Old Cameras Still Shine Today

mercer

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
21 hours ago, Ingerson said:

Reviving this thread since I'm guessing I'm not the only one loosing money during these crazy times and want to get an "old" camera to have fun with for cheap.

My newest Camera is the Pocket 4k, a really great camera for what I do.

Nevertheless, I bought a cheap Blackmagic Micro Cinema Camera last year and really like the images a lot.

It´s maximum is 1080p60, but the images really look great and offer great options in the grading process. Combined with vintage lenses it creates really organic footage and there are a lot of situations I prefer this compact Camera to my Pocket 4k.

Overall it depends on the look I want to achieve and the recording modes I need, but for a mid 2015 Camera in this small form factor, it´s insanely good. 

1 hour ago, Mr. Freeze said:

My newest Camera is the Pocket 4k, a really great camera for what I do.

Nevertheless, I bought a cheap Blackmagic Micro Cinema Camera last year and really like the images a lot.

It´s maximum is 1080p60, but the images really look great and offer great options in the grading process. Combined with vintage lenses it creates really organic footage and there are a lot of situations I prefer this compact Camera to my Pocket 4k.

Overall it depends on the look I want to achieve and the recording modes I need, but for a mid 2015 Camera in this small form factor, it´s insanely good. 

How do you find the Micro vs the P4K in the new 2.6K mode?  The new 2.6k mode gives a similar crop factor and many were wondering if the new mode would give the organic look of the Micro and P2K.

I picked up a Micro earlier this year myself, and the images certainly are nice, although as @BTM_Pix said, the footage is RAW, but so is the shooting experience!

On 4/7/2020 at 3:23 PM, kye said:

How do you find the Micro vs the P4K in the new 2.6K mode?  The new 2.6k mode gives a similar crop factor and many were wondering if the new mode would give the organic look of the Micro and P2K.

Here´s a quick comparison I did of the two cameras.

Because I don´t have my Micro Camera with me right now, I compared the original BMPCC with the Pocket 4K.

I used the 24mm Rokinon/Walimex Lens on both cameras in combination with a Focal Reducer from MFT to EF.

The grading was done in Resolve.

4 hours ago, heart0less said:

I'd easily mistake these frames for stills from a movie about some badass boxer if it weren't for those blue and red things in the background. 

Perfect blocking - the light wraps around you providing both key and rim light. 

True.  

@Geoff CB One of the things that I see quite often in grading workflows is the "find anything distracting in the shot and neutralise it" step.  In this case maybe a power window that desaturates the orange to match the overall orange tone and something that shifts the blue towards green to match that tone and also desaturates it so that it doesn't stand out..

Of course, here we are harshly judging a couple of shots you might have just done a very quick grade on!

7 hours ago, heart0less said:

" if it weren't for those blue and red things in the background. "

2 hours ago, kye said:

True.  

@Geoff CB One of the things that I see quite often in grading workflows is the "find anything distracting in the shot and neutralise it" step.  In this case maybe a power window that desaturates the orange to match the overall orange tone and something that shifts the blue towards green to match that tone and also desaturates it so that it doesn't stand out..

Of course, here we are harshly judging a couple of shots you might have just done a very quick grade on!

Set Decorator was lazy that day.

A little more time spent on grade. Was a test of the 4:4:4 out, love the color flexibility.

background adjustment_1.52.3.jpg

Well, I just unloaded my GH5 and G85.  The 'way-too-many-lenses' on on the auction block next.  No seller's remorse so far. 

I still have an old 5DII and Nikkor 50mm, which I'll continue to use for talking head stuff, occasional b-roll too; why not?  My wife still has her X-Pro2 kit.  The Oly EM10III is only $300 used on eBay, and I'm leaning that way...

Round and round we go.  It does feel good to unburden stuff that wasn't getting used a lot though.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, heart0less said:

Examples like these should encourage filmmakers to question if pristine IQ is actually a benefit for one's movies.  I know I have a good-ol-cowboy-western script on my shelf that, if shot, would be well served by lo-fi'ing the image a bit.

On 4/7/2020 at 3:22 PM, Márcio Kabke Pinheiro said:

An used GX85 with the @BTM_Pix Cinelike D hack and a good LUT is an interesting option. Used mine with Leeming LUT, color are MUCH better than stock profiles.

Would love to see some footage. Have been experimenting with the special BW mode and high Kelvin numbers. Then grading the bw footage. Looks  like Bela Tarrs 35mm film stock. In my imagination.:)

From 2002-2006 I traipsed the planet with a Sony PD 150 in search of the ridiculous and downright absurd. I then parked that camera for another and in going forward, took things right off a cliff. Though in truth, I often felt guilty for leaving the 150 in a cold basement away from the action it had known. 

In a world that I believed couldn't possibly get any weirder (though I always hope does), I just sold the PD 150 to a man in the Congo who will now use it to capture evangelical 'speaking in tongues' ceremonies deep in the bush.

All kneel and praise... long live the PD 150! 😉