes a while to convert