NX1 users workshop

fletch murray

Andrew, I hope you'll respond to this as well as let us set up an ongoing NX1 users forum (not just one reflecting on the past nor the hopes for the future and an NX2, and I would buy one tomorrow.  Since there's no tech support line to call, I hope to answer some questions about odd things that have happened.   I've been using my NX1 for four years and love it.    Here are my top three questions.  Question 1 is: "Why would the luminance "bounce" on this shot?"  Question 2: "Has anyone had their NX1 go green on a night shoot?"  https://vimeo.com/152670688  . Question 3: "Do you find that the NX1 will override your settings in video if it feels the shot is overexposed?" This happened on a shoot we did of a woman in open shade with bright wall behind her.  The NX1 stopped down (though not in AUTO ISO) to compensate for all the white.    So, I feel like I'm married to Marilyn Monroe. The NX1 is stellar in so many situations (unparalled auto focus performance in the video below,

but once a year it goes a little nuts. NX1 goes green_SAM_0053_160121.mp4   Thanks - Fletch

Nx1 Bouncing Luminance.mov

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Were you shooting with a Kelvin white balance? If you set your white balance to a Kelvin value you'll be in for a bad time. I did a few tests and found that almost every shot had weird color shifts, sometimes for single frames, and sometimes for seconds at a time. It did seem to be "overriding" my picture profile or something.

I've never had that issue in any other white balance setting, so AFAIK it's just a really bad bug with Kelvin white balance.

Hi, KnightsFan

I was filming just AWB settings.  Both times it happened were at extremely dark shoots, i.e. the dance performance and a night shoot of a street scene.  I bought my first NX1, which is the one that did the dance video rehearsal green change. So I sent it back.  I bought a second one and it didn't do it's first "green shift" until I'd had it for a year.  Anyway, thanks for responding.  I want to gather more NX1 users to fill in for the missing customer service from Samsung.

I've never shot in AWB, but I wouldn't be surprised if it had the same glitch. Fwiw, I can usually produce bizarre color shifts by quickly changing a manual lens' aperture from wide open to closed. I think it has to do with sudden exposure changes. But again I've never seen it happen with a white balance preset or when it's set to a white card.

I like the performance of the Cookie Cutter ladies. Great music and choreographic. You're walking from outside to inside and you probably have inside different colours of light. AWB will always look for the best - but that is not the best for you. Better is when you focus on a white board with the most lights on it and do manual WB, or choose the best standard there is. Nice filmed, thanks for sharing!

Thanks.  I guess I didn't get the real terrifying thing that happened.  Did you see the video where it goes from full color to black and green in an instant?  Here's the link again.  

That's the anomaly I was really hoping for someone to say, "Yeah. That happened to me too."  and maybe have a fix or a reason why it happened to me twice with two different NX1s. In this rehearsal video it happened twice....went from wonderful color to black and green in the middle of the shot.  Check it out.  I hope Andrew can address this, too.

I haven't had that green thing. But in the beginning when I got the nx1, I had a video with one duplicated frame and also with an odd frame from a different time. The video goes, and suddenly there is 1 different frame from a further time in the same clip. But I haven't encountered those things since then.

As for the exposure changes - I assume that you shot in M mode. I have had a similar thing, where it was in M mode, but the exposure changed like in some auto mode. The fault was the dial, it was showing M, but actually custom mode 1 was enabled. I guess something is a bit broken inside, because it has happened multiple times, though very rarely, so I just live with it.

Never had any of those in video. Just be sure that you press the Video Mode View button (the trashcan usually) before hit record, and the Dial is a known NX issue, happening with older models too. It hasn't happened to my NX1 cameras, but to an NX300 (tragically, but is not mine anymore) and my NX500 started acting up recently, but not dramatically (yet).

I have had those corrupted green frames maybe once or twice over the last four years or so (in one case it did indeed ruin a shot). I attribute it to a random, very rare encoding glitch of some kind, since if you look at that green frame carefully you'll probably see the codec itself start to break apart slightly before and slightly after. The problem I've been running into more and more (which has me a little alarmed) is a different kind of codec glitch, where the video basically just tears itself apart for just a single frame or two, almost a deinterlacing-looking artifact of some kind (most of the time it seems to occur at 120p, although on my current project I've noticed it happening a few times at 60p as well) it happens really fast but is very noticeable once the clip is slowed down. I'm not sure if it's just an issue of pushing the bitrate so high, or something inside my NX1 is starting to wear out, but it's rather troubling. 

Thanks for the comments, guys.  I did an update to v1.41 and so far no greenies.  It only has happened when I'm shooting a black stage or the blackness of night.  I held my breath during a night shoot but it worked great.  The funny thing I've found is that in video mode the NX1 ignores the f/stop setting and determines what it thinks is best.  So I shot a woman against a white wall and couldn't get the camera to hold the f/stop I set for the face.  Instead it darkened the shot to keep the wall from blowing out.  The only way I could find around it was to do an EV adjustment and that seemed to compensate for the "auto exposure" subprogram that only seems active in video recording. Oddly enough I found that the EV setting actually does set the iris of the lens.  I looked down the barrel.  So the NX1 is wide open.  I have ISO in AUTO.  I click the AEL to stop AUTO ISO from fluctuating.  Then, I set the EV value to be where I want it.  When I click "roll" the f stop jumps to where it needs to be to achieve the EV setting. It's an odd work around but that's a path I found to override the "know-best" auto exposure the NX1 seems to have in the video mode.  

