Have you ever watched a 4k bluray?

sam

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, Lux Shots said:

Yes, and on an HDR TV, which makes a big difference.

Do you notice a difference (or even care) between 4k streaming (I assume you've done this) and 4k bluray? Also,If so,have you compared 4k YouTube streaming quality to a service like Netflix?

Well, it's hard to say. Netflix does have 4K HDR content, and it looks fantastic depending on the show. This is mostly due to the differences in the HDR grade from one show to another. Also, Netflix needs a minimum of 30Mbps to stream HDR, and if you can't maintain that then you get a pixelated mess.

I believe Netflix and YouTube both are fairly good in 4K, but I give the win to YouTube because they even support 8K.

I think the biggest benefit to investing in HDR 4K Blu-Ray is Netflix and Amazon routinely switch content. So you may want to see something you like and they up and removed it because it wasn't popular. Another thing I like about the disk is the extra content that you can't get from anywhere else, even though most times its not HDR. 

32 minutes ago, jonpais said:

Surprised Oppo got out of the Blu ray player business. 

Did they? My stepdad's got one & they are very tasty.

Streaming isn't the same as playing a disk, not by a long shot and HD TV broadcasts aren't really HD.

As far as 4K Blurays are concerned - some films look great & others meh (these are mostly to do with film transfers). For instance, I much prefer to watch the DVD version of Chungking Express than the BluRay, I've yet to watch it in 4K.

25 minutes ago, Bioskop.Inc said:

Did they? My stepdad's got one & they are very tasty.

Streaming isn't the same as playing a disk, not by a long shot and HD TV broadcasts aren't really HD.

As far as 4K Blurays are concerned - some films look great & others meh (these are mostly to do with film transfers). For instance, I much prefer to watch the DVD version of Chungking Express than the BluRay, I've yet to watch it in 4K.

Transfer quality plays a role, and also because a lot of film is shot at lower resolution to start with, so does not benefit much from 4K BluRay outside of things like HDR. As a rule of thumb there generally is not any advantage when viewing movies older than a few years as a result (and even some newer ones are basically a con due to the limitations of the medium used to do the initial recording). If it is a modern movie (meaning shot in the last two years or so), chances are you will have a better image from the 4K BluRay option, but not always since some directors have regressive attitudes towards certain aspects of quality. They try to mimic the technology of a bygone age rather than what is current. Anything shot like that is probably not going to be worth having on a 4K BluRay, but they are still released that way as a marketing tool essentially to sucker viewers in to pay more. Unfortunately when acquiring discs they don't have "Bogus 4K" stamped on them, so you only find out when you actually view it, it is hit and miss in that respect.

One genre that does not require 4K is animation. Regular HD BluRay is just fine for that.

44 minutes ago, Mokara said:

As a rule of thumb there generally is not any advantage when viewing movies older than a few years as a result (and even some newer ones are basically a con due to the limitations of the medium used to do the initial recording).

Regardless of aquisition format and it's resolution, have you ever done an a/b test? (Bluray vs 4k bluray) of the same content? 

Thanks for the replies, hope they keep coming.  

37 minutes ago, Spgreen65 said:

Yes, Dunkirk, Blade Runner 2049 and Shape of Water. 

Very different films but if you had to pick a winner based only on image quality (whatever that means to you), which of the 3 would it be?