BIG NEWS - Hands on with CONTINUOUS raw recording on Canon 5D Mark III

Andrew Reid

That's the thing, though... it's NOT free. Not everyone owns the 5D. Most I would say actually don't. And if it's a choice between buying a $3,000 camera that shoots a few seconds of unstable raw and buying a $2,995 or $3,995 camera that shoots stable raw at a higher resolution, I'd say that Blackmagic still wins when presented to undecided customers.

Speaking of BMPC, there is a curious lack of demo footage online for a camera that is releasing in July. I really hope they will learn from Canon and realize the importance of putting prototypes in the hands of filmmakers early on. C300, for all its technical faults, had a top notch marketing showcase campaign with various short films. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I traded my old 5D in for a 50D and cash.

Got raw recording working. Tested with Sandisk 32GB 95MB/s CF.

1592 is the max width. Max reliable speed seems to be 50MB/s for me with this card.

Results (24 fps):

1592x1062 - frame skipping after about 50 frames (67.7MB/s)
1592x840 - frame skipping after about 480 frames (53.5MB/s)
1592x720 - no frame skipping (44.3MB/s)

1320x1062 - frame skipping after about 300 frames (56.1MB/s)
1320x960 - frame skipping after about 1200 frames (50.7MB/s)
1320x840 - no frame skipping (44.3MB/s)

1280x1062 - frame skipping after about 250 frames (54.4 MB/s)
1280x960 - no frame skipping (49.2MB/s)

Yes. That is a 5 year old dslr, worth about €300 (probably more soon, get one while you can!) shooting raw video without problems in a lovely 1280x960 ratio for 2x anamorphic :wub:

Will keep you guys updated about the quality, moire etc.

Sample footage! shot some boring bricks to test for moire. Looks pretty good to me. I have the feeling it's better than the 5DII... Would have to check in a direct comparison though.

[url=https://www.wetransfer.com/downloads/9601255fb2b189b37b4b0d44cb0194c320130525170445/0fc5fb145e9213a3c61911886b4a751d20130525170445/70564c]Download here (WeTransfer)[/url]

Some exported sequences and some DNG files to play with. All the info in the readme.txt.

1592x840 @ 24 fps - Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 @ f/8
1280x960 @ 24 fps - Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 + Kowa B&H 2x anamorphic - Stretched to 2560x960 in Premiere
And a sharpened 1920x720 version of that last one.

I love this :D

gallery_20742_64_61847.jpg

Just need to order some badges... :P

Take a look at this. From the 50D.

[URL=http://www.eoshd.com/comments/gallery/image/516-50diso/]gallery_20742_64_347616.jpg[/URL]

Straight conversion from DNG, just fixed the white balance. No sharpening, no luminance noise reduction, just the default color noise reduction.

Guess what ISO this was shot on....

This is nothing short of a miracle. ISO... 400?

No...

ISO H2... 12.800 equivalent. Yes, really! :blink:

I still can't believe what I'm seeing.

There is banding in the moving images though, but still, it's crazy.

Just did a rerun with a nikkor 50mm 1.4... movies soon.

The 50D is going to be a huge hype I think :) 1592x840 looks perfect played on full screen at 1920x1080. With the current built it starts skipping frames at some point. But if it gets stable with some more optimizing.. then wow.

Grab one while you can :)

• Administrators

No...

ISO H2... 12.800 equivalent. Yes, really! :blink:

I still can't believe what I'm seeing.

There is banding in the moving images though, but still, it's crazy.

Just did a rerun with a nikkor 50mm 1.4... movies soon.

The 50D is going to be a huge hype I think :) 1592x840 looks perfect played on full screen at 1920x1080. With the current built it starts skipping frames at some point. But if it gets stable with some more optimizing.. then wow.

Grab one while you can :)

Unbelievable. 15MP sensor yet Super 35mm sized will have a lot to do with that. This was before huge cost cutting (see 60D - meh) and even more cost cutting (See entire Rebel line) and the megapixel race. For me, 5D Mark II and 50D in late 2008 was Canon's peak of innovation. Great cameras.

Have you tried other cards - KomputerBay, any 1000x speed CFs?

Thanks for the front page article, very cool! :D

This is the fasted card I have Andrew. But I think the camera is the limiting factor. 1592 is the maximum width of the live view in 1x mode. You can go to 1900-something in 5x zoom. I think my card is faster than 50MB/s as well but probably like the 5D2 the 50D has a limitation in the CF controller. Would make sense since it's an old beast. Probably I can test faster cards soon!

Rendering a video with the extreme iso's, will let you know when it's up, would be nice if you could add it to the article!

/edit: need sleep.. footage tomorrow :)

Very exciting stuff great job ML. I'm glad I switched over to Canon, I've been telling my brother we should go Canon for a while and luckily he listened lol. I've been unable to see most of the footage due to problems with my internet, but what i have seen looks very promising indeed. Are there any updates on the 5d2? We mainly do music videos and would love to utilize raw shooting for them. How is the workflow though? I'm definitely not a pro when it comes to video editing etc but what do you do after you've shot the footage? I've read about the raw2dng but then what? Does it make a dng file per frame? Are you color correcting the dng(s) in after effects before converting them? Also how long does the conversion from raw to dng as well as dng to prores etc take? We have a pretty good comp hopefully it'll be enough for all of this. I know its a lot of questions but as you can tell we're still relatively new to video. If you guys can help us get up to speed I'd really appreciate it looking forward to checking out all the new vids.

Thanks for the front page article, very cool! :D

This is the fasted card I have Andrew. But I think the camera is the limiting factor. 1592 is the maximum width of the live view in 1x mode. You can go to 1900-something in 5x zoom. I think my card is faster than 50MB/s as well but probably like the 5D2 the 50D has a limitation in the CF controller. Would make sense since it's an old beast. Probably I can test faster cards soon!

Rendering a video with the extreme iso's, will let you know when it's up, would be nice if you could add it to the article!

/edit: need sleep.. footage tomorrow :)

Anyone want to take me through the mundane workflow of making a 50d video ready? I understand they don't come with video out of the box - what's the hack needed to make it film operational? Is there also a ML alpha firmware out there to do what Julian has accomplished?

Anyone want to take me through the mundane workflow of making a 50d video ready? I understand they don't come with video out of the box - what's the hack needed to make it film operational? Is there also a ML alpha firmware out there to do what Julian has accomplished?

Download Magic Lantern Unified from the ML homepage, install according to instructions. Then you will have Magic Lantern, but no raw yet.

Check this topic: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5586.msg39086#msg39086

Download the autoexec.bin and replace it with the one that is on your CF card. Also add the modules folder and you should be good to go.

Simple as that!

Incredible stuff. Julian, what filesize are you getting for the raw files on the card before you've processed them into DNGs? I'm trying to extrapolate how much footage one could fit on a card.

I'm debating whether to get a 64gb or 32 gb card. And of course there's the question of the speed for the 50d workflow, too! I guess if it's peaking at 50 mb/s there's not much point in spending the extra money on a 1000x card.

Thanks!

I really have to speed up my workflow... batch editting all the frames (without selecting first) in Adobe Camera Raw and exporting them to edit/select was a bad idea. Takes too much time and Bridge crashes when I try to batch export 11000 DNG's :)

New version of RAWanizer looks good!

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5557.0

RAWanizer.0.3.0.JPG

Next time I'm going to make some proxies first...