Best used setup for filming ff dslr on a really tight budget

deatrier

I agree with KnightsFan, I’d go with a 50mm, either a 1.8 or a 1.4 and decide from there if you prefer a wider or longer lens. When I used to shoot on crop sensor cameras, I liked to be between 35 and 50mm after the crop, so I never owned too many 50mm lenses. Now that I have a FF camera, I am discovering and testing a bunch of lenses, I never would have bought before. And it’s great because 50mm lenses are cheap.

The EF Mount is so adaptable that there are a bunch of vintage lenses that could work. Nikkors are great because they are known for their cinematic look at a good price point. But if you are only looking for a few manual primes, there are also Contax Zeiss or Olympus OM or Yashica ML or Pentax that also have some great choices. And since the advent of the cropped sensor, there are so many cheap 50mm lenses on the used market to experiment with. 

Now I have purchased 99% of my lenses from eBay. As long as you buy from a seller with a good feedback rating and a detailed post, you should be fine 90% of the time.

Just don’t do what I did when I started and buy based on price, you’ll end up with a lot of junk that is hard to resell and collects dust. So know what you’re looking for in focal length and lens speed...

I shoot run and gun, horror and thriller short films. So I need fast lenses for lowlight. I try not to get any prime lens slower than an f/2. But I also rarely change lenses, so a fast 50mm lens (which are common) is often all I’ll use on a day’s shoot. Your mileage may vary. 

• 2 weeks later...
EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Hi!
An update.

Now I ordered lots of stuff (and waiting for it to arrive)

This is what I got (incl freightcosts):

5DII with battery grip - 660€

- not the cheapest one but seemed to be well treated and in good condition, got it down from 800€, 17 000 shutter count

Three Nikkor ais lenses (and a Nikon f301) 24mm f/2.8, 55mm micro f/2.0, 85mm f/2.8  - 310€

One ritzgear 52mm ND-filter 36€

One Komputerbay 128GB 1066x cf-card  - 103€

three lens adapters (no brand china) ~25€

One SanDisk ImageMate Pro USB 3.0 Multi-Card Reader SDDR-489 - 27€

Total about 1161€

Figured to get an external hard drive aswell, but I think I will start off with the storage I got at the moment. The 5DII got a little bit more expensive than I had thought to pay but otherwise I'm quite pleased with what Ive got within this budget. fingers crossed everything will work alright. 

Hope all is well with you people
/ Erik

9 hours ago, deatrier said:

Hi!
An update.

Now I ordered lots of stuff (and waiting for it to arrive)

This is what I got (incl freightcosts):

5DII with battery grip - 660€

- not the cheapest one but seemed to be well treated and in good condition, got it down from 800€, 17 000 shutter count

Three Nikkor ais lenses (and a Nikon f301) 24mm f/2.8, 55mm micro f/2.0, 85mm f/2.8  - 310€

One ritzgear 52mm ND-filter 36€

One Komputerbay 128GB 1066x cf-card  - 103€

three lens adapters (no brand china) ~25€

One SanDisk ImageMate Pro USB 3.0 Multi-Card Reader SDDR-489 - 27€

Total about 1161€

Figured to get an external hard drive aswell, but I think I will start off with the storage I got at the moment. The 5DII got a little bit more expensive than I had thought to pay but otherwise I'm quite pleased with what Ive got within this budget. fingers crossed everything will work alright. 

Hope all is well with you people
/ Erik

Would recommend a view finder for the back. I really dig the Canon 35mm F2 IS if you need to shoot handheld as well. 

These guys did a lot of really really nice work with the 5D2.