Any way to mute the left Chanel of the GH5 during playback? (But still record the left and right channel as normal)

IronFilm

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Super Members

Oh, the internal speakers...

[EDIT]

Erases link to 3.5mm stereo to 2 mono jacks cable and inline attenuator.

[EDIT]

Though come to think of it you could fake it by using that cable to come out of the headphone socket (which I presume mutes the internal speakers) and then attach the right split to a tiny speaker. 

30 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

Though come to think of it you could fake it by using that cable to come out of the headphone socket (which I presume mutes the internal speakers) and then attach the right split to a tiny speaker. 

I'm afraid this might be my only solution :-( :-/ 

Please tell us how the Tentacle is being used ... if you are syncing TC ... the the audio of the GH5 should be TC only ... and your external recorder will 

fill the gap.

On the Canon 5D Mk IV and a Nanolockit I manually adjust levels for the NL input ... then in post sync the TC for the audio.

Perhaps I do not understand what you wish to accomplish.

Bob

Forget the post above. 

Checking footage in camera you could probably use a set of earbuds ... just insert the right one ... yes TC audio sounds awful.

I wonder if the internal mic Is off when external mic is plugged in .... does the tentacle scratch mic record to right channel?

On 4/26/2018 at 12:13 PM, docmoore said:

Please tell us how the Tentacle is being used ... if you are syncing TC ... the the audio of the GH5 should be TC only ... and your external recorder will 

fill the gap.

Just to be clear for any one else reading: this is not for post, but for playback of people viewing the monitor on set. 

21 hours ago, docmoore said:

Checking footage in camera you could probably use a set of earbuds ... just insert the right one ... yes TC audio sounds awful.

Should have made it clearer: this needs to be quickly and easily usable for when more than one person is reviewing, earbuds are out!

(although yes, this is the approach we took with the GH5 on a feature film last year)

21 hours ago, docmoore said:

I wonder if the internal mic Is off when external mic is plugged in .... does the tentacle scratch mic record to right channel?

Bingo, this is exactly what happens. 

10 hours ago, kye said:

Does the GH5 have physically separated speakers? 

Worth checking out if it is possible. 

10 hours ago, kye said:

If so, would sticky tape provide enough attenuation?

However I'm doubtful, as it is pretty loud and obnoxious! 

3 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Worth checking out if it is possible. 

However I'm doubtful, as it is pretty loud and obnoxious! 

I've noticed that the speaker on my iPhone can be muted almost completely if you can get a complete seal over the speaker, so maybe.  If it has separated speakers then maybe try a few layers of gaffer tape and see if it's enough.  As you say, it may not be!