BIG NEWS - Hands on with CONTINUOUS raw recording on Canon 5D Mark III

Andrew Reid

I don't want to grade before I edit, nor do I want to edit DNG so proxy and reconform seems sensible.

So raw to dng, then turn these DNG sequences into little H264 or DNxHD proxies for editing. Then send this sequence to AE or DaVinci  and replace the H264s with the original DNG sequences for grading.

Grading before editing seems like the wrong way round to me.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Actually i think I should have said: Grading before editing is the wrong way round, unless all you're shooting is a test video for online.

For anything else, you'll want to edit your piece first with some little proxies, then when you're happy with the cut, return to the raw for grading.

That kind of discipline works wonders for workflow and turnaround, and is more likely to result in a focused piece.

Actually i think I should have said: Grading before editing is the wrong way round.

Totally agree, grading is also about color and mood continuity, working in favor of the story, doing it before on a per shot basis kind of misses the point.

Actually i think I should have said: Grading before editing is the wrong way round, unless all you're shooting is a test video for online.

For anything else, you'll want to edit your piece first with some little proxies, then when you're happy with the cut, return to the raw for grading.

That kind of discipline works wonders for workflow and turnaround, and is more likely to result in a focused piece.

You know, it's funny, you are completely right, but I still do it the other way round. I don't know why. It takes longer, it's wasteful and inefficient given that about 60%-70% of the material will be cut and trimmed, thus lots of rendering/human time will be wasted, but I love this workflow much more and use for personal projects. Editing graded footage in FCPX is just very different experience, you feel alot closer to the finished piece as you make those cuts.

Totally agree, grading is also about color and mood continuity, working in favor of the story, doing it before on a per shot basis kind of misses the point.

Remember that creating the mood in post was really something that took off in the 90's with the aggressive telecine processes, - for most of cinematic history selecting the look for the film was about selecting the film stock and lighting long before the editing process began, so there's tradition there, one that is no longer necessary in the age of raw but still strangely intuitive to those used to the old ways.

In 10 years our idea of RAW footage will be the ability to change Depth of Field of our footage in post....we might even be able to eventually change focus lengths and lenses all completely in post, we'll probably look back at today's techniques for pre-selecting a lens for a shot as also being inefficient and unnecessary, now that would be funny. Just food for thought.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Komputerbay 256GB CF card ... 1200x   137MB write speed tested. 

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EM9I6II/&tag=planet5d-20/ref=cm_sw_su_dp

Availability = non existent. 

Sounds like the dream card for 5D Mark III raw recording.  BUT IT does not aparetly work. 

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=7801.0

Tested on 5D mkII, mkIII and 7D.
The cards was tested to be compatible with magic lantern and canon firmware unlike the 1050x.
Benchmarks show similar results as 32 or 64 gig 1000x. The cameras seem to be the limiting factor.
When formatted as 256 gig via your computer or straight from the box, the cards will initially be seen as such by the camera.

However, when you format the card in-camera, it will reduce its capacity to 128gig.
Tested the 5dmkII for capacity test indicates it cannot record past 128gig on the card. (we recorded 116gig)

For now only 2 card readers are confirmed and tested to be compatible, the lexar and transcend card readers.
Other brands will only show the CF card as 132 gig only.

• 1 month later...

For me it's about discipline!

It's tempting to start colouring straight away because it's fun, but first the story/edit/pace needs to be right so colour and sound actually serve a purpose. Otherwise I'm putting colour first, literally, and it's simply not the most important.

Also, sticking music and colour there can trick you into thinking something is working when it isn't, I feel using those tricks to muddle through is a last resort really, but a piece should at least hang together without them as an edit,with the exceptions being 'signature' bits of sound and so on, like jumps in horror films.

I think so many shorts I see at festivals have had a huge focus on technology and aesthetic, worry about lenses, shooting on exotic cameras and grading in expensive aspirational Linux-based suites, but the pacing is dire so no-one actually cares. A lot of that is the edit.

I fear falling into that trap

So I start with the edit and don't colour til it's finished. It's a reward for me too  ;)

Can anyone help me on this one... I follow the guide line on how to install magic lantern raw on the 5 D marklll and when i make my SD card bootable with with the macboot, i use the macboot command, cause im on mountain lion. when i then insert the SD card to the camera my camera wont start up, untill i remove the the battery and the SD card ?

Any one tried this ?

simon

Komputerbay 256GB CF card ... 1200x   137MB write speed tested. 

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EM9I6II/&tag=planet5d-20/ref=cm_sw_su_dp

Availability = non existent. 

Sounds like the dream card for 5D Mark III raw recording.  BUT IT does not aparetly work. 

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=7801.0

Tested on 5D mkII, mkIII and 7D.
The cards was tested to be compatible with magic lantern and canon firmware unlike the 1050x.
Benchmarks show similar results as 32 or 64 gig 1000x. The cameras seem to be the limiting factor.
When formatted as 256 gig via your computer or straight from the box, the cards will initially be seen as such by the camera.

However, when you format the card in-camera, it will reduce its capacity to 128gig.
Tested the 5dmkII for capacity test indicates it cannot record past 128gig on the card. (we recorded 116gig)

For now only 2 card readers are confirmed and tested to be compatible, the lexar and transcend card readers.
Other brands will only show the CF card as 132 gig only.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/KOMPUTERBAY-256GB-Professional-COMPACT-Extreme/dp/B00EM9I6II/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1382298601&sr=8-2&keywords=KOMPUTERBAY+256GB

ouch

I'm a longtime viewer of the forum but have finally needed to ask a few questions:

When using the ML raw firmware are you looking at the same video image you would normally see out of the 5d3? Is the monitoring experience changed at all?

Also, is 23.98p 1920x1080 recording possible while recording an audio track (for guide) on the Lexar 1000x or Sandisk 160MB/s cards? Anyone have experience with this? Is there any delay between stopping a take and being able to start a new one?

Roughly how long does it take to process pro-res files from the DNGs in Resolve or After Effects? I'd like to make dailies overnight from 1-2 hours of footage with a 2012 macbook pro. 

thanks for any help with these answers!

I'm a longtime viewer of the forum but have finally needed to ask a few questions:

When using the ML raw firmware are you looking at the same video image you would normally see out of the 5d3? Is the monitoring experience changed at all?

Also, is 23.98p 1920x1080 recording possible while recording an audio track (for guide) on the Lexar 1000x or Sandisk 160MB/s cards? Anyone have experience with this? Is there any delay between stopping a take and being able to start a new one?

Roughly how long does it take to process pro-res files from the DNGs in Resolve or After Effects? I'd like to make dailies overnight from 1-2 hours of footage with a 2012 macbook pro. 

thanks for any help with these answers!

Monitoring seems to be the same from what I have seen. There are white guide boxes that appear as overlays with ML raw unfortunately. I have not been able to turn them off.

Unfortunately audio cannot be recorded alongside raw vide at present.

Proxy generation time will depend on your computer. I recently exported 51 minutes of 1080P footage on my 2013 iMac. I walked away and wasn't timing it, but I think that it took between one and two hours. Letting it run overnight should be plenty of time.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello 

i have a new canon 5D mark 3 with 1.1.2 firmware version.. and i dont know where to get 1.1.3 

Where to get Canon Firmware 1.1.3 (Windows version)? 

i can see the 1.2.3 firmware version.

Also what builds do you use with your 5D mk3  

the latest Alfa 

Latest Build

• Built on: 2013-12-19 01:11:09 +0100 

EDITED I got it from some Hungary site