Canon XC-M ???

Matt James Smith ?

1 hour ago, Andrew Reid said:

The Fujinon E-mount lenses are also very long, I'd say it would be a product along those lines.

10mm-ish corresponds to a Micro Four Thirds sensor cropped to 16:9

In 4:3 they are 17x13mm

I remember when the XC10 was launched Canon was talking about it as "the successor to the camcorder." Perhaps they've decided to invest in the format as a fully-fledged professional ENG alternative/competitor?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
4 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

This is a F1.85 to F4 and it zooms to 385MM?!

That is equivalent to 24-770mm in full frame terms.

Maybe they are speeding up the aperture with the Speed Booster optic at the back?

The lens have major distortion and vignetting as its design compromises - and rely on in-camera software corrections of these optical flaws.

I read an article about a month or so ago that stated Canon was looking to be creative with lens options in upcoming mirrorless cameras. So I think this is probably one of their “creative” options. I believe Canon files dozens to hundreds of patents a year, so who knows if this is for future tech or for a specific product in production. I think we may be seeing a culmination of various possibilities for a couple different mirrorless camera models within this one patent. 

2 hours ago, mercer said:

I read an article about a month or so ago that stated Canon was looking to be creative with lens options in upcoming mirrorless cameras. So I think this is probably one of their “creative” options. I believe Canon files dozens to hundreds of patents a year, so who knows if this is for future tech or for a specific product in production. I think we may be seeing a culmination of various possibilities for a couple different mirrorless camera models within this one patent. 

Well the GH5s sensor, in a Canon camera, with their Color Science, and DPAF, would not be a bad thing!

29 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

Well the GH5s sensor, in a Canon camera, with their Color Science, and DPAF, would not be a bad thing!

Canon won't do that - they develop and manufacture their own sensors. It's part of the reason why they are so profitable. (And part of the reason why their camera specs are behind everyone who uses Sony sensors.)

3 minutes ago, cantsin said:

Canon won't do that - they develop and manufacture their own sensors. It's part of the reason why they are so profitable. (And part of the reason why their camera specs are behind everyone who uses Sony sensors.)

The sensor is likely to be similar to the GH5S though. Like the XC10, the camera may shoot stills but will be highly video oriented, not a true hybrid like the GH5 - therefore it won't be a high megapixel sensor. If it's 12mp like the XC10, but on a M43 sensor, then it'll be very similar. The image out of the XC10 in good light is fantastic so an improvement on that is to be welcomed.

1 hour ago, cantsin said:

Canon has used a Lot of Sony sensors in their Point n Shoots. I think They Need to use the new Sony m4/3 sensor. It would be a killer combo. The XC15 body would be perfect using it. ProRes Raw in it, constant aperture lens in it. Hell it would put a dent in the 4k BMPCC and the GH5s. Heck I might even buy it! I know @mercer would.

19 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

My take on it -

https://www.eoshd.com/2018/04/canons-rival-to-the-gh5-leaks/

Nope. Patent refers to "Imaging apparatus" as well - not just the mounting mechanism. It's not the XC10 body anyway. It has multiple ergonomic changes. And I don't think patents work quite like that - the camera body is described in detail, and the functionality of the mount is heavily related to the spec of the body and sensor size, in this case a small sensor.

It all relates to the mounting mechanism however. The rest is just boilerplate and examples of how the mounting mechanism could be applied. Don't go by the title or abstract, those are usually very misleading when it comes to patents. It is normal practice to throw everything including the kitchen sink into the boilerplate to cover any conceivable application of what is being claimed. The only thing that counts is what is actually in the claims.

Part of getting a patent involves reducing something to practice, and for that you need examples where whatever you are claiming is used, so to the untrained eye it might seem that the patent is covering a whole lot of things when it actually is not. It does not mean that any of it outside of the mounting mechanism would actually be used in a real product, or that a real product would look anything like the example the provided in the specification.

4 hours ago, mercer said:

Awarded over 3,000 patents in the US last year, placing them in the top 5 for the 32nd consecutive year, and the #1 Japanese company for the last 12 years. And that's with other conglomerates like Sony and Toyota to compete with, amazing. Canon's patent filers are busy...

https://www.canon.co.uk/press-centre/press-releases/2018/01/patents-awarded-in-2017/

4 hours ago, mercer said:

Most patents filed are defensive in nature. The point being to claim all sorts of things surrounding your actual product so as to create an IP minefield that would inhibit people who might want to compete with you. Almost all patents issued are never used for in any product specifically.

5 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

Canon has used a Lot of Sony sensors in their Point n Shoots. I think They Need to use the new Sony m4/3 sensor. It would be a killer combo. The XC15 body would be perfect using it. ProRes Raw in it, constant aperture lens in it. Hell it would put a dent in the 4k BMPCC and the GH5s. Heck I might even buy it! I know @mercer would.

ohhhh...that would be a very nice camera....but DPAF must be included....and the right price :)

Wasn't there a patent earlier this year for a 1.5" sensor (slightly bigger than m43)?

If the rumors are true and Canon is actually committing to mirrorless later this year, then using the EF-M mount with an optional EFEF-S-to-EF-M speedbooster (made by Canon) would be a great move, made usable across multiple Canon cameras (1.5", APS-C, FF).

I've learned the hard way to never discount Canon's ability to screw over potential customers, though. Plus no holding off on purchases to see what Canon will come out with. They've thrown away all trust at this point. And their patents have a nasty habit of never becoming real products, so nobody should be getting excited at this point.