Who is excited about Resolve 15?

kye

I am!

I've said before that I try to capture in a relatively neutral style and then I put in the work in post, and Resolve is my all-in-one.

I'm excited by Fusion, more specifically for the stabilisation and the 3D titles.  I'm really hoping that I can get better stabilisation than the Classic Stabiliser in v14, as sometimes I film in difficult situations and I need more stabilisation than Resolve currently supplies.  The 3D titles will be cool, but I'm more hoping that combined with the tracker I'll be able to add 3D items into the 3D space I've filmed.

I watched the 20 minute video from BM about Fusion and got lost about a third of the way through.  It's like Resolve is a house and each tab is a doorway through to an array of controls that each rival the space shuttle!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Tried v15 Beta 1. 
Here are my initial impressions:
It's very simple and fast to add titles. There are many predefined 3D templates. More templates will come for sure.
LUT Browser is awesome if you use LUTs and want to try different color grades
Improved speed and interface. 
Improved noise reduction. In v14 noise reduction was good enough for me. V15 is even better.
Very easy to remove objects and/or spots / blemishes on the footage
Whole workflow is well thought and using all the tools is easy and quite intuitive.

Bottom line: It's my only video editing software now. Has everything I need and like it a lot. Well done Blackmagic.

OMG I am!!! I started cutting in Resolve a few months ago and I am never going back! Honestly, just the way the grading and speed ramping works, it saved me 1/3 of my time not to mention the file conforming. I am going to give 15 a shot soon too. Honestly, BRAVO Blackmagic. Your team is amazing!

Just spend the whole night trying to do something with Fusion. Never used that before. I would like to be able to add something to my videos with it. I bought used BMCC some time ago and it is my first cinema camera. So I have plenty to learn. But Resolve is and will be my tool for making my videos. I think BMD is a great company.

Just as voting :) I've already declared several days ago: Resolve 15 is really star of the NAB show.

Studio version is noticable faster and, interestingly, I found also more stable and without few bugs that I noticed in non-studio version.

Noice Reduction indeed results in much more precision and efficacy.

What to say about Fusion - just imagine that I've learned it starting from the eyeon version 5 after death of beloved Combustion :)... I saw with sad how it was surpassed with agressive campaign of Nuke - and now, full resurrection in a hands of BM.

Resolve, in fact, has more impact on industry than new BMPCC - it is, I think, unofficial announce of the end of Flame or even Mistika as supersoftware - for 300$ as separate, or free with camera (or even, it has to be said, as silent agreement for cracked versiоn after rejection of dongle protect). Resolve 15 finally ruin any idea of someone's monopol to high-end software. Blackmagic mission as democratization of type "art for everybody" is in Resolve on its peak - and simply and deeply revolutionary one.

I vote yes!!! I love Resolve.

I am glad to see that Fusion is being interrogated into Resolve 15, but learning Fusion has been kicking my keister up and down the block.

Fusion would be so much better if there were some tutorials produced by Black Magic that made it easier for us beginners. I've check out a lot of tutorials on Youtube and on Lynda.com and they are all kind of meh...

35 minutes ago, Mark Romero 2 said:

I vote yes!!! I love Resolve.

I am glad to see that Fusion is being interrogated into Resolve 15, but learning Fusion has been kicking my keister up and down the block.

Fusion would be so much better if there were some tutorials produced by Black Magic that made it easier for us beginners. I've check out a lot of tutorials on Youtube and on Lynda.com and they are all kind of meh...

https://cmivfx.com/products?utf8=✓&category[id]=10

https://www.fxphd.com/courses/#

(Also old FUS201 and FUS202)

http://render.ru/center/center.php?id=30&mp=course

If you have money... (Or, if you have not or coming from poor region, than... take a look around, maybe someone/somewhere is willing to help :)

5 hours ago, anonim said:

https://cmivfx.com/products?utf8=✓&category[id]=10

https://www.fxphd.com/courses/#

(Also old FUS201 and FUS202)

http://render.ru/center/center.php?id=30&mp=course

If you have money... (Or, if you have not or coming from poor region, than... take a look around, maybe someone/somewhere is willing to help :)

Thanks for the links.

