NX1 users workshop

fletch murray

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 11/05/2018 at 2:46 PM, fletch murray said:

Here's a video of three anomalies I've noticed with the NX1.  Let me know if you can help sort these out.  I love the NX1 and would like to have other NX1 users share their workarounds. 

Personally I would reset the camera and then re-flash the latest firmware 1.41, it seems that you have a software glitch that hopefully this will correct.

https://matteverglade.com/cameras/nx-firmware/

Good luck.

Here is the second test of the NX1. Welcome to a detective story.  This second test is solely on the quirk my NX1 does. The quirk is that when I am in "M" mode, and I change from STILL to VIDEO, the NX1 goes into its own "auto exposure" mode and locks me out of changing the f stop.  I bring this up because I want to hear from other NX1 users to see if that's happening to you.  Let me know.  BREAKTHROUGH: As I ran the tests the NX1 only exhibited the quirk 50% of the time in "M" mode. I've marked these incidents with a red bar so you can find them easily. (There's a blue bar on the video for the times the NX1 functioned correctly.)  I also set the Mode Dial to C2 and found that the NX1 operated correctly 100% of the time.  I'm guessing it is a malfunction in the Mode Dial, but it is not consistent.  I didn't edit down the video because I thought if you saw the entire test you might spot something that I've missed that triggers the quirk. Thanks for your help.  I changed no variables other than the Mode setting.   Also, if you know a Samsung number to call that can reach someone in a higher position than the customer support line I'd be grateful to know it.  I talked to Samsung help line last week and they said that the repair department would contact me in the next 48 hours.  They wouldn't give me their phone number or address.  Stay tuned.  I hope Andrew Reid might catch sight of this and add his shoulder to the wheel at getting this sorted out.  It's hard for me to believe that I'm the only NX1 user having these types of issues with the NX1.  It's an awesome camera but as a professional I can't have it decide on its own to exhibit a quirk while I'm filming an interview.

I tried it several times with almost the same settings (things like AF responsiveness and Master Black Level might have been different), but I couldn't reproduce it. The exposure doesn't change when I enter video mode (similar environment with window and curtain) and the aperture always stays functional, changing the total exposure as it should.

On 14/05/2018 at 2:35 PM, fletch murray said:

Here is the second test of the NX1. Welcome to a detective story.

Hi Fletch

Seriously, why not try resetting and re-flashing the firmware? Are you actually looking for a cure? It could save you a lot of unnecessary pain and grief. I can pretty much guarantee that if you have to send this camera to a service centre this is likely the first thing that they will try. It's very easy to do and would eliminate software as an issue and may point towards a hardware fault for which you will not find a cure in this forum, regardless of how many tests you undertake or videos that you produce.

I don't get why you ask for help and then completely ignore advice that you are given.

Hi Happy Daze,  I guess I neglected to tell you that I had done the reinstall the 1.41 firmware two days before the first test video I posted and receiving your recommendation to resetting and re-flashing the firmware.  Is there an additional step after re-installing called "re-flashing"?  I suppose I could reinstall 1.41 again. 

BTW, I contacted Samsung's Support Line last week and they said the "service center" would be calling me in 48 hours to set up sending it in to be serviced.  It's been three days and I haven't heard from the service center.  Nor would the Support Line give me the number to the service center. 

Do you have a number or a location of the service center?

Hi Fletch,

"Flashing", "Reinstalling" same thing. Before or after firmware flashing did you reset the camera? You will find "Reset" in the fourth Menu (The Cog).

I would suggest that the best practice for any firmware upgrade is to reset the device before and after flashing, can't hurt to try. If this does not improve things then it is probably a hardware fault and from what you say it is most likely that the Mode switch at fault (as reported by others around the inter-web). Some say squirting switch cleaner under the dial has helped but I have serious doubts that the fluid will reach the right place and instead run where it shouldn't (even though a decent switch cleaner should evaporate). Likely the camera is sealed at this point to fluid intake anyway as part of the weather-proofing, so best advice is don't try it.

Good luck, and I hope that the Samsung customer service comes through and does not continue to disappoint NX customers with their apparent complete lack of support. It would be nice to hear about a happy outcome so please keep us up to date.

4 hours ago, Happy Daze said:

Hi Fletch,

"Flashing", "Reinstalling" same thing. Before or after firmware flashing did you reset the camera? You will find "Reset" in the fourth Menu (The Cog).

I would suggest that the best practice for any firmware upgrade is to reset the device before and after flashing, can't hurt to try. If this does not improve things then it is probably a hardware fault and from what you say it is most likely that the Mode switch at fault (as reported by others around the inter-web). Some say squirting switch cleaner under the dial has helped but I have serious doubts that the fluid will reach the right place and instead run where it shouldn't (even though a decent switch cleaner should evaporate). Likely the camera is sealed at this point to fluid intake anyway as part of the weather-proofing, so best advice is don't try it.

Good luck, and I hope that the Samsung customer service comes through and does not continue to disappoint NX customers with their apparent complete lack of support. It would be nice to hear about a happy outcome so please keep us up to date.

In Europe they are still servicing NX cameras.

In my country, the last NX camera imported was the NX300, but even thought they abandoned the market since then, they are still servicing NX cameras, in 5-10 working days usually.

• 1 month later...
On ‎2018‎-‎04‎-‎27 at 9:57 PM, fletch murray said:

Question 3: "Do you find that the NX1 will override your settings in video if it feels the shot is overexposed?" This happened on a shoot we did of a woman in open shade with bright wall behind her.  The NX1 stopped down (though not in AUTO ISO) to compensate for all the white.

Hello,
I have NX1 for personal photos, it means I use it rarely, sometimes weekend, family events.
One evening late, after a storm passed by my house, sky cloudly and lot of thunders, I did a test, working only manual to a video, UDH4k24p, I set exposure at 1/25s (almost 360), but while shooting I saw it was changed to 1/30s.

While mine example is vice-versa vs. to "compensate" anything (it was anyway exposure compensation "-2" = underexposed, trying to have bigger DoF and low ISO), I sow it overide my settings.  Could be a limit of what NX1 can, needed that time (1/25 - 1/30 s) maybe to to read/proccess data flow.

• 9 months later...