Lights - 2018 : New, deals, low budget, DIY

salim

Wanted to have a thread on lights. LEDs have changed the entire industry. I'm always looking for a great light solutions for cheap, high quality and versatile. 

Today at NAB, Luxli introduced a follow up their RGB Viola LEDS, called (wait for it) Cello. It's basically a 10 inch version of the 5 inch former (get it, cello). The CRI I'm guessing is better (couldn't find the CRI on the Viola, even though I own two of them but these have 95). https://www.bhphotovideo.com/explora/video/news/nab-2018-luxli-expands-led-orchestra-with-cello-rgbaw-light

I bought the Viola just before Christmas 2017 when B&H had their daily deals on them. I think I paid like $170 (I bought 2, should have bought more). They're on sale again, for $199. 

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1237741-REG/luxli_orc_viola_5_viola_5_multi_color_on_camera.html

I bought them mostly for accent and background color. I tried to shoot a cover video for a singer and we tried to have different color backgrounds for different songs and (since I was traveling) finding gels was a bit hard. So I ended up buying color pens and coloring frosty material to make my own gel. It was a headache. Not to mention my DIY, gels cut so much of the light power. These Luxli lights produce infinite color variations and are very bright for their size. So I love them. 

For comparison: 

Viola: 

CRI: ? 
Power draw: 16.28 W
Beam: 60°

Light 3000K-10000K + RGB
LUX at 3 feet 
3200k = 818; 4300k= 838; 5600k = 836; 6500k = 840; 7200k =848; 10,000k == 844

Cello:
CRI: 95; TLCI 97

LUX at 3 feet 1200 (colors are not provided yet)

Power Draw: 24W

Beam: 72°

But I'm always looking for high quality lights and I'm curious what else it's being announced at NAB and afterwards. So if you see anything cool at NAB or on sale, etc. please share! 

Here's some of the things you can do with the Viola lights: 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

For DIY crowd who want to create their own very high CRI LED panel, LED spot or flex lights. These guys sell CRI of 95-98 LEDs with everything you need to make your own LED lighting stuff. 

https://www.yujiintl.com

You might ask yourself why do you need to make your own lights, when you can buy them cheaply. The reason is some lights with high CRI are still very expensive and you can build something yourself for 1/3 or 1/4 of the cost. But more importantly you can build something modular that you can customize to your needs. 

Look at Roger Deakins custom light setup for his movies, https://www.premiumbeat.com/blog/blade-runner-2049-lighting-cinematography/

or soft panel, 

6 hours ago, sanveer said:

There is no information on brightness and some customers on B&H have mentioned issues of overheating.

Price is good and the idea seems great. Maybe the implements needs a little working on. 

If you read the Aputure article above, they also mentioned that RGB LEDs tend to generate more heat. Looks like it's the property of the RGB LEDs. Maybe they just need more research. 
I have not noticed over heating on my Viola but I have not tested them for a long period either. 

18 hours ago, salim said:

Wanted to have a thread on lights. LEDs have changed the entire industry. I'm always looking for a great light solutions for cheap, high quality and versatile. 

Today at NAB, Luxli introduced a follow up their RGB Viola LEDS, called (wait for it) