BIG NEWS - Hands on with CONTINUOUS raw recording on Canon 5D Mark III

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Funny, 50D tests going on. That camera didn't even have a film mode :) It does have live view though, and apparently a relatively big buffer and fast output (UDMA 6, 133Mbps).

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5481.0

Would be awesome if the ancient 50D turns out to film in raw at higher resolutions than the 600D etc.

• Administrators

Funny, 50D tests going on. That camera didn't even have a film mode :) It does have live view though, and apparently a relatively big buffer and fast output (UDMA 6, 133Mbps).

Would be awesome if the ancient 50D turns out to film in raw at higher resolutions than the 600D etc.

Haha amazing. Will follow that closely.

When you think about it the 50D was basically a scaled down version of the 5D2 and it shares much of the same hardware as the 5D2. I would not be surprized if we can get awsome RAW video from it . . . I have one. Fingers crossed!  B)

It would be interesting to see comparison between 5dmk3 and BMCC (m43) + SpeedBooster (when available).

BMCC will get 1 additional stop of light with all Canon EF lenses. For all low-light freaks this would be fair comparison :) .

Posted this on Bloom's blogpost. Part of me thinks he realised he dropped the ball on this one and wants the whole thing to go away. Like Andrew said with great power comes great responsibility.

19 HOURS AGO
Your comment is awaiting moderation.

Totally agree with Sam Tansey here. PB as much as I respect your work and like many of your articles, I think this one comes off as more of a convoluted ramble or rant, with too many obvious things like “focus on story and shooting more†. That’s fine though I know your website isn’t just for helping others but also for ranting too.

Your response to Sam was a much nicer balanced view of everything, but your article and initial tweets were clearly negative and skeptical towards the ML hack, no matter how much you elaborate afterwards.

I honestly think you responded awkwardly to the ML update because you feel left out. This amazing development is simply not relevant to you anymore. Several years ago you probably would have jumped up and down with joy. My only camera is a Nex-5n and I wouldn’t even consider shelling out my savings for a 5DMiii until I saw the videos of this new hack. In your blog post you talk about how much you love using your 1DC which is a $12k camera. Most of us can’t afford a $12 camera with all the toys around it.

I appreciate that you try hard to relate to the newbies and the hobbyists as well as the pros and semi-pros, but maybe you should stop trying. You’re in the working pro league for a while now, with lots of experience and gear under your shoulders (due to hard work of course) and travelling the world giving seminars.

Instead of constantly elaborating and glossing over everything, I think you just should man up and confess that you reacted to the ML raw hack that way because the whole DLSR community were crazy overjoyed and you simply didn’t feel like part of the party anymore.

Not trying to provoke you with this post, just my honest opinion.

Amro

Amro Why did you write that? Seems like a waste of good internet space if you ask me. Everyone has an agenda of some kind. Andrew competes with Blooms site. So what We all have our favourites and vested interests. Where the conflict arises is when somebody is deceptive or when you get gurus who act like gods and trash the truth. There are websites who want you to praise the cameras their sponsors advertise and wont accept a bad word said about them and allow lies and deceptions from their members about them. That is annoying. But Phil Bloom doesn't do that. He does however give some very good reviews for FREE. So you can bypass the ads and get the facts. He is being called out over the 5D Hack but is that actually reality. What he has said so far has been fair. Those using this hack will have many problems that are just not there with the BMC. For the majority of stuff most will as things stand shoot prores. The only time you need raw is when you have no control over lighting. The 5D processes an incredible amount of data Maybe to much work for most.

Hacking the 5D PROVES technology has been held back but it is not a game changer or the biggest thing ever. It is simply competition for the BMC Kineraw Digital Bolex all at the lower end of the scale. The footage from the 5D colour wise Looks amazing but after settling down a bit I don't believe it is as cinematic as the BMC. The colours I've seen so far tie in with their lenses Bright and perhaps oversaturated. The best that can be said is it is like having a new film stock. Having one minute films with bright and pretty colours will not neccesarily translate into a watchable feature. It's not about how pretty the image is its about the story The acting The lighting The emotion. Maybe the 5D is oversaturated and maybe the BMC is under so maybe through colour correction there is a middle ground they should both reach..

Lets be fair although the Hack is great for the lower end The pro's will still be using the Canon C500 and not the 5D. But the lower end is certainly looking healthy now.

Amro Why did you write that? Seems like a waste of good internet space if you ask me. Everyone has an agenda of some kind. Andrew competes with Blooms site. So what We all have our favourites and vested interests. Where the conflict arises is when somebody is deceptive or when you get gurus who act like gods and trash the truth. There are websites who want you to praise the cameras their sponsors advertise and wont accept a bad word said about them and allow lies and deceptions from their members about them. That is annoying. But Phil Bloom doesn't do that. He does however give some very good reviews for FREE. So you can bypass the ads and get the facts. He is being called out over the 5D Hack but is that actually reality. What he has said so far has been fair. Those using this hack will have many problems that are just not there with the BMC. For the majority of stuff most will as things stand shoot prores. The only time you need raw is when you have no control over lighting. The 5D processes an incredible amount of data Maybe to much work for most.

Why is it a waste of space? I don't mind Bloom's ads on the website, I never complained about them. And this has nothing to do with Andrew competing with Bloom either as when they have differing points of view I am sometimes on Bloom's side and sometimes on Andrew's side. For example the last argument they had I totally thought Andrew was being unreasonable and it sparked Bloom's reaction etc etc.

