NAB 2018 sneak peak: Zoom F8n

IronFilm

• Super Members

I quite like this folding one.

It folds down to about 6 inches wide for travel and is both USB and bluetooth so you can use it wired with the F8n or wireless with your iOS devices when you're using the app so its a very flexible device. I used to have a similar one in my bag permanently as my old MacBook had a tendency to throw its hand in keyboard wise when it got damp (which it would frequently do pitch side in English winters. And English springs, summers and autumns ;) ) and it was a god send.

41Qc93Hbm-L.jpg.226aa5ab32c65ab2e452f656c4c9a215.jpg

http://amzn.eu/grqeFFy

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Depends a lot on the person buying it, for me who is using it every day and for paid work, then the extra cost of its life span per use is nothing at all. 

But if a person is using it much less often, then it could be smarter to get the cheaper F4

On 4/11/2018 at 12:10 PM, IronFilm said:

Hold your horses, too early to call this a "FS5mk2" release! 

Welllll...  quite the opposite, we can say clearly this is *not* a FS5mk2 release! As there will be hardware improvements (while the FS5mk2 we can skeptical if there are any hardware changes....)

Remember, this F8n is only a couple of hundred dollars more than the launch price of the F8, is that worth it for a handful of improvements? (some which are very much wanted, such as line/mic switchable XLR inputs and headphone amp improvement) I reckon that is worth it for a couple of hundred dollars. 

This.

The F8n will probably have small cache, perhaps 10ms or less. So it can "look ahead". Some other recorders/software does that. 

Six hundred dollars more than the F8n, will it be worth it? 

I'm very skeptical if it will be. We'll find out soon enough!

I think it 1ms delay.

2 hours ago, Asmundma said:

I think it 1ms delay.

Yes, I wrote that back before we knew the details so it was sheer pure wild guesstimates from me (in hindsight, obviously way too high) as to what the time delay might actually be. 

Mine has arrived! But strangely, I won't be using it on tomorrow's shoot. As I'll be DoP, and instead the privilege of using the new F8n will go to a newbie n00b soundie who I'm lending my kit to so she can handle the sound on my shoot :-o Fingers crossed

Serial #39, the first and only one in all of New Zealand!

• Super Members
On 7/12/2018 at 3:33 AM, IronFilm said:

I saw the 12 track version of the Livetrack in a music shop a couple of months ago and they certainly cram the features in.

Looking at the power requirements, for anyone who could deal with the form factor, it could actually also be pressed into field recording using the old SmallRig 12v from NP battery adapter for the BMPCC ;)

611nTk8vR1L._SL1000_.thumb.jpg.717bad336416f5267528b60b1736c1ad.jpg

2 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

Looking at the power requirements, for anyone who could deal with the form factor, it could actually also be pressed into field recording using the old SmallRig 12v from NP battery adapter for the BMPCC

It lacks however a tonne of the features you need in a field recorder. 

• Super Members
1 hour ago, IronFilm said:

It lacks however a tonne of the features you need in a field recorder. 

As a combined mixer/recorder it would be very useful for me in an all round role for live event webcasting and music recording.

But, yes, perhaps 'pressed into field recording' should have read 'shoehorned rather clunkily'.

With that number of simultaneous recorded tracks I could live with using LTC and the remote start is an easy fix for me but the dynamics being post A/D and no safety track is unfortunate.

As the Black Knight would say in The Holy Grail, though, "I've had worse" !

Anyway, back on topic, how did the F8n work out today ?

On 7/5/2018 at 11:44 AM, Ty Harper said:

As a USB interface I wouldn't be doing much recording (if that's what you were referring to). Maybe the odd v/o, or record as I continue to digitize my old vinyl. In the field it would be for talking head interviews that require more than two mic inputs as I already have a Marantz PMD661 with the Oade mod that's fine for my two-person interview needs. But sorry, are you saying the pre's on the F4/8/8n would be better than the RME FF400, or worse?

And thanks for the link!

Hi, I have extensive experience with RME and had the rme 400 , now UFX II. The drivers in RME is rock solid and you can record with low latencey (the is now way the Zoom will be that stable). If you record music, the RME is the way to go as it much better for that purpose (DsP with EQ, compressor, auto level of recording, high impedance input for guitar, etc.) , recording video sound the F8n will do well. Sound Devices will benefit from analog limiter, slightly less noise. 

• 2 weeks later...

According to the Comparison PDF at the end of that page F8 is lighter, has 1 more hour of operation time, plus some accessories that the F8n doesn't include (mount, cables). 

According to that table, I do not get why someone to get the more expensive F8n!

Feel stupid din't get the F8 when it was 760euros a few weeks ago.

The F8n is 1200euros here.

1 hour ago, Kisaha said:

Feel stupid din't get the F8 when it was 760euros a few weeks ago.

Half wonder if this firmware update will lead to a slight upward trend in secondhand prices of the F8 original. 

Seeing as there will be less people selling them off after buying an F8n, and more people wanting to hold onto a F8 or obtain one themselves. 

19 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

Half wonder if this firmware update will lead to a slight upward trend in secondhand prices of the F8 original. 

Seeing as there will be less people selling them off after buying an F8n, and more people wanting to hold onto a F8 or obtain one themselves. 

Seriously, what's your take on that?

They only differences I see are the 9-16V vs 9-18V, and the +4db vs -40db. How those affect us in real life situations?

I am seriously puzzled, that could be easily been just a firmware update, keep the 999price, and create a vastly better machine for 2000euros.

For 760euros this is a steal.

2 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

Seriously, what's your take on that?

Wellllllllllll...........    if you go back and look at my post:

On 7/30/2018 at 8:40 PM, IronFilm said:

Great news for the original F8 owners:

What I did NOT say was:
"Great news for new F8n owners"

9 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

Wellllllllllll...........    if you go back and look at my post:

What I did NOT say was:
"Great news for new F8n owners"

Haha! Where is the laugh-vote?!

Seriously, in real life situation the voltage and +4db where are applicable??

I am so getting an F8!