Ugly Bokeh Sometimes on Canon 50mm f/1.2L?

Snowbro

I noticed it looks fine when when shooting 120p 1080 video, but sometimes it creates tons of little ugly bokeh all over (tons of tiny bokeh balls with a kind of drop shadow almost), even things miles into the distance on photos. If I shoot more directly into the sun, it smooths things out again usually. My box came extremely beat up and the packing air pockets were popped. I don't know if anything got messed up; I doubt it, but I would like some input. I looked at tons of pictures on Flickr and saw a few that look like what I am talking about. Wanting to know if this is just how the lens is or if mine is bad, it focuses worse than my 85mm f/1.2 in photos and video. 

It looks like a very cheap lens at times which is disappointing, even my sigma 35 1.4 I used in similar framing on exact shots looked a ton smoother. I was not expecting that at all. 

All of these pictures are similar framing and cropped a fairly similar percentage (1/3 frame horizontally). 

Canon 50 @ f/1.2 (none of my other lenses have ever done this) 

Bokeh1.jpg.92e9bdee7ae72eb79bdf408039122016.jpg

Canon 50 @f/1.2 shooting almost directly into sun

Bokeh2.thumb.jpg.795712d507f44566634f54b7b333842d.jpg

Sigma 35 @ f/1.4

Bokehsigma35.thumb.jpg.87051b1cdea12c4f65bfb57d8f70b14a.jpg

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

https://kenrockwell.com/canon/lenses/50mm-f12.htm

The bokeh sounds consistent with the review. But the AF seems off... of course if you’re not using AF Fine Tuning it seems like it will be difficult to get perfect, fast AF wide open. 

I don’t own the lens, but I’ve been looking at getting the FD L version and they share similar characteristics. 

On 5/1/2018 at 4:16 PM, hmcindie said:

I love the bokeh of the 1.2 50mm. It looks like anamorphic in some situations (stretched out over the corners). One of the best lenses I've ever bought.

Yeah, it was in the corners more than anywhere else. I had a new one sent out; tested it inside & it is much faster/accurate autofocus than the first copy. I will see how it compares to the first one tomorrow. Every lens I have used on this 1DX II has been lightning fast, even the Sigmas. 

Quick Update: I got a different copy sent out (somehow also beat up severely from fedex). This one does not have terrible bokeh and it focuses fast/accurate. It does exhibit one odd trait though; the last one had minimal red flaring when shooting towards the sun around golden hour and sunset. This new one has very dark red flaring in a huge red circles. Not sure what anti flare coating it has, but it seems as if this one has much more or less of it than the last one. I will test it more, but it seems like I can't catch a break with this model haha.