1 hour ago, fletch murray said:

Thanks for the comments, guys.  I did an update to v1.41 and so far no greenies.  It only has happened when I'm shooting a black stage or the blackness of night.  I held my breath during a night shoot but it worked great.  The funny thing I've found is that in video mode the NX1 ignores the f/stop setting and determines what it thinks is best.  So I shot a woman against a white wall and couldn't get the camera to hold the f/stop I set for the face.  Instead it darkened the shot to keep the wall from blowing out.  The only way I could find around it was to do an EV adjustment and that seemed to compensate for the "auto exposure" subprogram that only seems active in video recording. Oddly enough I found that the EV setting actually does set the iris of the lens.  I looked down the barrel.  So the NX1 is wide open.  I have ISO in AUTO.  I click the AEL to stop AUTO ISO from fluctuating.  Then, I set the EV value to be where I want it.  When I click "roll" the f stop jumps to where it needs to be to achieve the EV setting. It's an odd work around but that's a path I found to override the "know-best" auto exposure the NX1 seems to have in the video mode.  

Sorry, but I do not understand what are you talking about. I use full M on video, and I get full M. Are there other people having similar issues? and of course I never get the "greenies". I have 2 NX cameras and using them professionally for 2-3 years now (the one, the other was bought used almost 2 years ago), sometimes for 5-6 recorded hours on heavy work days.

If you have ISO in AUTO, doesn't that compensate for the other settings on your image?

Kisaha, thanks for the comment.  I'll prepare a video showing what my NX1 is doing and the odd workaround I've devised.  I should have it up in a day or so. 

I would like nothing better than to debug this area.  I love the camera and would buy two more if I could get this stabilized.  Samsung's got a stellar camera here and it blows me away every time I use it, especially in low light. The resolution is awesome.

I tell people having my NX1 might be like being married to Marilyn Monroe.  Unbelievable, heavenly bliss except once a year there's just a few seconds of ncosudfasdXXC**00-09lfnjsdf?moemosndn(%^@))ntasdlhthehndnds.  and then she's fine again.  I've been a D.P. for thirty years. Have a 5D M3.  Glad we're sorting this out.  Love to have my "Marilyn" drop that little quirk.

3 hours ago, fletch murray said:

Kisaha, thanks for the comment.  I'll prepare a video showing what my NX1 is doing and the odd workaround I've devised.  I should have it up in a day or so. 

I would like nothing better than to debug this area.  I love the camera and would buy two more if I could get this stabilized.  Samsung's got a stellar camera here and it blows me away every time I use it, especially in low light. The resolution is awesome.

I tell people having my NX1 might be like being married to Marilyn Monroe.  Unbelievable, heavenly bliss except once a year there's just a few seconds of ncosudfasdXXC**00-09lfnjsdf?moemosndn(%^@))ntasdlhthehndnds.  and then she's fine again.  I've been a D.P. for thirty years. Have a 5D M3.  Glad we're sorting this out.  Love to have my "Marilyn" drop that little quirk.

I do not doubt you in any sense. I just can't comprehend the issue! Why do you not try with everything in manual? Including ISO? I would guess that AUTO ISO can do things to the image, auto things!

I bet Merilyn was much worse, but with similar ending as the NX. Their "bosses" end them inexplicably and at their peak. 

Light is not a uniform color. Unless in direct light, everything you see is lit by reflected light, and that light will take on whatever hue it is reflecting from. Seeing changes in white balance is normal if you are changing scenes and lighting conditions.

28 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

@fletch murray You can't change your aperture in video mode?! I am not sure what other people will say, but this is not the normal behaviour of my cameras. 

As of the 3rd, I am using FilmConvert settings and I am not overthinking it. I had great results with Vivid and Normal as well.

Kisaha, thanks for the comment.  As you can see if you watch the video, once I go into video mode, the NX1 locks me out of adjusting the f/stop.  I can move the dial all I want but the actual f/stop is not changing.  So, please send me a short clip of you videoing something and change your f/stop while doing so.  I need proof that my NX1 has a flaw so that Samsung will provide me a replacement camera, if possible.  Thank you.

10 minutes ago, fletch murray said:

Kisaha, thanks for the comment.  As you can see if you watch the video, once I go into video mode, the NX1 locks me out of adjusting the f/stop.  I can move the dial all I want but the actual f/stop is not changing.  So, please send me a short clip of you videoing something and change your f/stop while doing so.  I need proof that my NX1 has a flaw so that Samsung will provide me a replacement camera, if possible.  Thank you.

Sorry, but I do not post anything else than words, in any forum, but do you know any camera, ever, not been able to change its f/stop?

Just go to Samsung and tell them "my camera doesn't allow me to change the f/stop when I go into video mode"! You don't need proof for that, is a serious issue that affect yours/ours work.

Go check with them really soon. Good luck.