BIG NEWS - Hands on with CONTINUOUS raw recording on Canon 5D Mark III

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

After about 3 hours of trying to get ML to install (after downgrading to 1.1.3) now I have dropped frames.  I guess I have to get an (expensive) 1000x CF card.  Recommended brands?  I want to get Sandisk since they are reliable, but the Extreme Pro is rated at 90mbs.  Lexar and Transcend both have 1000x 160/120mbs cards.  This sucks because these CF cards are really expensive. 

If this lives up to the hype then the BMC or 4k camera seem far less appealing.

Is it possible to get a super 35mm equivalent field of view?

Have they attempted to tamper with the eos cinema cameras?, would be great if you could have raw video from those ergonomic bodies.

Great news if it turns out to be all its cracked up to be, and perhaps see people spending their leftover cash on actually going to interesting places rather than filming their cats and garages.

If this lives up to the hype then the BMC or 4k camera seem far less appealing.

Is it possible to get a super 35mm equivalent field of view?

Have they attempted to tamper with the eos cinema cameras?, would be great if you could have raw video from those ergonomic bodies.

Great news if it turns out to be all its cracked up to be, and perhaps see people spending their leftover cash on actually going to interesting places rather than filming their cats and garages.

when they make this available for the Canon 600d you will have a Super 35mm size sensor

Amazing, but, how practical is for some of us to run and sell our gh's to have this, I shoot weddings and I need a super stable body, also I need good codec for editing, imagine the workflow hassle of recording raw with mkIII and the potential dangers of losing THE WEDDING !

I guess for low end music videos, commercials and who knows what projects that can have another cut this is quite amazing, the rest of  who eighter have the money for epic/red/alexa or need rock solid stable equipement this can't ever be practical.

As for Canon knowing this will happen, it might be true, in computers land many many years ago overclocking was a no no as intel and amd was concerned, now you see overclocking as a feature/bonus, you see black editions, unlocked, water cooling given by them :) , everything is overclockable and the little people are so happy they got a couple a hundred of megahertz "for free" and reached performance of higher priced models, In concusion, Canon knows and they might even give them a hand if they get stuck along the way :).

Now it's probably time for Sony to give that fs700 4k firmware.

Here is my comparison test of "image detail quality" on the 5D Mk III with and without ML then against the GH3:

Please notice that this was a fast test and if you find something wrong or unfair do let me know to fix it asap. :)

One word:  Insanity!

Just freaken insanity. What will this do to future DSLR camera releases?  I truly believe that Canon played their cards right and threw us a hidden gift. There's no way they didn't know ML would eventually figure it out. Perhaps that's the reason why the only major upgrade to the 5D3 was the Digic 5.

Come on Canon, come clean!

• Administrators

Andrew, if you're not too busy could you shoot someone ( or even your dog ) against a green screen and post a frame? I'm really curious how the 5D RAW will key. 14-bit 422 is going to have some serious firepower in post.

My dog won't stand still for long enough in front of a green screen :)

Updated video with more shots coming later today.

When I get back to Berlin tomorrow will be doing many more tests. Currently in UK.

• Administrators

I'm still confused, how is the camera determining which pixels to give you in the "full frame" mode? I see how this makes sense with the 1:1 crop, but i cant figure out how we are getting full frame raw.

Full frame mode reads the sensor in such a way as to do a lower resolution scan of the full 22MP chip. It is 14bit linear RGGB bayer raw.

It does not read every pixel and downscale it on the image processor.

It is a raw scan of the sensor, direct to the card.

Fine detail looks very clean, as good as GH2 was. But raw! Dynamic range is incredible and low light looks very promising too.