BIG NEWS - Hands on with CONTINUOUS raw recording on Canon 5D Mark III

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Not true. Magic Lantern has never 'fried' a camera.

Yeah - and didn't I just say that in my post? Do you ever read or watch anything fully?

Silly us wanting feature film quality, whatever next

What kind of crazy analysis is this? I don't see your train of thought at all. Canon return us 'back to the good old days' if Blackmagic wasn't making raw cinema cameras for $3000? Um, ok.

The Blackmagic Cinema Camera 2.5K and Pocket Cinema Camera are indeed groundbreaking. Again another obvious statement that doesn't really tell me anything.

So the Magic Lantern raw is ground breaking too, and at the moment I'd give the image quality crown to the 5D Mark III but it is still early days in shooting with both.

If you ever try it yourself have a look at the temperature readout in Magic Lantern. Unless you can fry silicon at 50 degrees C (MacBook runs idle at that) you won't be having chips for dinner.

Why is everyone talking about Philip Bloom in such a negative way? He can do what he damn wants with his gear, his work and camera choices. If people want to buy his gear for more than retail then let them.

If it really bothers people what Philip Bloom does with his time, then they are wasting their own. Why don't you all go out with your hacked 5D3, a BMCC, GH3, GH2 and start comparing the footage of some bushes you have shot. Doesn't sound very nice what I said does it? See my point?

Whether its Philip Bloom, Andrew Reid or Arnold Schwarzneggers' left shoe - just chill out, be nice, enjoy what you do and help each other out. I mean, did you know that the 5D3 shoots raw FOR FREE? For those that can, as I said, ENJOY!!

Bloom has a wicked sense of humor and blunt delivery whether talking about RED's or BMCC's faults and I respect that. He wouldn't appreciate RAW because he is a broadcast guy who shoots long docs that have to be edited and delivered fast.

I do have one beef with the man, - Philip, if you're reading this, - stop picking on "RAW" spellers because spelling this format as "raw" simply doesn't communicate the epicness of being able to manipulate your footage to death. :lol:

I do have one beef with the man, - Philip, if you're reading this, - stop picking on "RAW" spellers because spelling this format as "raw" simply doesn't communicate the epicness of being able to manipulate your footage to death. :lol:

Andrew is guilty of this as well, as evidenced by a recent tweet. But no worries! It's all good.

Hmm. No they didn't. The increase to 1080p was one of the biggest things ever especially coming from NTSC. 720x480 interlaced?

How can anyone say the difference was small? But now, moving from 1080p to 4k is not as big a deal. People's eyesight ain't that good. That's why many movietheater is content to play 2k. It doesn't matter.

Yeah eyes are that good. Look at a 24" print and the same image on a 24" screen from a typical viewing distance. Hella difference.

Look at the old ipad and a retina ipad that's sort of like what 1080p vs 4k from a GOOD viewing distance for an HDTV can be like.

Old CRT's actually give you that "window feeling" WAY better than LCD screens. Especially if that CRT is an HD model. They really look outstanding. No LCD I've ever seen has ever given that "out a window"-feeling and they won't until they are OLED. Nothing to do with resolution.

Resolution is a red herring. I'd much rather have an old 720p plasma than a new 1080p lcd. Contrast, blacks...That's where it's at.

At home I have one of the last plasmas Pioneer did before they sold the business to Panasonic And it's gorgeous. It really is. Man those blacks really do their stuff, especially when watching films in the dark. 

Well looking at 4K demo on an LCD sure gives me more  of a looking out the window feeling than look at at 1080p set. And the same went for most others walking up and giving it a look.

• Administrators

The annoyance is, that the image is spellbindingly good, the technical achievement beautifully rare, the price accessibly low and yet Philip warns people off, waters down the enthusiasm, encourages people to spend $12,000 on a 1D C instead (it makes no sense!) and appears at trade shows to talk about it, for money.

That isn't indie filmmaking. It isn't even good advice.

Listen to the frustration in our criticism. It comes right from the heart.