Have you tried any of the course you linked to? Which one(s) do you recommend?

Yes, I tried them all except last one from Fxphd. I also at the first place recommend fxphd's - I'd suggest, look around for early ones, Fus201 and Fus202 - Fusion doesn't change anything in its base using at least for 7 years.

There's also great old course with Matt Lennard's own company called Fusion 3D, although for Fusion v5-6 (Lennard also was instructor on first fxphd's) - I have this dvd it somewhere, but I can't remember the name od Lennard's company to easy find a link.

Early cmivfx's have plethora of more specific informations and examples - for example, there's still not, I think, anything better about using of particles than two courses from cmivfx. Fusion particle system was so advanced even before 8 years that it doesn't need any add (at the time where Nuke has no anything similar). Their not so long course about rotoscoping - which maybe the most important for Resolve users - is also great, concise and simple.

EDIT

http://www.spherevfx.com/videotraining/legacy/fusion-5-in-depth-3d/

correction - Matt Leonard not Matt Lennard

Just found out about the Shared Nodes feature - (13:25 in the below video).

TL;DR: You can turn any node into a "shared" node and then paste it into other node graphs however you like, but any change you make to that node is applied to all the node graphs where that node appears.

This is incredibly useful as it means that you can basically have an unlimited amount of groups.  

The most common way that I would apply it is like this..  Imagine you shoot a video with two cameras.  You can have one node (or multiples) that are common across camera 1, and a different set across camera 2 that means that the cameras are now matched.  Then imagine you have two scenes that you want to colour differently, in my case it might be a night scene vs a day scene, so you can create a node/nodes that are shared across scene 1 and another set shared across scene 2.

This is far more flexible than the Groups functionality that was in v14, as with the groups you could either group shots by camera or by scene but not by both, so the above wasn't possible to do except for manually copying grades.

Killer!

Yes - Resolve can now dance a circle around competition because of obviously mostly modern, flexible code system (it seems that Resolve refresh it from the ground about v12). As it is widely known, problem with Premiere is obsolent base code. Adding new and new possibilities is more easy with such code construction.

What is unbelievable is so fast inclusion - it seems very efficient - of totally different code system of Fusion... Or it could be that they are not so different after unnoticed refreshing of Resolve - which than demonstrate BM highly clever software planning strategy. Actually, I believe that as mediator here played important role now killed eyeon's complementary Generation, written as extremely flexible open source system.

18 minutes ago, anonim said:

Yes - Resolve can now dance a circle around competition because of obviously mostly modern, flexible code system (it seems that Resolve refresh it from the ground about v12). As it is widely known, problem with Premiere is obsolent base code. Adding new and new possibilities is more easy with such code construction.

What is unbelievable is so fast inclusion - it seems very efficient - of totally different code system of Fusion... Or it could be that they are not so different after unnoticed refreshing of Resolve - which than demonstrate BM highly clever software planning strategy. Actually, I believe that as mediator here played important role now killed eyeon's complementary Generation, written as extremely flexible open source system.

You make an excellent point about the speed of integrating these different pieces of software.

Software can be structured to be easy to do these things, but it can be a lot of work and a large investment.  

To me this shows that Blackmagic have obviously put a huge amount of effort into a long-term strategy and there is some excellent leadership behind these changes.  It also shows in things like the BMPCC 4K which on first impression looks like it's a wishlist from every indy filmmaker.

Here's the intro to Fusion video from the same youtuber as the above - most of the people were asking for a fusion video in the comments!

He shows an example of doing a screen-replacement on a phone, which is cool because it involves compositing and tracking.

This thing really is like learning to drive the space shuttle..