Behind the Scenes footage

IronFilm

• 1 month later...
EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, KnightsFan said:

Have you ever used bluetooth to transmit LTC to the camera?

I have six words for you:
Do not.
Do not.
Do not.

8 hours ago, KnightsFan said:

I'm trying to send LTC from the Sub Out of an F4 to the camera.

WTF??? 
WHY????
Use the BNC TC output on the bottom of the F4 :-)

Also, another video is up:

7 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Do not.
Do not.
Do not.

Why not? Latency, unreliability, or what?

7 hours ago, IronFilm said:

WTF??? 
WHY????
Use the BNC TC output on the bottom of the F4 ?

So that was actually another question. Are the bnc connectors LTC compatible? As in, will the F4 sync to LTC generated from a smartphone app and then properly send it from bnc? I read that it would not work.

The tc is being generated in a smartphone app along with other metadata. In fact, i am more interested inthe metadata than having perfect sync. So i can't generate tc in the f4 itself. Alternatively, it could be sent from the phone to both the f4 and camera, but that would still require a wireless link in roughly the same place.

9 hours ago, KnightsFan said:

Why not? Latency, unreliability, or what?

How would you even send TC over bluetooth from the F4?? Sure there is the app, which displays it, but what practical purpose does it have when used with a camera, who would you then get it into a camera to be used? (this is why we have TC boxes) Then you have range issues etc

So that was actually another question. Are the bnc connectors LTC compatible? As in, will the F4 sync to LTC generated from a smartphone app and then properly send it from bnc? I read that it would not work.

This sounds like a very confused question. Why on earth would you make a smartphone be your master clock???

3 hours ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

Gonna have to binge watch these sometime this week. Thanks for taking the time to do this, always cool to see actual on set work being done.

That will take a few weeks of watching a better! 
I wonder if anybody has ever watched all my videos? Not even I have done that :-o 

3 hours ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

How did you come to learn audio as well as you do? 

Extreme obsession. 
Some textbooks. 
Hanging out on forums all the time like jwsoundgroup
Some youtube channels like Matt Price's one. 
Doing it all the time as much as I can on as many shoots as possible. (on which point, must dash! Have another shoot soon. Just some corporate one I'm doing sound for, nothing too exciting though. I won't vlog about it)

along with other metadata.

What other metadata? Sadly we don't seem to have a good standard way to do this widespread sharing of metadata easily on sets, with Timecode System's :blink network with a 6 series perhaps kinda being one exception. 

1 hour ago, IronFilm said:

How would you even send TC over bluetooth from the F4?? Sure there is the app, which displays it, but what practical purpose does it have when used with a camera, who would you then get it into a camera to be used? (this is why we have TC boxes) Then you have range issues etc

Bluetooth transmitter and receiver. They are dirt cheap, and i've already got a couple receivers lying around. Range isnt a huge issue. The only reason i'm doing it wirelessly is so it doesnt throw a gimbal off balance.

This sounds like a very confused question. Why on earth would you make a smartphone be your master clock

the app stores metadata, and i use tc to match that metadata with video and audio clips. As long as the latency is within a reasonable time (1 or 2 seconds) and the clock doesnt drift by a drastic margin (30% faster or slower), it works for my purpose.

In my tests so far, the system works, except it has always been wired since i dont have a transmitter.

What other metadata? Sadly we don't seem to have a good standard way to do this widespread sharing of metadata easily on sets

Scene, angle, and take stored in user bits for now. Its an early prototype (i am the app developer). Eventually there will be more, so it can be linked to storyboards and camera info for a more complete system. There is a companion desktop application that sorts everything in post.

I suppose technically there is no reason i am using ltc per se, except that its an existing standard that i can piggy back off of. It lets me test a lot of my custom code against existing ltc for debugging without wondering which end is failing.

Which brings me back to the wireless problem. I hope to borrow real transmitters on my next shoot when i take this system for a test drive, but if that falls through, bluetooth could be a $20 solution. Edit: And of course bluetooth is built into phones, so eventually I will make a single-device solution. The only problem is that my (cheap) phone can only connect to one device at a time.

