Keep 1DX II or get A7III for Video/Photos?

Snowbro

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
2 minutes ago, Don Kotlos said:

Dynamic range should be about the same. 

The S35 mode in A7rIII offers better resolution (less aliasing/moire) & ~25% faster rolling shutter. 

So I can throw my Sony 10-18 crop sensor lens on to the a7R III and be good to go???

And would that give me any real world benefit over my a6500 with 10-18???

11 minutes ago, Mark Romero 2 said:

So I can throw my Sony 10-18 crop sensor lens on to the a7R III and be good to go???

And would that give me any real world benefit over my a6500 with 10-18???

Yes, and with A7rIII you would have a vastly better rolling shutter performance compared to the A6500. 

Just now, Don Kotlos said:

Yes, and with A7rIII you would have a vastly better rolling shutter performance compared to the A6500. 

Thank you.

I apologize for taking this thread off topic, but I gotta ask...

Is the LCD of a7R III better than that of the a6500?

NO dimming in 4K?

Better colors?

Better 1080p?

Thanks in advance.

11 hours ago, Gregormannschaft said:

Terrific shots in there. How do you find EyeEm? I have a few friends who work there and even their smartphone pics seem to sell.

@Gregormannschaft - Thanks! Funny you say that, I've sold more iPhone photos than I think SLR photos. But SLR photos were sold for higher prices. I basically started using them last year or so, and after I sold a few more images, I thought why not. However, their commission pricing (especially with their premium market that works with Getty's) is not that great.  My best licensing has come from the olden days, when I used, PhotographersDirect (which closes pretty much).So for that reason, I've started posting to Alamy as well. But I've just started (initially you have to go through this QC process so it's slow to upload and sell) and have no volume in there. Once I'm able to upload 500-600 or more...I probably can see if it's useful or not. 

If you have a big social media following it's much better to use that to license your photos, from what I've been told. 

13 hours ago, salim said:

On fred miranda, I learned about Greentoe and some people told me they got their A7Riii for about $3-400 below MSRP.

Yep thats how I got an "open box" one for $2750 that had 3 shutter actuations. Like in your excellent examples the extra resolution is very useful for landscapes or even cropping and to me worth the extra money compared to the deals you can get right now on the A7rIII. But it is also true that 24MP should be plenty enough for most and the extra resolution can bog down the computer. I wish Sony would implement some version of downsampled RAWs. 

4 minutes ago, Don Kotlos said:

Yep thats how I got an "open box" one for $2750 that had 3 shutter actuations.

@Don Kotlos - so I'm still evaluating the Greentoe path. Did the seller tell you it was an open-box unit? What was your tactic? Did you put your price at $2700 or more? How long before your request and actually getting an offer? Thanks!

5 hours ago, Mark Romero 2 said:

Thank you.

I apologize for taking this thread off topic, but I gotta ask...

Is the LCD of a7R III better than that of the a6500?

NO dimming in 4K?

Better colors?

Better 1080p?

Thanks in advance.

If you want to look at the a7riii as a S35 only video camera it has SEVERAL advantages over a6500

better ibis

2 hrs battery life

no screen dimming

best rolling shutter performance on any mirrorless cam

better color science with HLG

better 120fps 1080p

My MENU function (create your own menu)

better customizability with the buttons. 

more weatherproof

3 hours ago, DaveAltizer said:

If you want to look at the a7riii as a S35 only video camera it has SEVERAL advantages over a6500

better ibis

2 hrs battery life

no screen dimming

best rolling shutter performance on any mirrorless cam

better color science with HLG

better 120fps 1080p

My MENU function (create your own menu)

better customizability with the buttons. 

more weatherproof

Thanks so much!!! You are awesome, Dave!!!

Majority of my work is stills and I know it has some advantages in terms of stills as well (mainly, for my purpose, the 1/250th flash sync speed and the EVF in the middle of the body, since I am left eye dominant). Also, for my work, using a crop-sensor lens and having ONLY 18MP stills instead of the 24MP of the a6500 is actually a good thing for me.

