Best used setup for filming ff dslr on a really tight budget

deatrier

Hi!

I'm thinking to get myself a setup for filming on a dslr, and my budget is really tight. After some googling I'm leaning towards buying a used Canon 5d mk2 (300-600€), a standard digital zoom lens(200-400€), and a couple or so old manual lenses (with 10€ lens adaptors if needed). And I will have access to a zoom h4 for audio.

If I had the money I would rather buy the 5d mk3 or something newer. Ive settled for full frame and dslr even though I realize I might get better quality video from a mirrorless camera within the same budget, I just like the feel of it beeing slightly more analog, etc. Other cameras Ive looked at is the nikon d600 (600€), the canon 6d (750€), the 5d mk3 (1300€), the d750...

The Nikons kind of fall out because of no Magic Lantern, and I guess it would be more worth it to buy the 5d2 cheap and then I could get a better dslr later on sometime. But if I could get a more solid setup with a 600-1000€-camera I might opt for that, and get more fancy glass later on. My total budget at this time is about 1100€

What do you think? does it seem reasonable? Or what would you rather do? If you are to get a used dslr within this price range for filming, which would you get? (considering not running into any heaps of money in the overseeable future)

thanks for any input
/ Erik, Sweden

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

What kinds of projects will you be doing with it: Narrative or documentary? Studio or run'n'gun? Will you be filming in low light? Do you plan to do a lot of color grading? Green screen or VFX? Do you also want to take photos?

If you're set on ff, I don't really know of any options that would be better in the price range you've set. You can make great stuff on a 5d2--or any other camera from the past ~6 years. If it were me, though, I'd get a used APS-C camera, especially if you already plan to upgrade in a year or two. You could get a cheaper Canon for a few hundred dollars, or, if you can find a good deal, get an NX1. It's a fantastic all-rounder. I got mine used a year ago for $850 (700€) with lens and accessories included.

If you plan on using Magic Lantern for raw video, be aware that it will be a mild PITA. Totally worth it, but not easy.

On 4/19/2018 at 5:05 AM, deatrier said:

And I will have access to a zoom h4 for audio.

Do you have an external microphone or any other audio gear? I'm not a fan of the H4 myself.

Why have you settled for dslr full frame given that you accept that you might get “better quality” elsewhere?

I’m certainly not trying to persuade you to change your mind - full frame certainly is a valid option - but before you commit I would suggest that you know why you’ve dismissed the BM Pocket 1 (for example - there are plenty of other options. I think older Panasonic’s might work for you too although I have no experience of them). Of course you don’t need to convince me or anyone one else here of your decision but challenge yourself! 

Once you’ve considered the alternatives and know why you’ve ruled them out then you’ll have the optimum solution for you.

Enjoy whatever you end up with!

A common mix-up for many beginnners is that "full frame" equals the frame size of 35mm cine film. That is not the case. "35mm full frame" refers to the photography standard where frames on the film strip are horizontally, not vertically aligned und thus bigger.  

35mm cine film is the equivalent of APS-C. So if you just want 35mm film look, you can settle as well with a cheap second hand APS-C DSLR or mirrorless (such as the Canon 550D/t2i or the Sony NEX-5N).

A used 5Dmkii/iii is a very good choice, since you can enjoy photography as well and with ML they can give some really excellent results.

But as a FF user I can tell you that sensor size is not important for video. That super shallow DoF is nice, but in my opinion overused and pain to actually work with if want things in focus :) . Moreover there are plenty of fast lenses for smaller format cameras that can give a shallow enough DoF. DSLR APS-C models from canon can give you similar results at an even smaller price point. If RAW is your thing then the pocket v1, or preferably the v2 with 4K if you can wait, are a great choice as well. 

If I were you, I would get something dirt cheap to play around until the pocket v2 is available ... 

The thing is that most FF DSLRs to date ARE FF for photos but not for video so if getting it for video it is a bit of a waste and your lenses will not give the same angle of view as they do for stills.        Some FF mirrorless cameras are closer to being "FF" for video.

A used Sony a6300 + a chinese speedbooster is a cheaper FF option and it even has 4k.

5d3 ML raw is nice of course, but the regular 5d3 picture kinda sucks, if you compare it to newer cameras. If you are 100% sure, that you're going to shoot only raw, then might consider the 5d2 or 3, but otherwise I think there are better options, because the raw workflow takes a lot of time.

The 5DII is a fun camera, but, as said, FF ain't no big thing.  A GH2 with a cheap Chinese speed booster and 3 primes could be acquired for much less than $1100.

But, don't want to dissuade you.  You can also get a 5dII and 3 cheap primes (say, nikkor or pentax) for around $1100 too.  I had a 5DII for a loooong time.  It's a nice camera all around.

FWIW, personally, I don't like working with ML and RAW, but others like doing the intense tweaking and workflow.

No dslrs have useable video af from that generation.  If you don't need af and raw, Nikon d750 and d5200(apsc) are decent.  Nikon flat profile is nice.  I think those are better options unless you are using magic lantern for raw.  If not it doesn't really give you anything unless you need waveform.

