nikon mirrorless only a year away!

gethin

OR they can deliver BOTH solutions, a Z mount Df style mirrorless, AND a D750 successor without mirror. And see which works better in long term.

But lets face the fact. The problem legacy lens owners have is not really about mount compatibility. The problem is the AF motor in their lenses. All mirrorless system use CD as main AF or complementary AF to PD, and you know DSLR lenses suck in CD. They are designed in a way to move heavy glasses in few but big steps, not doing many but small back and forth movements. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

While it is true that the problem is not MOUNT compatibility, the facts are that the oldest lenses can in some cases break the mirror of some cameras and that even still current cameras will not work with the LATEST lenses.

As for compatibility, well you can even mount and use AI/AIS Nikon lenses on Pentax cameras if you are careful (do this at your own risk).      I once got a damaged old Nikon 35 1.4 and a battered old Nikon 85 1.8 to use on Pentax bare without adapters and I preferred the 85 on the Pentaxes to my old Nikon D50.

The 85 worked well on my Sony too (with adapter) but I recently gave it away to a friends daughter for use on her Nikon DSLR but had to warn her to check first if it would break the mirror on her camera.

On 5/3/2018 at 3:56 AM, JurijTurnsek said:

CIPA sales numbers only show a slow rise in mirrorless sales, but they do not show the huge Canon/Nikon base of users not buying anything new and that would buy a mirrorless body only from their preferred brand no matter the features. Migration to Sony will slow down to a crawl, I'm afraid. Sony would more a more affordable lens line, but even then the retail presence of Canikon will be hard to beat.

I mean, what good is innovation when an average customer will believe the marketing more. And marketing can claim anything they want and a strong brand reputation will seal the deal.

There you go.  I've said this for years.  I don't know where people live but EVERY store local to me carries plenty of Canon and Nikon options in the low and lower middle end.  There is some low end Sony here and there and no decent Panasonic or Olympus.

I can walk in to a whole sale warehouse store and literally see a shipping pallet full of Canon and zero Panasonic ICL cameras.

I just read Thom Hogans best guesses and he thinks nikon is being coy saying the camera will be released next spring. He actually thinks they'll have something to show at photokina.  I can just about hang on for that :)

Re the mount/adaptor thing: I have a speedbooster glued to the front of my gh5.  I hardly remember it's there any more. As long as the build quality is there I don't see the issue. New mount = short flange distance = adaptable. 

Also the rumor is that each new z-mount lens will have 2 motors ie autofocus will move 2 groups of elements = smaller lenses with much better controlled aberrations.  I can imagine nikon saying "if we have to create a new lens mount, what extra value can we bring to the lenses".   If true this will mollify all the people banging on about their F-mount collections :)

8 hours ago, gethin said:

I just read Thom Hogans best guesses and he thinks nikon is being coy saying the camera will be released next spring. He actually thinks they'll have something to show at photokina.  I can just about hang on for that :)

Nikon need to get "new products"(whatever  they may be)available before XMas to boost the current financial year.

They have only released one body in the last twelve months the D850 is just too expensive for a lot of photographers.

Based on figures from two or three years ago aprox 80% of their camera sales were APS-C,something that Canon doesn't

over look with a full range of  APS-C bodies down to the very cheap !.

There is always the option of putting an EVF in the current DSLR bodies, like Sony did with the A mount series, while developing a new "Z mount" range. At some point the components for an EVF and on-sensor PDAF will be cheaper than worrying about all that flappy mirror and AF module stuff. Maybe looking at the smaller bodies like the D3000 or D5000 series, that are currently mostly used with a fairly limited range of lenses so no need for screw drive motor etc.

On 5/7/2018 at 9:44 AM, Aussie Ash said:

Nikon need to get "new products"(whatever  they may be)available before XMas to boost the current financial year.

They have only released one body in the last twelve months the D850 is just too expensive for a lot of photographers.

Based on figures from two or three years ago aprox 80% of their camera sales were APS-C,something that Canon doesn't

over look with a full range of  APS-C bodies down to the very cheap !.

People easily overlook that the champion in sales is APS-C, and smaller than full frame sensors in general. Not a lot of people want to carry around big, heavy and quite expensive lenses.

It is good that Nikon is finally preparing a full frame mirrorless, but I would prefer to see an APS-C body. I seriously have no desire for a full frame camera at all, and I am not the only one (sales!).

• Super Members
49 minutes ago, Aussie Ash said:

From the article :

"A North-American company, producing special cameras for the movie and defence industry - Photo-Sonics, founded by Adolf Furer in 1924 - used many Nikkors with special converted mounts."

Boy, that was a hell of an unfortunate name to have a few years later.

Reminds me of this 

tumblr_lph0u1p8bi1qfvq9bo1_1280.thumb.jpg.3dbe3187026b68913103ca646a2f2ece.jpg