so the iMac Pro is not really professional after all?

no_connection

I know Servers, the things that hums along in data centers and never break, right? Well no, they do break and what is considered essential is the ability to repair them and replace parts along with the support to back it up.
Same with cameras, I know a pro sports shooter that had his gear held up for a big game and Canon had reps waiting with gear in hand for him to do his job.

Now I would not expect same level of support for consumer equipment, but iMac Pro to not even be fixable?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Even though this specific situation is most probably going to be resolved in few months, it does reflect the flippancy with which Apple targets professionals the last years. 

I remember in my good old thinkpad days, anything that happened to my computer would be fixed next day on-site for free. Dell offers similar support. 

Not sure about Canada, but that's against the law here in the U.S. courtesy of the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-switch/wp/2018/04/11/those-stickers-warning-that-repairs-will-void-your-warranty-are-nonsense-ftc-says/?utm_term=.ca4d3e8b506d

Now whether you can win this argument with the sheep working at at Apple Store is another story.

Chris

This is just another case, in which one should check the facts before reaching a conclusion and believe something someone on a YouTube Channel says...

Obviously, Apple declined to repair the iMac because "Linus Tech" took the iMac apart, damaging it in the process and "typically if a Mac is taken apart by someone other than an authorized technician, we can typically no longer service the Mac." In these cases, Apple understandably cannot take the responsibility that the iMac will work again faultlessly. 

Read the whole story here: http://appleinsider.com/articles/18/04/18/apple-refusing-to-fix-youtubers-imac-pro-claims-low-on-facts-light-on-details

Another case of a YouTuber wanting attention, I would say.

Sorry, but I watched the video and read your article. The bottom line is that Linus fully expected and was willing to pay for repairs, but Apple wouldn’t accommodate him. Voiding the warranty because of trying to repair something yourself is clearly a violation of US law. As Trek of Joy says, not sure whether this is the case in Canada. Either way, it’s absurd. 

Not only that, but they wouldn't even allow selling the parts for anyone else to fix. 

And if by making a YT video to recover their losses also brings to light the lack of proper support from Apple and hopefully forcing a change that would benefit the professionals, is perfectly understandable. 

15 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

"and that is that."

Disagree.  

So did this guy and he shared his anecdotal story to millions of people on YT.  

Yeah, he's doing it for views, obviously, but that doesn't mean the situation shouldn't be revealed.  He exposes the fact that Apple, at this time, can not readily supply parts for a model in their Pro line.  That might be valuable information to someone.  It's not as big of a deal as some make it seems as his situation is very unique.  Realistically, who's gonna do the same nonsense he did that creating the dilemma?

However, nothing really wrong with him ranting about it, I say.

4 minutes ago, fuzzynormal said:

Disagree.  

So did this guy and he shared his anecdotal story to millions of people on YT.  

Yeah, he's doing it for views, obviously, but that doesn't mean the situation shouldn't be revealed.  He exposes the fact that Apple, at this time, can not readily supply parts for a model in their Pro line.  That might be valuable information to someone.  It's not as big of a deal as some make it seems as his situation is very unique.  Realistically, who's gonna do the same nonsense he did that creating the dilemma?

However, nothing really wrong with him ranting about it, I say.

Of course, I do not disagree with the information, I agree with you, but they should know better messing with a "closed" system's very closed box.

For power users it is not the best option. I am building all my computers since the 90's, I would never do with a platform like this, but anyone "investing" in the system, should know that it is the Apple's way, or no way at all.

1 hour ago, jonpais said:

Sorry, but I watched the video and read your article. The bottom line is that Linus fully expected and was willing to pay for repairs, but Apple wouldn’t accommodate him. Voiding the warranty because of trying to repair something yourself is clearly a violation of US law. As Trek of Joy says, not sure whether this is the case in Canada. Either way, it’s absurd. 

Well, yes, and I am neither a lawyer nor living in the US, but as far as I know, they weren't trying to repair it, they just opened it for a video. And they did not just open it, the completely disassembled just for fun. And they damaged it by doing so.

If so, this is a different story than trying to repair something that is broken yourself and it is a violation of the terms of service. I read the article cited by Trek of Joy and as I understand it, the law is not a "get out of jail card" in any case, there are restriction. 

And, according to this article, there ARE spare parts etc available for this iMac:

https://www.macrumors.com/2018/04/18/linus-tech-tips-imac-pro-repair-video/

To imply that the iMac Pro is not professional, as the YouTubers did, is at least exaggerated.

If I was being harsh - yet another annoying youtuber click bait rant!

Just look at the facts: they bought a brand new iMac Pro, took it apart & broke it - WTF!? Why would someone do this? It's just pure insanity.

And then look at it from Apple's point of view - someone took apart a brand new computer & say they only broke the screen, but who knows what else they did whilst doing all of this? It could turn out that the damage is much worse than just a screen & as far as they are concerned, it just isn't worth the risk to even attempt a repair - could be it bursts into flames or explodes or whatever, when they try to test the screen repair. They just don't know & knowing what the Health & Safety laws/procedures are like in the UK, most companies will just say no.

There's so much electronic equipment that have tags/stickers etc. that say removing them & opening the equipment will void all warranty (and probably any chance of said company repairing/touching it with a barge pole). If they were so interested in seeing what was inside, then iFixit (or other websites) do exactly this - I bet you they couldn't care less if it gets broke & if it did, they certainly wouldn't ask Apple.

As I said winging click bait BS....

As far as potential damage goes, it wouldn't matter whether it occurred while taking the computer apart or having it drop on the floor by accident. Same thing with a laptop. Many things other a broken screen can get damaged, and thats why there are tests that all these companies perform to identify damaged parts. 