Codecs and low detail really suck now though.

Good luck!

Don't bother with so called "full frame", ESPECIALLY if you're on a tight budget!

Go with something better instead like the very affordable secondhand Panasonic G7

I don't at all understand your desire for DSLRs and FF, but if you must must go down that path then Nikon D750 is the best bang for your buck (if ML raw feels impracticable, which if you're shooting any kind of volume it is). 

13 hours ago, cantsin said:

A common mix-up for many beginnners is that "full frame" equals the frame size of 35mm cine film. That is not the case. "35mm full frame" refers to the photography standard where frames on the film strip are horizontally, not vertically aligned und thus bigger.  

35mm cine film is the equivalent of APS-C. So if you just want 35mm film look, you can settle as well with a cheap second hand APS-C DSLR or mirrorless (such as the Canon 550D/t2i or the Sony NEX-5N).

Or just use a MFT system camera with a focal reducer, or one of the MAR MFT sensors (such as GH5S or GH2) which have pretty close ish nearing to APS-C anyway. 

Ugh... why do all of the posts from people asking for opinions on specific cameras turn into discussions why the OP should buy an entirely different camera instead? I get why someone might say, have you thought about a D750 or a7s but to say just get a small sensor mirrorless and a speedbooster... sorry but that is not the same thing as a FF camera. And it’s nowhere near the same thing as shooting FF Raw on a Canon 5D.

6 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Don't bother with so called "full frame", ESPECIALLY if you're on a tight budget!

Go with something better instead like the very affordable secondhand Panasonic G7

I don't at all understand your desire for DSLRs and FF, but if you must must go down that path then Nikon D750 is the best bang for your buck (if ML raw feels impracticable, which if you're shooting any kind of volume it is). 

A used 5DII is a great buy almost half the price of a D750. I can see why the OP wants to buy a 5DII. It's a great camera & feels just right in your hands. You get all the FF shallow DoF & bokeh loveliness plus the superlative Canon cloud science & look. You have access to RAW with ML if that's important & it's a superb stills camera.

4 hours ago, mercer said:

Ugh... why do all of the posts from people asking for opinions on specific cameras turn into discussions why the OP should buy an entirely different camera instead? I get why someone might say, have you thought about a D750 or a7s but to say just get a small sensor mirrorless and a speedbooster... sorry but that is not the same thing as a FF camera. And it’s nowhere near the same thing as shooting FF Raw on a Canon 5D.

Because his budget isn't realistic for having anything workable? What's the point of a hacked 5d if he won't be able to afford any decent lenses, storage or a monitor to see what he is doing? He would be much better served by something like a g7 with a speedbooster. Nobody was being condescending or rude, there is no problem.

1 hour ago, Logan said:

Because his budget isn't realistic for having anything workable? What's the point of a hacked 5d if he won't be able to afford any decent lenses, storage or a monitor to see what he is doing? He would be much better served by something like a g7 with a speedbooster. Nobody was being condescending or rude, there is no problem.

I don’t see how his budget isn’t realistic? He laid it out pretty specifically. A used 5D2, and a few lenses for 1100 euros... that sounds doable. I doubt he really needs a monitor when he stated he’s looking to get into DSLR video.

Hell, this guy shoots ML Raw with a 5D2 and some old non ai Nikkor lenses.

You’re right nobody was being rude, but these posts come up often and rarely do people actually listen to the OP’s requests.

On 2018-04-19 at 11:05 AM, deatrier said:

What do you think? does it seem reasonable?

Yes. Do it, try it out. If you don't like it, you can resell it without losing any money. You might realize that Canon full frame is THE thing for you, and you might want to pick up the Mark III later on. OR perhaps you find out you don't like it at all, at least you tried it out.

Im actually thinking of getting one myself.

2 hours ago, mercer said:

A used 5D2, and a few lenses for 1100 euros... that sounds doable.

More than do-able.  Recommended if the FF route is absolutely the way you want to go.  FF isn't as big of a deal to me anymore, but I do understand why it's nice to have.  

A used 5dII and 3 primes is more than enough.  I had this set-up for years and made tons of stuff.  If you can't make it work with that, do something else, like kiosk sales for cell phone covers at your local mall.

17 hours ago, mercer said:

Because sometime people are completely oblivious to other options, or they are aware of them but not have fully thought through their respective pros/cons.

13 hours ago, Logan said:

The budget is perfectly reasonable. An adapter & decent manual lenses are cheap. I shot video on the 5D2 & 5D3 for years & never used a monitor.

The 5D2 was groundbreaking & still produces lovely images. OK it's not razor sharp 4K but that is part of the beauty of the image. The colours are great especially flesh tones. I was blown away when I first saw these clips posted by SmugMug founder Don MacAskill in November 2008 & immediately bought a 5D2 & sold my Canon XH A1 HDV camcorders These videos still look amazing

https://cmac.smugmug.com/Photography/Paris-and-San-Franciso-videos/i-NmGTgrh