What Type Of External Audio Recorder Are You Using ? (POLL)

BTM_Pix

What Type Of External Audio Recorder Are You Using?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. What Type Of External Audio Recorder Are You Using?

• Zoom H2n
    • Zoom H4n/Pro
    • Zoom H5
    • Zoom H6
    • Zoom F4/F8 (would require a more substantial hack so no promises)
    • Sound Devices MixPre-3/6
    • Roland R88
    • Other (please specify)

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
2 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

Simulating the Marantz RC600 remote would be in order then.

Did you use a regular 3 pole 3.5mm plug or a 4 pole as from what I can gather the RC600 uses a 4 pole ?

4 pole 3.5mm, as original one.

I keep a photo of my prototipe where pin 1 was inner pin and pin 4 (GND) was the outsider pin of the 3.5mm connector.

20180425_151131.jpg

20170902_144236.jpg

• Super Members
6 minutes ago, Grimor said:

4 pole 3.5mm, as original one.

I keep a photo of my prototipe where pin 1 was inner pin and pin 4 (GND) was the outsider pin of the 3.5mm connector.

Thanks for this.

Something caught my eye from an Amazon review of the remote regarding additional functionality which I suspect might give you a clue as to why you can get it to record and pause a recording but not do a full stop. If you add a potentiometer to your circuit you will probably be able to find that missing function ;)

5ae0821f97910_ScreenShot2018-04-25at15_23_05.thumb.jpg.303be70566ebf18f9d0121ba58e71b47.jpg

31 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

Thanks for this.

Something caught my eye from an Amazon review of the remote regarding additional functionality which I suspect might give you a clue as to why you can get it to record and pause a recording but not do a full stop. If you add a potentiometer to your circuit you will probably be able to find that missing function ;)

5ae0821f97910_ScreenShot2018-04-25at15_23_05.thumb.jpg.303be70566ebf18f9d0121ba58e71b47.jpg

I tried all kind of combination but only with one button.

It seen that RC600 has 3 buttons.

My led color sign was OK (green for standby, red for recording even peaks blink in orange) 

But i miss resistor and other 2 buttons.

My electronic skill level is: Beginner

61L6o1qDJUL._SL1500_.jpg

• Super Members
Just now, Grimor said:

@BTM_Pix Now the same button make different actions with same wiring just with diferent resistor values!!

You rock!

Many tries/error left tonight.

Hope someone own the original remote and can take a picture fron inside, things will be a lot of easier.

Excellent.

I don't suppose you have an arduino do you?

• Super Members
6 minutes ago, Grimor said:

3 of then 

Try something like this then to speed things up. Will step the voltage up every second. Change it if its too slow

// Zoom RC discovery using a PWM pin
int PWMpin = 10; // Change this if using different pin

void setup()
{
  Serial.begin(19200);
}

void loop()
{
   for (int i=0; i <= 255; i++){
      analogWrite(PWMpin, i);
      delay(1000); //Vary this for faster stepping
      Serial.println(i);
   }
}

Ok. I'll try to compile and test it tomorrow.

If i understand, i must join both grounds (arduino and marantz) together and then pin 1 of the marantz (trigger) to the arduino PWM pin 10, and it will test different voltage values every second for me. Is this right?

Thank you for your support and sorry to the comunity for this "offtopic"

• Super Members
2 minutes ago, Grimor said:

Ok. I'll try to compile and test it tomorrow.

If i understand, i must join both grounds (arduino and marantz) together and then pin 1 of the marantz (trigger) to the arduino PWM pin 10, and it will test different voltage values every second for me. Is this right?

Thank you for your support and sorry to the comunity for this "offtopic"

Yes, thats right.

Don't worry, its absolutely completely ON topic as finding the magic numbers that start and stop recording on the Marantz is exactly what I need as I don't have access to one ;)

With trepidation I admit to using a SD 633 ... new to me and I have struggled all day to sync TC in Resolve ... success after a number of hours.

I committed to the Canon 5d Mk IV ... color science and DPAF ... I know it is not your favorite platform ... have pre-ordered the BM new new thing as

a B cam.

Sound to me is perhaps a bit more important than video.

Played with the 633 and an AT 4053b ...

https://vimeo.com/266599632

Password: SD 633

Bob

• Super Members
10 hours ago, docmoore said:

With trepidation I admit to using a SD 633 ... new to me and I have struggled all day to sync TC in Resolve ... success after a number of hours.

I committed to the Canon 5d Mk IV ... color science and DPAF ... I know it is not your favorite platform ... have pre-ordered the BM new new thing as

a B cam.

I'd have no trepidation saying I was using such a fine piece of equipment !

It uses the same USB keyboard protocol as the MixPres so it would be able to be remotely started and stopped in sync with the BM camera.

11 hours ago, docmoore said:

a B cam.

Sound to me is perhaps a bit more important than video.

Played with the 633 and an AT 4053b ...

https://vimeo.com/266599632

Password: SD 633

Bob

Great! Do you have experience with other indoor mics?

I "lost" my Audix, and I am considering other options, to be honest, it seems that the AT takes a lot of space, it may be that the Audix is more directional, but I am not sure, as I can't compare anymore. Are you happy with it?

My impression is that mics are more important than recorders, 633 is an excellent choice, but maybe a F4 with a MKH50 would be an even better performer (and maybe that is why the 50 costs 1050 euros more than the AT here!), but a very good and capable recorder is a good base to start building your setup, and your sound in general.

I have used a Rode NTG-3 and AKG 414XL which had multiple patterns available but was really better for a studio.

Now have a pair of matched Rode M5’s which are tiny and sound great as singles.

I like the reviews of Claytun Judd...

Spent a fair amount of time on his channel.

@docmoore Thanks, he is alright, very simple and all, but just not very particular in his judgement, and he is doing a little bit of everything, so not highly specialized in sound.

He used to have the AT, now he uses a 8050 Sennheiser.

Real world (and work) circumstances a little bit different than those studio tests.

This series is interesting, Manchester! 

@BTM_Pix You have 9-10 specific recorders there, and OTHERS take the 44% of the poll! It seems that a lot of people are using Tascam's!

• Super Members
2 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

@BTM_Pix You have 9-10 specific recorders there, and OTHERS take the 44% of the poll! It seems that a lot of people are using Tascam's!

Yeah, at least I don't have to waste any time on Roland it would seem !

Most of the Tascam ones can be controlled by the RC10 remote so thats all covered now, the SoundDevices stuff is too and the Zoom just seems to be done through voltage change so that won't be too much of a hardship.

On the camera side its going to be LANC for Sony, Canon C series and BM, wifi for Panasonic, Bluetooth for new BM and probably some sort of simplistic shutter release type for Fuji, Nikon and Canon DSLRS.

I just need to make it a bit smaller than the current prototype that you see me working on here.

Old-IBM-computer.jpg.920e161e9eeda854a64e31a3851d8525.jpg