I've never seen so much test footage of trees, shrubs and flowers in my life with all of these 5D3 raw clips being uploaded online. I appreciate seeing the quality of the footage but let's try to shoot some landscape wides of a lake, highway, city line, or something besides closeups of the bush in your backyard.... lol

hah, OK, well how about some wildlife footage now appearing:

ISO3200

The annoyance is, that the image is spellbindingly good, the technical achievement beautifully rare, the price accessibly low and yet Philip warns people off, waters down the enthusiasm, encourages people to spend $12,000 on a 1D C instead (it makes no sense!) and appears at trade shows to talk about it, for money.

I always had this feeling that PB was about being the pioneer and that he had exclusive access to equipment.  That was his calling.  Look at how he went on and on about his Epic, and that was more Alpha stage than ML's hack right now!  Why not embrace this?  No he put so much into the 1DC how it was the next best thing!  Now he looks the fool.  Well that's his pride and it's biting him again.  He and his "bloomites" can all just eat it now.  ML is amazing!  He needs to pack it up, his roadshow is done.

Hola, primero que nada me gustaría felicitarlos por el trabajo que han realizado con la cámara. Me entusiasma muchísimo y estoy pensando en comprar la Mark III en vez de la blackmagic producer 4k!!!

Me gustaría saber si la compresión de RAW es posible en esta cámara. De ésta manera se podría tomar video 4k o 5k, aunque no de todo el sensor pero sí de 5760 x 840 o 3840 x 660 (por poner un ejemplo). Incluso si no fuera posible tomar raw comprimido, ver la posibilidad de tomar jpg en estas resoluciones mencionadas. Sería bonito poder utilizar imágenes 4k o 5k en video saliendo de esta cámara. Y así aprovechar al máximo el trabajo tan ingenioso que se ha realizado con esta cámara.

Me surgió esta duda después de realizar el hack a una Nikon D5100, que de fábrica toma raw comprimido cuyo peso de los archivos es de 13-14mb, y con el hack los archivos sin comprimir son casi todos de 34.6mb, también sé que la blackmagic pocket tomará raw comprimido para hacer posible la grabación en SD.

Quizá mis preguntas estén fuera de lugar... 

Muchas felicidades por sus mentes inquietas.

:)

----------------------------

Hello, first of all I would like to congratulate you for the work you have done with the camera. I look forward very much and am planning to buy the Mark III instead of 4k producer blackmagic!

I wonder if RAW compression is possible in this camera. This way you could take 4k or 5k video, but not the entire sensor but 5760 x 840 or 3840 x 660 (for instance). Even if it were possible to take raw compressed, see the possibility of taking in these resolutions referred jpg. It would be nice to use 4k or 5k images in video out of this camera. So make the most of so ingenious work that has been done with this camera.

I did this doubt after performing the hack to a Nikon D5100, factory that takes raw compressed files whose weight is 13-14mb, and the hack files uncompressed 34.6mb are almost all also know that the blackmagic pocket take raw compressed to enable recording in SD.

Maybe my questions are out of place ...

Congratulations on your mind restless.

:)

I had a chat with Philip about it the other day, his main concern is the workflow and it's a valid concern especially for the kinda fast turnaround work he does. RAW means a big investment in CF cards, raid arrays, and fast computers. I'm looking at a $10,000 investment and change to cut a RAW feature. 

Has anyone tried to do something like 10fps bursts at full resolution for photography purposes?

The 5D3 does at least 6fps with proper full size raw images so why bother doing this for 2 Megapixel stills? On the other hand shooting video at regular 24/25/30fps & then extracting 2 Megapixel stills could be useful once you recognise that many shots will be ruined by motion blur unless you up the shutter speed but then that will render motion in the video wacky.

I'm noticing a deafening silence from the DSLR gang of LaForet, Chung ( blogged ) and Hurlbut ( testing ML now ). These guys gained their prominence from the 5D, but now seem to be trying to distance themselves from it because DSLRs are too cheap or something. 

Case in point, - I just noticed that Dan Chung quitely changed the domain of his blog from www.dslrnewsshooter.com to just www.newsshooter.com