GH5s Anamorphic Shooting - Editing

RobertoSF

Finally went for a springtime hike with a friend and took a moment to do a 4K 4:3 anamorphic test shot with my GH5s and an old Lomo 35mm squarefront. The vintage "scope" look that came through was enough to warrant more tests in other conditions with other lomo lenses. But first, some questions to the EOSHD anamorphic legion:

- is there really only one 4K 4:3 anamorphic setting on the GH5s, 3328x2496 8bit ?
- recommended algorithm for processing into a video editor like Avid Media Composer (I have 8.9.1 running on a 2013 non-4K iMac)? I'm ok with bars on a 16x9 window but also like the idea of a proper 2:39 video as well sans bars. Will look to upgrade my editing system once the workflow is better understood for 4K.
- other GH5s anamorphic footage out there? 

Thanks,
Roberto

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
11 minutes ago, tweak said:

Nice and sharp! 

Not sure about the GH5s but on GH5 you can shoot 8 or 10bit 4K 4:3, or 6K 4:3 24/30fps. I assume on the GH5s you could also shoot 10bit 4K 4:3 24/30fps.

Thanks, tweak. I just noticed the scroll bar on the menu... now I  see all the other anamorphic settings, 10bit 4K 4:3, etc.

Didn't see any for 6K as yet, which might be due to the lower megapixel count than the GH5?

3 minutes ago, RobertoSF said:

Thanks, tweak. I just noticed the scroll bar on the menu... now I  see all the other anamorphic settings, 10bit 4K 4:3, etc.

Didn't see any for 6K as yet, which might be due to the lower megapixel count than the GH5?

Yep. No 6K on the GH5s unfortunately. One of the draw cards for GH5 anamorphic shooters I guess.

4 minutes ago, tweak said:

Yep. No 6K on the GH5s unfortunately. One of the draw cards for GH5 anamorphic shooters I guess.

Well, that's ok, I'm hoping the low-light performance will pay off on (typically) slow anamorphic lenses. We'll see!

1 minute ago, RobertoSF said:

Well, that's ok, I'm hoping the low-light performance will pay off on (typically) slow anamorphic lenses. We'll see!

Yep, that's one nice bonus of the GH5s! Perhaps a tad nicer colour as well.

3 minutes ago, tweak said:

Yep, that's one nice bonus of the GH5s! Perhaps a tad nicer colour as well.

Perhaps, I really do like the color, and will be sure to shoot the next test in 10bit!

For ISO, I'm wondering if it's best to stick with 800 or 1600 and let the 'dual ISO' do its magic from there? I like the freedom to ISO roam, for the clip here I had to drop the ISO down to 160 because I had an ND3 filter on (bright mid-day, ND6 would have been better). I hope the 'dual ISO' works effectively at whatever the setting?

12 hours ago, RobertoSF said:

Perhaps, I really do like the color, and will be sure to shoot the next test in 10bit!

For ISO, I'm wondering if it's best to stick with 800 or 1600 and let the 'dual ISO' do its magic from there? I like the freedom to ISO roam, for the clip here I had to drop the ISO down to 160 because I had an ND3 filter on (bright mid-day, ND6 would have been better). I hope the 'dual ISO' works effectively at whatever the setting?

I'm not sure because I don't shoot with the GH5s. But from what I understand with the GH5, the best DR is found at it's base 400ISO setting. Probably DR is best at the GH5s base dual ISO's as well. That bbeing said if the image is clean and you expose properly I don't see an issue with changing ISO as it doesn't make a massive difference to my images or work flow. I just try not to go much over 1600iso on the GH5 to limit noise.

6 hours ago, tweak said:

I'm not sure because I don't shoot with the GH5s. But from what I understand with the GH5, the best DR is found at it's base 400ISO setting. Probably DR is best at the GH5s base dual ISO's as well. That bbeing said if the image is clean and you expose properly I don't see an issue with changing ISO as it doesn't make a massive difference to my images or work flow. I just try not to go much over 1600iso on the GH5 to limit noise.

That's the ISO space I prefer being in, settled around 400, stay under 1600.

Interested to do more testing now. Thanks, tweak.

4 hours ago, DBounce said:

Anamorphic with the GH5/S is a blast to shoot with. Both cameras do 10 bit. The GH5S can stop down more and stay clean. The GH5 works well hand held.

Thanks D, inspires me to get out and try some more tests, especially at night.

Ideally, I would add a GH5 and use it handheld, keeping my GH5s in it's cage on sticks. ; ) Maybe I'll sell my old GH4, which I hardly ever used (I kept picking up my GH2).

• 5 months later...

Hi i'm also looking for my first anamorphic setup with the Gh5/ GH5s. I am set with using a Helios 44-2 as a taking lens but from there I'm at a loss about the next stuff / correct stuff to buy. I don't want to buy an anamorphic then realize it's too heavy for a GH5. Any suggestions or a thread, where I can start building up an anamorphic setup. So now I'm gonna buy a Helios 44-2 then a clamp, then a Sankor 16c? And then i assume are 15mm rods for rails.. Sorry I did my research but I do not want to buy an expensive premade anamorphic setup by anamorphiclenses shop. Thank you for any advice!