So denying parts because of this makes no sense engineering wise. 

5 minutes ago, Don Kotlos said:

As far as potential damage goes, it wouldn't matter whether it occurred while taking the computer apart or having it drop on the floor by accident. Same thing with a laptop. Many things other a broken screen can get damaged, and thats why there are tests that all these companies perform to identify damaged parts. 

So denying parts because of this makes no sense engineering wise. 

Unless they were doing their own breakdown, broke it & Apple are intentionally screwing them to stop other people doing the same sort of thing?

14 minutes ago, Bioskop.Inc said:

Apple are intentionally screwing them to stop other people doing the same sort of thing

Which is something that I and plenty of other people find obscene. No company should have a say with what I do on something that I have bought. Or how I want to upgrade my computer that is.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/government/eu-prepares-right-to-repair-legislation-to-fight-short-product-lifespans/

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/government/us-states-considering-legislation-to-introduce-right-to-repair-for-electronics/

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/government/ftc-warranty-void-if-removed-stickers-are-illegal/

"Limiting repair options illegal under 1975 US law

The FTC says that such practices are illegal under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, a law that governs consumer product warranties, and which states that no company can put restrictions on the way users choose to repair their products.

The law says that companies can't force users to use only certain types of (astronomically-priced) replacement parts, take produces for repair jobs only at certain repair shops, or can't plaster anti-tampering stickers on products to prevent users from repairing their own products."

Apple Insider says Linus' analogy is inappropriate, because a computer isn't a car, and driving into a streetlamp isn't the same as dropping your computer.

I don't think they understand what an analogy is. :)

And Apple Insider makes it sound like Apple is indeed punishing the customer for being reckless.

What if my doctor refused to treat me because my obesity was caused by overeating? :) 

The answer of course, is to only eat open source potato chips.

27 minutes ago, Don Kotlos said:

Which is something that I and plenty of other people find obscene. No company should have a say with what I do on something that I have bought. Or how I want to upgrade my computer that is.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/government/eu-prepares-right-to-repair-legislation-to-fight-short-product-lifespans/

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/government/us-states-considering-legislation-to-introduce-right-to-repair-for-electronics/

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/government/ftc-warranty-void-if-removed-stickers-are-illegal/

"Limiting repair options illegal under 1975 US law

The FTC says that such practices are illegal under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, a law that governs consumer product warranties, and which states that no company can put restrictions on the way users choose to repair their products.

The law says that companies can't force users to use only certain types of (astronomically-priced) replacement parts, take produces for repair jobs only at certain repair shops, or can't plaster anti-tampering stickers on products to prevent users from repairing their own products."

I do know what you mean & Apple are one of the worst about this - the Law needs changing, for sure. Things will slowly change & these big companies won't be able to get away with screwing with their consumers for much longer. Further, you should be able to take it to whoever you like to get something fixed. And those stickers mean shit, but are really there to stop every amateur from opening things up & maybe electrocuting themselves - cause there can be current in some products, even if they're off.

But there is also a thing about reasonable use & taking apart a closed system computer & breaking it, is not reasonable use - that computer was meant to be used for editing etc., not taken apart for a YouTube channel. I just found that video to be less than honest (I think we weren't given the whole story), but they did offer to pay themselves & most companies would have done it - they probably would have stated that they'd need to do a full service as well & then charged them an absolute fortune. If they had, I bet they would have made a video stating Apple screwed them out of loads of money, when all they wanted was their screen repaired.....

I used to do training courses for managers from the retail sector. It turns out that the Law is mostly on the consumers side. Take, for instance, a washing machine that has a 2yr warranty & it breaks down a few days after the warranty ends (or even 6mths), the company should still repair it & the shop where you bought it should help you do this. There is also the matter of how long an electrical product should last & in most cases the warranty is complete BS - a washing machine should be able to last a lot longer than 2yrs (most do - i've had mine for 10yrs) & so the warranty should be a lot longer.

Oh Yeah, that 1yr warranty Apple give their customers is absolute shite & scandalous.....

8 minutes ago, Bioskop.Inc said:

I used to do training courses for managers from the retail sector. It turns out that the Law is mostly on the consumers side. Take, for instance, a washing machine that has a 2yr warranty & it breaks down a few days after the warranty ends (or even 6mths), the company should still repair it & the shop where you bought it should help you do this. There is also the matter of how long an electrical product should last & in most cases the warranty is complete BS - a washing machine should be able to last a lot longer than 2yrs (most do - i've had mine for 10yrs) & so the warranty should be a lot longer.

Oh Yeah, that 1yr warranty Apple give their customers is absolute shite & scandalous.....

Whoa!  I'm no Apple fanboi.  In fact I am quite the opposite.  But consumer protections vary from country to country and state to state in the United States.  I'm not so sure there are laws everywhere that say a company has to repair something free of cost outside of the warranty period.  That may work in the UK but I have my doubts about the US.

Also one year warranties for consumer electronics is pretty standard in the US.  Apple unfortunately is not an outlier.  I have to say if I were to blow thousands of dollars on an Apple computer I would pony up a few more dollars and get Applecare and extend the warranty.  If those guys had just done that they would be fine.  No sense complaining on the internet.  Applecare covers accidental damage too.

If you really have a mission critical "pro" piece of hardware you pay for the extended warranty and the accidental damage coverage.  It's a freakin' tax write off!

The repair center where going to repair it(since they said they already ordered the parts from Apple), but where forced to deny repair since Apple refused to send any parts for it. This is Apple denying there own service center parts and making it so that noone can fix it, anywhere, ever.

No matter how you dress that up the smell still going to come through.