HOWEVER, in this case I totally think that Bloom's reaction to the ML hack was absurd. It went against everything I thought the guy was about, and it felt spiteful and egotistical instead of positive and progressive.  Any videographer with half a brain knows that story/content is a priority and that raw workflow is slower and requires more processing power.

Besides I'm not hating on the guy. I already said I respect him and his work and even tweeted that to him more than once. 

HOWEVER, in this case I totally think that Bloom's reaction to the ML hack was absurd. It went against everything I thought the guy was about, and it felt spiteful and egotistical instead of positive and progressive.

Perhaps. But maybe that's because we don't live in a vacuum. If there has already been huge amounts of sites reporting on the ML hack positively and with huge hyperbole, why not one that focuses on the negative a bit more? Imagine if the BMC had only been getting positive reviews without anyone mentioning the negatives (like skipping over moire? Some people have actually been kinda duped by it, but that's their own fault).

On another note, perfectionism can be a huge downside into actually getting creative and doing interesting stuff. I'm also someone who tends to fall onto the technical side of things but that's not why we are actually watching stuff. Now it's very interesting and fun messing with formats and spend days converting stuff and looking at pixels...but that's always the easy job. Some people say that it's extremely important. I disagree with that. People have a feeling that finally all the vulnerabilities are gone and now they can be in 100% control of the image. That feeling of vulnerability and feeling of "I'm not qualified enough" will disappear when they see RAW-images and are hooked.

I think we need to get off the whole PB thing. He's reaction was measured, and not really that controversial. His aversion to raw on the 5d3 is the same as it was for the BMCC, so he's been pretty consistent about the raw revolution (unlike some of the people criticizing him). 

He thinks it's great for the image, but huge a pain in the ass for the workflow, and that's unsurprising given the volume of footage he shoots.

So what did Bloom say about the hack? I thought it was positive but the complaint is that he hasn't done a story on what some regard as the the biggest thing since sliced bread It certainly is for those with a 5D but those without one and cash in their pocket its another choice in the RAW lower price range.

What I think would be really helpful is to have some footage indoor outdoor of people in raw original format from both cameras Then we can get to work making proper comparisons with colour correction. instead of messing about watching colour graded stuff or sunsets or pretty porches with mixed tungsten lighting. All we need is two minutes of each one shot next to each other in the same location and then we can properly compare. Andrew?

On another note, perfectionism can be a huge downside into actually getting creative and doing interesting stuff. I'm also someone who tends to fall onto the technical side of things but that's not why we are actually watching stuff. Now it's very interesting and fun messing with formats and spend days converting stuff and looking at pixels...but that's always the easy job. Some people say that it's extremely important. I disagree with that. People have a feeling that finally all the vulnerabilities are gone and now they can be in 100% control of the image. That feeling of vulnerability and feeling of "I'm not qualified enough" will disappear when they see RAW-images and are hooked.

I agree that not having 100% control and being vulnerable does foster creativity, but we aren't just talking about raw here. The ML update greatly improves sharpness, dynamic range, colour depth etc. 

I am myself guilty of spending a little too much time on technology instead of creative production, in video and in audio. But that is every person's challenge- to not waste time faffing about and get down to the hard work. Having this ML update in your arsenal isn't going to suddenly make you a time-wasting, procrastinating failure. Instead it will give you the option to make your non time-critical professional projects so much better. 

• Administrators

HOWEVER, in this case I totally think that Bloom's reaction to the ML hack was absurd. It went against everything I thought the guy was about, and it felt spiteful and egotistical instead of positive and progressive.  Any videographer with half a brain knows that story/content is a priority and that raw workflow is slower and requires more processing power.

Besides I'm not hating on the guy. I already said I respect him and his work and even tweeted that to him more than once. 

This is the main issue I have as well, I find to be told that story and content are important is downright patronising. To be constantly reminded of the obvious, and that raw files are larger than compressed files is no help to me at all. I love the challenge of gearing up for the future and learning raw is a big part of that. It's why I built a Hackintosh and it's working beautifully. So much fun. So much gain in image quality.

Am I in competition with Philip's blog? If I am then I think there's room for more than two websites in the world. Have you seen how many there are out there?!

Philip's blog is separate to me as Philip the person. If I don't find his advice or blog useful any more then it shouldn't reflect badly on him, I just think we're taking different paths with our approach to filmmaking.

On the technical side, yes if you work with 4K and/or raw then your macbook pro simply won't cut it anymore. I have an Alienware M17x which is a gaming laptop, with a powerful i7 CPU and soon to be 680m nvidia graphics card. It's great with Adobe Premiere because of the CUDA support.

Soon enough people will start realising that if you want to efficiently edit this stuff you need either a PC desktop, hackintosh (like Andrew discussed before), or gaming/ workstation notebook running premiere or whatever program can utilise CUDA. Clevo/ Sager laptops are particularly nice if you want a professional looking and well-built laptop with beastly power. 

If you absolutely can't go PC and don't want to set up a hackintosh, then the best option would be the new iMac with specifically the 680MX graphics card option. That's a good card and will have enough CUDA cores to handle the big files. And soon we will have the new generation of graphics cards from both Nvidia and ATI.

The biggest mistake you could ever make is wasting money on a Mac Pro. Hugely overpriced and very dated now. There are much better 3rd party graphics options for the Mac Pro now... but if you go with the stock spec you will get an old piece of shit that is much weaker than the current iMac offerings.