4 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Extreme obsession. 
Some textbooks. 
Hanging out on forums all the time like jwsoundgroup
Some youtube channels like Matt Price's one. 
Doing it all the time as much as I can on as many shoots as possible. (on which point, must dash! Have another shoot soon. Just some corporate one I'm doing sound for, nothing too exciting though. I won't vlog about it)

How confident were you when you took your first job?

Bluetooth transmitter and receiver. They are dirt cheap, and i've already got a couple receivers lying around. Range isnt a huge issue. The only reason i'm doing it wirelessly is so it doesnt throw a gimbal off balance.

Back in the day, people would use say a G3 to transmit TC. I wouldn't settle for anything less like using a bluetooth audio transmitter!

But this still makes no sense, why are you not taking TC from the BNC TC output of the F4???

And why use a bluetooth transmitter at all when a Tentacle Sync E is so very small / lightweight / cheap!

the app stores metadata, and i use tc to match that metadata with video and audio clips. As long as the latency is within a reasonable time (1 or 2 seconds) and the clock doesnt drift by a drastic margin (30% faster or slower), it works for my purpose.

Which app exactly is this? Movie Slate Pro?

Scene, angle, and take stored in user bits for now. Its an early prototype (i am the app developer).

Ahhhhh.... I see now! 

Well, that isn't the usual usage for UB. 
Normally that is set to the day's date then left alone for the whole day's shoot, until the next day. 

Which brings me back to the wireless problem. I hope to borrow real transmitters on my next shoot when i take this system for a test drive, but if that falls through, bluetooth could be a $20 solution. Edit: And of course bluetooth is built into phones, so eventually I will make a single-device solution. The only problem is that my (cheap) phone can only connect to one device at a time. 

I highly highly HIGHLY RECOMMEND you talk to the guys at Timecode Systems Ltd, get yourself an  Ultrasync BLUE

https://www.timecodesystems.com/products-home/ultrasyncblue/

Earlier in the thread I mentioned :Blink to you, and indeed now I know more about what you're doing I reckon this absolutely is the path you should investigate first because you're developing a new app. 

What you want to do is make sure your app can talk with TCS' gear, so a person could just velcro an Ultrasync BLUE to the pack of their phone/tablet (so that the Ultrasync BLUE is kept nearby in range always to the app device), then the rest of the cameras/recorders on set can all be on the :Blink network (using Ultrasync ONEs and a :Wave for instance).

Also check out very very thoroughly what Movie Slate Pro already does, you'll need to think about a few questions: are you going to be an additional tool alongside Movie Slate Pro? Or are you aiming to replace it completely with something better? Or is your goal completely different?

5 hours ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

My first "jobs" were on student short films, or no budget web series, or similar such shoots. 

How confident was I? Very. 

As I'd been "DoP" or AC on numerous such shoots like those already, and I felt confident I could perform better than the average soundie I'd usually see on such levels of shoots!

13 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

I have.

I've gone so far back in your archive that your beard was only a goatee ;)

Hahaha! I know that is a lie. 
Because I already had a beard when I started the "Sound Speed!" channel.

Although many many years ago, I used to rock a goatee which was just as long as my beard is now (if not longer!). 

3 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Well, that isn't the usual usage for UB. 
Normally that is set to the day's date then left alone for the whole day's shoot, until the next day.

I have this condition where I can't leave well enough alone...

What you want to do is make sure your app can talk with TCS' gear, so a person could just velcro an Ultrasync BLUE to the pack of their phone/tablet (so that the Ultrasync BLUE is kept nearby in range always to the app device), then the rest of the cameras/recorders on set can all be on the :Blink network (using Ultrasync ONEs and a :Wave for instance).

That's a really good idea for down the line when I've got a mostly-finished product! It's still early days. I looked into a lot of those systems when you mentioned it before.

Also check out very very thoroughly what Movie Slate Pro already does, you'll need to think about a few questions: are you going to be an additional tool alongside Movie Slate Pro? Or are you aiming to replace it completely with something better? Or is your goal completely different?

I checked out Movie Slate Pro and a handful of other apps. My app is primarily for personal use/just a fun project that will do a LOT of work for me in post. My idea is quite different, with a little bit of overlap of course.

