BIG NEWS - Hands on with CONTINUOUS raw recording on Canon 5D Mark III

Andrew Reid

Hyperbole? C100 is not raw or full frame or $3k. It's a whole different ballgame creatively. I've shot with the C100, the image is mush compared to raw on the 5D Mark III. You are looking at compressed 5D footage in the DVX comparison. You try grading a DNG from the 5D Mark III and a AVCHD frame from the C100 and see what happens.

Using the Ninja 2 and Neat Video with both the C100 HDMI out (with Canon Log) and the 5D3 HDMI out (with Cinestyle) yields perfectly gradeable and usable footage provided a camera operator able to set a custom white balance and expose for the highlights properly. Those are the best "official" (unhacked) low light options available under $10K and the Ninja is a joy to use and cut the footage from....you can literally shoot all day and not worry about batteries or storage and the ProRes or DNx drops straight into your NLE with scenes and shots and takes all numbered for you. That is absolutely a professional workflow and any operator that can call themselves professional will be able to get a completely broadcast or big screen-ready result that way.

There's a bit of pot-meet-kettle with all the criticism of Bloom and Laforet not falling all over themselves publicly over the ML RAW hack. To avoid being guilty of the same unfairness we can't dismiss entirely what's already officially here and working for real productions rather than a few image quality junkies. The RAW image will likely give more latitude and color accuracy, but I'm not yet sure it provides more DR or resolution than the HDMI out with a log gamma. We need scientific tests to determine that and to date ZERO have been posted, just a bunch of image junkie anecdata examples.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators

Not denying any of that pee.

Also I am not criticising Laforet in the way you're insinuating. I suggest you re-read the blog post!

You clearly haven't seen the DNG files if you're not sure it provides more resolution or dynamic range than the HDMI out with log gamma!!!

You don't need a chart test just use your bloody eyes mate!

I was actually trying to test out my CF cards yesterday.  On my Transcend 64GB 1000x card, on the May 17th build I couldn't get past 78.1 MBs so I got dropped frames at 1920x1080.  I went back to the original May12th build and I could again record 1920x1080 at 81 MBs with no dropped frames.

However a funny thing happened.  After looking at my video files, I found out that I was recording BOTH H.264 internal and RAW to the CF card.  I guess with the May 12th build, you have to go into the menu to start recording.  I must have forgotten that the start/stop button didn't start RAW, but I hit it and the H.264 started.  My H.264 clip is actually something like 5min long, but I started and stopped RAW recording from within the menu.  So I have exact matching video files of H.264 and RAW.  I have them in my video, and I also graded the H.264 to see the differences.  The RAW recording is choppy, probably because of dropped frames and recording both types of files.

Not sure you can see the difference with the severe YT compression, but check it out for yourself:

It's almost counter-intuitive that Raw is more useful for the indie filmmakers than the pros. Raw probably does't offer much to people working on a set who can get the look they want with proper lighting and good monitoring.  But the 5D3 upgrade isn't just raw, it's also an honest 1080, whereas the ol 5D3 was circa 900 mush. 

900? More like 700 it seemed.

I remember when i saw the first demo video for the 5D3. That nonsense marionette bit. I remember thinking:

"!@#$ 720 !@#$ NO upgrade !@#$@!@! What the hell is this !@#$?"

I still want to see a closeup of someones face with the new hack. All i've seen is trees and grass so far. 

This break through is history in the making.  We are witnessing cinematography history with what Magic Lantern is doing.  I can understand the calls for caution BUT....come on now.  EVERYONE knew Canon was BS-ing with the 5D3's video capabilities. Straight BS.  I'm a Canon shooter and I'm heavily invested in rigging my 7D for video.  Mosaic Engineering filter and all the other odds and ends to help me shoot better.  I don't have to money to waste on system jumping, lens matching, adaptors, etc.  I shoot everything from weddings to music videos.  Blackmagic caught my attention but still highly annoyed me for many reasons...shipping delays, menu ergonomics, form factor, battery, ssd, resolve not running on my 2010 Imac...etc, etc. I'm not dealing with micro 4/3s right now so no gh2/gh3.  Been trolling canon rumors for updates for the 7Dmk2 and nothing.  No way in hell am I paying $6k for a C100.  This break through has made my purchasing options clear.  Hopefully they will be able to get it to work on the 7D.  With the proper lighting, ND filters, sure I can make h264 bit look great and low light wedding shooting with h264 on the 5D3 works great for me aslo...but now combined with some shots in raw.  This gives me the shooting agility that I've been looking for.

Hello everyone, yesterday analyzing the dng file after conversion with raw2dng and comparing them with raw files taken with the same settings and lighting, I realized that working them in lightroom appear compression artifacts .. I do not know if developers ml if they are noticed .... I am attaching a 'picture .. or lowered the value of clarity .... https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/71964196/CR2vsDNG.jpg

• Administrators

Just a word of advice... Please use Vimeo for future uploads, no more YouTube mush. Compress very lightly to H.264 and make sure this file is downloadable via Vimeo. I recommend at least 24Mbit VBR, 50MBit max.

Anyone knows, have tested or seen tests of an anamorphic resolution (1440x1080 or higher maybe) on the 5D mk2 for use with a 2x adapter? What I´ve read so far is that 5d wont go bigger than 1880x840 but what about other resolutions considering anamorphics. 

• Administrators

I'm testing anamorphic today on the 5D Mark III but not sure about 5D2 as don't have one. I'd say it is worth upgrading to be honest. Image is much cleaner on the 5D Mark III and you can do much higher resolutions!