Fuji X-T2 Gets F-log, 120 fps.

Geoff CB

4 minutes ago, Attila Bakos said:

That's not that easy unfortunately. I created my own method and software to do these conversions. I take about 15000 reference points from each profile to build the conversion LUTs. So basicly I need to have the body for a few days, I can't give away my method and tools.

Gotcha. Fully understand. If I could provide you with a body, I gladly would. 

Thank you for your work and for making it available! I look forward to downloading and experimenting with your LUTs this weekend. 

Where are you located, btw?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
10 hours ago, Kisaha said:

Honest question. Why took them a couple of years to do something that was doable since day 1? 

Does this have something to do with overheating, and didn't want to fry their electronics early in their warranty period, or didn't want to, just because?

Well, if you think of it like a smartphone, where the phone ships with one set of features and new features are added with new OS revisions, then you get a roughly comparable situation. When the X-T2 came out 120fps wasn't standard amongst cameras of its type, so they develop what they can in the time that they have and they put it on the market to make the profits to plow back into making it better. As the development process goes on for new models, new software/techniques/efficiencies are created, and the company is at a crossroads -- do you keep new features it for new models (as almost every other camera company does) or do you release it to existing devices (as a lot of smartphone companies do). Fuji is probably the most "honest" about what a camera is these days -- an imaging computer. Computers can be improved with software, and unlike Sony, they actually follow up with feature updates.  

I see a lot of "why didn't they have this at release" or "with Fuji you're buying a half-baked camera" comments across all forums. That's complete bunk. The XT2 was a great camera when I bought it shortly after release. It is much better than the a6300 it replaced. It got a Dpreview Gold award, and lots of praise from other reviewers that weren't on Fuji's dime. Fuji is never going to be cutting edge - especially on the video side. They've addressed bugs in a timely manner. Even without the feature updates its still a great camera. The fact that we're getting stuff like continued AF improvements, 120p and focus stacking without having to buy a new body like Sony is a bonus.

Every camera I've owned in recent years had issues, including the Blackmagic Pocket, 5d2, 5d3, Samsung NX1, a7r2, a7s2 and XT2. Samsung fixed some of the problems and then abandoned the NX before sorting the obnoxious noise at 1600 and above. Blackmagic took too long to issue fixes so I sold it. Canon issued bug fixes and added 24p to the 5d2. Sony did a bug fix update on the a7's, but fixed everything else in the a7r3. Fuji has done the most, and its not close. You know damn well Sony could add PP's to the a9, improve the AF algorithms of all its cameras, or add features to its other cameras - but they do nothing except release new bodies. My a7r2 is now worth barely more than my XT2, despite costing twice as much. 

The continued refinement is one reason I'm in the Fuji camp. I buy what works for my needs, but its nice to have the camera get better over time.

Chris

11 hours ago, Trek of Joy said:

I see a lot of "why didn't they have this at release" or "with Fuji you're buying a half-baked camera" comments across all forums. That's complete bunk. The XT2 was a great camera when I bought it shortly after release. It is much better than the a6300 it replaced. It got a Dpreview Gold award, and lots of praise from other reviewers that weren't on Fuji's dime. Fuji is never going to be cutting edge - especially on the video side. They've addressed bugs in a timely manner. Even without the feature updates its still a great camera. The fact that we're getting stuff like continued AF improvements, 120p and focus stacking without having to buy a new body like Sony is a bonus.

Every camera I've owned in recent years had issues, including the Blackmagic Pocket, 5d2, 5d3, Samsung NX1, a7r2, a7s2 and XT2. Samsung fixed some of the problems and then abandoned the NX before sorting the obnoxious noise at 1600 and above. Blackmagic took too long to issue fixes so I sold it. Canon issued bug fixes and added 24p to the 5d2. Sony did a bug fix update on the a7's, but fixed everything else in the a7r3. Fuji has done the most, and its not close. You know damn well Sony could add PP's to the a9, improve the AF algorithms of all its cameras, or add features to its other cameras - but they do nothing except release new bodies. My a7r2 is now worth barely more than my XT2, despite costing twice as much. 

The continued refinement is one reason I'm in the Fuji camp. I buy what works for my needs, but its nice to have the camera get better over time.

Chris

Its really sad that My A7r II that I sold my NX1 and D750 for is worth about new D750 at this point :)