BIG NEWS - Hands on with CONTINUOUS raw recording on Canon 5D Mark III

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I'm still confused, how is the camera determining which pixels to give you in the "full frame" mode? I see how this makes sense with the 1:1 crop, but i cant figure out how we are getting full frame raw.

there are 2 way of doing this pixel skipping (ugly) or downsampling (very nice on this 22mpixel sensor as it is a 9 pixels to 1 pixel dowsampling ratio) i hope it is not pixel skipping because it would mean only 1/9 of the pixels are used to produce  the final image :(

Full frame mode reads the sensor in such a way as to do a lower resolution scan of the full 22MP chip. It is 14bit linear RGGB bayer raw.

It does not read every pixel and downscale it on the image processor.

It is a raw scan of the sensor, direct to the card.

Fine detail looks very clean, as good as GH2 was. But raw! Dynamic range is incredible and low light looks very promising too.

if "lower resolution" means it skips 3 pixels in both directions then only 11.1% of the initial information is used :(

Oh come on. Lucas had to go to the camera manufacturers straight to even get 24p 1/2 inch HD cameras for films when they did Episode II. That doesn't mean the technology was there. When Sony made those cams they didn't know anything about how films were made, they were mostly doing broadcast. Times change, doesn't mean a conspiracy is everywhere.

I said maybe 5 years Could be less. Why do you think its conspiracy theory? Am I making it up that the cameras have this technology locked away IE Crippled.

This is indeed an incredible news. Makes you wonder about how many pro functions could you unlock in other regular equipment.

Sadly I can see vertical lines on the footage too, But if Magic Lantern was able to do RAW video.. not so hard to imagine that they will be able to fix that.

I wouldn't say that it could jeopardize Blackmagic's sales though. The Pocket Cam is in an entirely different league (pricing, S16 form factor) and the Production Cam probably has the same ~12 stop of dynamic range with global shutter and a quality controlled hardware. Also I feel no advantage of having a full frame sensor instead of S35 for movies.

I think the whole discovery is more likely a threat for the Canon EOS cinema line. Who the hell will need an overpriced 1DC after this? (Who needs an 1DC anyway..)

Their target market perhaps? 4K b/c camera on features

Even though it's not really "raw", uncompressed 14bit 4:2:2 YUV @ ~2K trumps the crap out of compressed 8bit 4:2:2 YUV @ 4K (1DC).  Their target market are a gaggle of fools if they think otherwise.  But maybe that's what they've been counting on all along.

People willing to buy/rent a 1-DC are unlikely to rely on a hacked camera though. Imagine a big money shot that has 1-DCs spread out to capture various angles..... They can't afford a dropped frame or some strange artifacting

I'd be interested to see a blown up comparision of a 4K 1-DC and the 5D-raw frame though..... 1-DC will shade the resolution, but maybe not by a huge amount.

A good business strategy would be to develop high end technology Cripple it for the high end then cripple it even more and sell to the low end. When the high end are finished buying decripple the lower end so it sells by the bucket load then come out with a new range for the higher end that is even better and cripple it for the low end. When your technology runs out of steam You keep your pro and consumer market ticking over with incremental improvements.

Maybe five years ago they could make a £500 camera that could shoot raw on cards they could already build but crippled them.

Maybe the camera market has maximised profit and we have been led like sheep.

Maybe Magic Lantern and Vitaliy are proving this with their work.

I couldn't have said it better!

A good business strategy would be to develop high end technology Cripple it for the high end then cripple it even more and sell to the low end. When the high end are finished buying decripple the lower end so it sells by the bucket load then come out with a new range for the higher end that is even better and cripple it for the low end. When your technology runs out of steam You keep your pro and consumer market ticking over with incremental improvements.

Maybe five years ago they could make a £500 camera that could shoot raw on cards they could already build but crippled them.

Maybe the camera market has maximised profit and we have been led like sheep.

Maybe Magic Lantern and Vitaliy are proving this with their work.

and maybe you are wrong

Without being too greedy.... has there been any further talk on variable framerates (both faster and slower)?

Because of the way ML has re-structured their code, There is no question that they are going to be pushing the FPS beyond 60fps. Look, if the 5D3 is able to do RAW at 3K, I would not be surprised if H.264 1080p@120fps is possible. The camera has already shown that it can handle huge loads.

Because of the way ML has re-structured their code, There is no question that they are going to be pushing the FPS beyond 60fps. Look, if the 5D3 is able to do RAW at 3K, I would not be surprised if H.264 1080p@120fps is possible. The camera has already shown that it can handle huge loads.

I like the way you think.