Have you ever watched a 4k bluray?

sam

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Yeah, I've watched a loooot between Blurays and Remuxes.

Its a big difference between native (not upscaled) 4K and 1080p. But definitely the best feature it's HDR. I have a high end Sony 4K HDR TV and some material looks stunning... Amazing! It's hard to go back to SDR after a few hours of HDR.

At least for me HDR it's a big deal, maybe the most impressive technology implementation after the 1080p standard. And by far more important than 4K.

7 hours ago, sam said:

Thanks for the replies, hope they keep coming.  

Very different films but if you had to pick a winner based only on image quality (whatever that means to you), which of the 3 would it be? 

Dunkirk without a question, it's the only UHD Bluray to date to have a FULL 4K+ workflow, from acquisition to post/vfx to encoding.

4 minutes ago, Luke Mason said:

Dunkirk without a question, it's the only UHD Bluray to date to have a FULL 4K+ workflow, from acquisition to post/vfx to encoding.

If they’d used 1080 proxies during editing, would that make any difference?

1 hour ago, Luke Mason said:

Where did you find this info?  Haven't there been a few 4k rescans of past films? 

Its true. Can't wait. It was even on Amazon for a preorder but they pulled it, so not sure when, but its coming. Making a new print from the negative even.  What I haven't heard is if it will be projected like the hateful eight, and/or if it will get an 8k scan and d-cinema like Dunkirk.   

On ‎2018‎-‎04‎-‎19 at 1:02 PM, sam said:

Regardless of aquisition format and it's resolution, have you ever done an a/b test? (Bluray vs 4k bluray) of the same content? 

The acquisition format would absolutely affect the results of an A/B test. If something was shot at HD or FHD resolution to start with, putting it out as a 4K version would not really change the overall appearance. It would still be limited by the original resolution.

On 4/19/2018 at 3:02 PM, sam said:

there generally is not any advantage when viewing movies older than a few years as a result (and even some newer ones

The question was asked in regards to the statement above, and I was wondering if you formed the opinion that there is no benefit, through testing or otherwise?  

On 4/19/2018 at 10:15 PM, sam said:

Thanks for the replies, hope they keep coming.  

Very different films but if you had to pick a winner based only on image quality (whatever that means to you), which of the 3 would it be? 

Toss up, between Blade Runner and Shape,  but I would go with Shape,  it is just beautiful. 

So, re-watched portions of the uhd hdr bluray release of  E.T. , Terminator 2, La la Land and Fantastic Beasts and where to find them. I also watched portions of  the standard bluray version of each as well.  I did this in an a/b fashion, watching both moving segments and also identical individual frames. For the standard bluray, I let the t.v. handle the upscaling and bypassed the reciever first, then switched to letting the reciever handle the upscale instead. 

In a blind test there is no way I would be able to distinguish between either upscaled bluray, or the uhd disc in terms of observable detail on the film acquired clips.  The digitally acquired Fantastic Beasts showed a slight difference in detail between the upscalers and the uhd version.  Because I could discern a difference, I tried the offical studio sanctioned youtube 4k trailer of Fantastic Beasts, streamed in 4k. It was easily Inferior to the disc versions. (plenty of bandwith for streaming, so no degradation from insuffient speed)

The difference hdr made was quite observable, however, for all four films. In each case, the hdr grade was done in a pleasing way. Subtle. Nothing drastic or shocking.  It just felt more three dimensional. Especially with E.T. and La la land.  Anyways, would love more opinions, as the K count climbs ever higher.  

(65"lg oled, with Xbox1s feeding it a 10bit signal, sitting slightly less than 6' from the screen)