so the iMac Pro is not really professional after all?

no_connection

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 18/04/2018 at 12:42 PM, no_connection said:

I know Servers, the things that hums along in data centers and never break, right? Well no, they do break and what is considered essential is the ability to repair them and replace parts along with the support to back it up.
Same with cameras, I know a pro sports shooter that had his gear held up for a big game and Canon had reps waiting with gear in hand for him to do his job.

Now I would not expect same level of support for consumer equipment, but iMac Pro to not even be fixable?

If binge Netflix viewings are your profession then an iMac is the perfect tool.  It's a throw away item marketed at consumers.  The absurd gloss screen should have been the giveaway there!   

48 minutes ago, CineAlta said:

If binge Netflix viewings are your profession then an iMac is the perfect tool.  It's a throw away item marketed at consumers.  The absurd gloss screen should have been the giveaway there!   

I don’t think you can stream Netflix on an iMac.

However, anyone who loves movies will watch them on a good TV anyhow, as the picture quality is much better.

25 minutes ago, no_connection said:

You do realize ppl actually use these professionally for photo and video editing right? A thing that starts at 4999$ is hardly marketed to consumers or excusable to throwaway.

I see 'professional' and 'closed' system as an oxymoron. Who in their right mind uses a computer whose lifespan is determined by the shortest lifespan of any given component.

I gave up using Macs for desktops when Apple stopped making desktops (which is a while ago.)

Not getting into the ins and outs of legal responsibilities, but this is such an edge case scenario -- he took it apart and broke it. If you knocked an iMac Pro off a table and took it back to Apple for paid repairs they wouldn't bat an eye (you might, once you see the parts bill!) If the roof of your office leaked water onto your iMac Pro you would be able to claim that on insurance (assuming you had the right insurance). There are just so few occasions where you would be refused insurance or repairs, I don't see how his specific circumstance can be translated across to anyone who doesn't take computers apart for a fun and profit.

As an aside, the SSD on my MacBook Pro failed after 2 years and 1 week, and Apple repaired it under warranty. I didn't have Apple Care on it, and I didn't have to fight for it -- the guy just ran diagnostics, saw the failure, booked in the service. So anecdotal evidence goes both ways.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Who calls their employees "Geniouses"?

A Head Genious? So, there are lesser geniouses? Like feet geniouses?

This whole company is a joke. We are shopping a top new mobile phone in the family, and iPhone 8 and X cost here almost twice the price of a top Android phone, and 200-400€ to the new Samsung S9, which admittedly is a much better phone (in specs at least), and they are so ugly, big and heavy, with the worst SAR numbers in the industry.

No way any Apple product worth the asking price, and even Chinese brands are offering design these days, and great servicing. Seriously, there is no excuse.

On ‎4‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 2:03 AM, no_connection said:

You do realize ppl actually use these professionally for photo and video editing right? A thing that starts at 4999$ is hardly marketed to consumers or excusable to throwaway.

They do. It's weird. I work in a company that has been using a broken mac pro (those trashcan shits) that overheats and renders video with errors occasionally. My laptop windows 10 shit works better.