Thanks for all the advice!

12 hours ago, IronFilm said:

My first "jobs" were on student short films, or no budget web series, or similar such shoots. 

How confident was I? Very. 

As I'd been "DoP" or AC on numerous such shoots like those already, and I felt confident I could perform better than the average soundie I'd usually see on such levels of shoots!

Same for me in my day job.  If I come across potential work and I think "wow, that seems like it might be beyond my skill level" I stop and think about the alternative, which is someone else doing it.  That usually 'inspires' enough confidence to jump in and do it :)

18 hours ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

My advice if you're contemplating taking on jobs you're not sure if you're up for is this:

• Get as much experience as you can in your own time
  • When talking to potential clients, highlight your strengths and previous experience, but be honest and don't promise anything you can't be 100% sure you can deliver
  • If the client takes you on, work your ass off to make them as happy as you possibly can (both by how you conduct yourself as well as the quality of the work) - even if you don't care about the work or the client this is the strategy to learn the most from the job
  • Leverage that successful work to 'level-up' and get better work next time (if you deliver a $2K result on a $500 job you will have an example of $2000 work and can use it to book $2K jobs, etc etc)

Opportunity looks a lot like hard work.

I've had a lot of growth in my career because I took on jobs that stretched my abilities.  I didn't get those jobs because I'm great at selling (I'm not) - I got them because they were awful jobs that the more experienced people didn't want.  I took jobs where everyone else would suck air into their mouths when they heard about them, I took a job where I was the fourth person to do it and the previous person quit after the first day.  I've gotten lots of experience because of this and learned a ton on basically every job.

By being humble, asking for input from others (when appropriate), and focusing on the work instead of yourself, you can build trust with people.  I've been on jobs where everything went sideways because that was just how the situation was going to go, and the people around me saw that I was making the best of the situation and didn't blame me, in fact they had a higher opinion of me for keeping calm and keeping focussed on the work.  People will re-hire those people that they like to work with because they have the right attitude, so that's the best long-term strategy.

21 minutes ago, kye said:

Same for me in my day job.  If I come across potential work and I think "wow, that seems like it might be beyond my skill level" I stop and think about the alternative, which is someone else doing it.  That usually 'inspires' enough confidence to jump in and do it :)

My advice if you're contemplating taking on jobs you're not sure if you're up for is this:

• Get as much experience as you can in your own time
  • When talking to potential clients, highlight your strengths and previous experience, but be honest and don't promise anything you can't be 100% sure you can deliver
  • If the client takes you on, work your ass off to make them as happy as you possibly can (both by how you conduct yourself as well as the quality of the work) - even if you don't care about the work or the client this is the strategy to learn the most from the job
  • Leverage that successful work to 'level-up' and get better work next time (if you deliver a $2K result on a $500 job you will have an example of $2000 work and can use it to book $2K jobs, etc etc)

Opportunity looks a lot like hard work.

I've had a lot of growth in my career because I took on jobs that stretched my abilities.  I didn't get those jobs because I'm great at selling (I'm not) - I got them because they were awful jobs that the more experienced people didn't want.  I took jobs where everyone else would suck air into their mouths when they heard about them, I took a job where I was the fourth person to do it and the previous person quit after the first day.  I've gotten lots of experience because of this and learned a ton on basically every job.

By being humble, asking for input from others (when appropriate), and focusing on the work instead of yourself, you can build trust with people.  I've been on jobs where everything went sideways because that was just how the situation was going to go, and the people around me saw that I was making the best of the situation and didn't blame me, in fact they had a higher opinion of me for keeping calm and keeping focussed on the work.  People will re-hire those people that they like to work with because they have the right attitude, so that's the best long-term strategy.

I appreciate the input. Its good to hear other people had the same struggle. Its keeping me up at night haha, but I think a little pain is necessary to get to a higher level. I just took a position as head of lighting for a web series, its unpaid so I am not too worried. That said regardless of pay I like to perform my best. I was very honest about my experience though.

I took the plunge last year and worked for a wedding video company, was super worried they wouldn't like my work but everything turned out fine and I learned a lot.