Thanks again.

Update:

You guys are awesome! I got busy with finals and didn't expect this many people to provide their input.

I was finally able to finish a video from a recent trip to San Francisco. I had shot this entire thing in 4K 24p & 4K 60p. The video did take me a very long time to finish. I realized how amazing the 4K footage from the camera is and how much harm I will be exposing the camera to (I just got a contract to shoot video/photos for a company that rents snowmobiles, dirt bikes & side by sides). I personally feel I can do better work on this camera at the moment, eventually I will look at an A7SIII or a cinema camera if I get more jobs. 

I made a quick guide to try to help give back to any users that have experienced banding with the MJPEG codec in premiere pro. It can be quite frustrating on windows, as converting to ProRes isn't usually an option. It can also help IQ a bit for people currently converting to ProRes in Final Cut X and Davinci Resolve 15 in my findings. 

Here is the video I shot on Alcatraz in an unplanned crazy environment. I used a custom faithful profile and created a LUT in Lightroom, then micro adjusted in Premiere. I have only ever made a few videos, so I have much to learn. Thanks for the help! I had discovered many things here, before making my first post. 

Looks great @Snowbro 

I think in most cases it is a wise decision to stay with what someone already has and wait for something better to arrive ;) 

Also since the build quality between the 1dxii and the a7* is not even close, in harsh conditions makes sense to have the most durable equipment. Add the fact that you use 4K 60p... 

4 hours ago, Snowbro said:

Update:

You guys are awesome! I got busy with finals and didn't expect this many people to provide their input.

I was finally able to finish a video from a recent trip to San Francisco. I had shot this entire thing in 4K 24p & 4K 60p. The video did take me a very long time to finish. I realized how amazing the 4K footage from the camera is and how much harm I will be exposing the camera to (I just got a contract to shoot video/photos for a company that rents snowmobiles, dirt bikes & side by sides). I personally feel I can do better work on this camera at the moment, eventually I will look at an A7SIII or a cinema camera if I get more jobs. 

I made a quick guide to try to help give back to any users that have experienced banding with the MJPEG codec in premiere pro. It can be quite frustrating on windows, as converting to ProRes isn't usually an option. It can also help IQ a bit for people currently converting to ProRes in Final Cut X and Davinci Resolve 15 in my findings. 

Here is the video I shot on Alcatraz in an unplanned crazy environment. I used a custom faithful profile and created a LUT in Lightroom, then micro adjusted in Premiere. I have only ever made a few videos, so I have much to learn. Thanks for the help! I had discovered many things here, before making my first post. 

I really feel that for so many reasons moving to other cameras is a downgrade from the Canon 1DXMK2. The Canon color science really hits the spot. I shot video of Alcatraz also while in SF using the 1DXMK2, and was blown away by how good it looked. You never worry about weather, or harsh conditions with the Canon. It's rock solid. While I have been shooting more with the GH5S or late, and for CGing there is an advantage, the straight out of camera image looks so good that CGing is really not necessary most of the time. For stills it has no equal, if quick capture and magic are what you are after. It is a superb imaging tool. Professional to a fault.

19 hours ago, DBounce said:

I really feel that for so many reasons moving to other cameras is a downgrade from the Canon 1DXMK2. The Canon color science really hits the spot. I shot video of Alcatraz also while in SF using the 1DXMK2, and was blown away by how good it looked. 

The only thing that the 1dx lacks... Is a log profile so we could protect highlights a bit. 

2 hours ago, hmcindie said:

The only thing that the 1dx lacks... Is a log profile so we could protect highlights a bit. 

Yes, the lack of log was something everyone complained about. But unlike Panasonic, once Canon makes up it’s mind  to pull a “Canon”, nothing can sway them.... not even overwhelming protest from their consumers.