Panasonic GH5S 14.6 Stops of Dynamic Range

DBounce

On 5/2/2018 at 8:21 PM, Don Kotlos said:

Yeah the dynamic range numbers are of little value. He measured the absolute dynamic range and since you divide by something extremely small, it is very sensitive to measurement error as well. Something like the Xyla 21 would be more useful. GH5s should be ~13stops with a usable dynamic range even less than that. 

Thanks.

What I want to know is - real world - how does the dynamic range compare to a7 III and a6500 when shooting about ISO 1600 to 6400???

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
2 hours ago, Mark Romero 2 said:

Thanks.

What I want to know is - real world - how does the dynamic range compare to a7 III and a6500 when shooting about ISO 1600 to 6400???

Nobody has really measured it. My guess is that A7III should be better, but once you adjust the exposure for the same DoF the differences should be minimal. For example with FF 50mm at f/1.4 is too shallow for most of shots, but for m4/3 a 25mm at f/1.4 gives you a f/2.8 equivalent FF DoF. When I compare sensor sizes I try to adjust for the differences in DoF, so I would compare the 1600 ISO with m4/3 to the 6400 ISO of A7III. 

Here is a comparison that Philip Bloom made between GH5s and A7sII/A7rIII (which should be close to A7III?)

14 hours ago, Don Kotlos said:

Nobody has really measured it. My guess is that A7III should be better, but once you adjust the exposure for the same DoF the differences should be minimal. For example with FF 50mm at f/1.4 is too shallow for most of shots, but for m4/3 a 25mm at f/1.4 gives you a f/2.8 equivalent FF DoF. When I compare sensor sizes I try to adjust for the differences in DoF, so I would compare the 1600 ISO with m4/3 to the 6400 ISO of A7III. 

Here is a comparison that Philip Bloom made between GH5s and A7sII/A7rIII (which should be close to A7III?)

That GH5s has very nice colors

On ‎12‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 10:52 AM, Mark Romero 2 said:

Thanks.

Does not seem to be any tests yet for the GH5s DR but at least for RAW stills, the A7iii has about a stop more DR from the start to the finish which is a bit of a surprise for the A6500 at higher ISO where I would have expected it to drop away more.        Maybe the Gh5s would be similar to the A6500 at up to ISO 6400 (but that is a very uneducated guess).

https://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Compare/Side-by-side/Sony-A7-III-versus-Sony-A6500-versus-Sony-A7S___1236_1127_949

Photons to Photos has the difference as being a bit more.

http://www.photonstophotos.net/Charts/PDR.htm

4 hours ago, noone said:

Does not seem to be any tests yet for the GH5s DR but at least for RAW stills, the A7iii has about a stop more DR from the start to the finish which is a bit of a surprise for the A6500 at higher ISO where I would have expected it to drop away more.        Maybe the Gh5s would be similar to the A6500 at up to ISO 6400 (but that is a very uneducated guess).

https://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Compare/Side-by-side/Sony-A7-III-versus-Sony-A6500-versus-Sony-A7S___1236_1127_949

Photons to Photos has the difference as being a bit more.

http://www.photonstophotos.net/Charts/PDR.htm

Thanks. When you factor in the one-stop difference in DOF (between the a6500 and the a7 III) and the two stop difference in DOF (between the GH5s and the a7 III) I guess there isn't going to be a whole lot separating them once you adjust the ISO to obtain equal DOF (as @don kotlos pointed out).

Totally Off Topic: Just spent an incredibly frustrating hour at our local garden center trying to shoot some BROLL and couldn't see a thing on the back of the LCD of my a6500. Trying to use it on my gimbal and inverted. Ugghh... Definitely need to get an hdmi monitor.

Thing is do you often have to adjust for DOF?       I have recently sold off my M43 gear and no longer use APSC cameras often but I can not recall ever trying to match DOF with FF against the others.      I am mostly shooting stills and just dabbling in shooting live bands though.

I am sure there will be situations when it matters but I am equally sure there will be others were it doesn't (and therefore favours the larger sensor).

That said, I am also sure that it would be a rare thing to say that any of these cameras DIDN'T have enough DR.       Even at really high ISOs, where DR is limited, that is closer to what I actually see when the lighting is low so lesser DR is quite natural then.