Canon 5d ii vs 5d mark iii

Color Philospher

So I rented a 5d m3 back a month ago to create color correction luts for my sony and the outdoors white balance test on the canon setup was inaccurate despite grey card (probably because of stupid clouds moving). I'm probably going to rent it again, but I've noticed with each new generation of canon, that the colors get worse with the reds going more magenta and the wb being colder. I've tried to scour the internet for color comparisons of both cameras, but it seems where one video the canon 5d m2 is greener/less red than the 5d m3, in another (or even in the same video later) its the opposite. 

The the skin tones on mark 3 seem more red than the mark ii but that's from inconsistent video comparisons. 

So if anyone has owned both, if you could share which one had better skin tones,wb, and color science? I have a feeling the 5d m2 is better but when I was looking at the only color chart comparison I could find (pictures not video) it seemed that the 5d m2 had way too much saturation in tungsten lighting (don't know how accurate it was as both pictures had auto white balance and preset examples but not 18% grey). Many people can't tell a difference but I can when looking at comparison videos of different generations. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
6 hours ago, Color Philospher said:

So I rented a 5d m3 back a month ago to create color correction luts for my sony and the outdoors white balance test on the canon setup was inaccurate despite grey card (probably because of stupid clouds moving). I'm probably going to rent it again, but I've noticed with each new generation of canon, that the colors get worse with the reds going more magenta and the wb being colder. I've tried to scour the internet for color comparisons of both cameras, but it seems where one video the canon 5d m2 is greener/less red than the 5d m3, in another (or even in the same video later) its the opposite. 

The the skin tones on mark 3 seem more red than the mark ii but that's from inconsistent video comparisons. 

So if anyone has owned both, if you could share which one had better skin tones,wb, and color science? I have a feeling the 5d m2 is better but when I was looking at the only color chart comparison I could find (pictures not video) it seemed that the 5d m2 had way too much saturation in tungsten lighting (don't know how accurate it was as both pictures had auto white balance and preset examples but not 18% grey). Many people can't tell a difference but I can when looking at comparison videos of different generations. 

Speaking of the 5D2. This company Lucid did a lot of really nice work with that camera. It is crazy what that camera can do with such small files. I know the DP got into using filters to raise the black level to eliminate noise.

I think the 5D2 was sharper, but also had problems aliasing and moire. I don't know much about the color either, but I still think the images are so beautiful. 

Yeah man..  The Mark II seemed superior to me back when the Mark 3 was coming around in terms of color and overall image.  The softness from the AA filter on the 3 was bad.  Now ML RAW on the other hand is amazing.  

The 1DX2 has been on my radar since I saw this video:

Great color.  Not sure what settings or grade, but gorgeous nonetheless.  If the MK2 had a look (and I personally think it did) - this is very close with a 4K upgrade and no Aliasing issues.  DPAF.  File sizes are massive though

On 18/04/2018 at 11:16 PM, Color Philospher said:

You can adjust the WB every which way so you have no idea whether the images you are seeing are stock WB or where it's been skewed between blue, amber, magenta & green. See White Balance Correction on page 68 of the 5D2 manual.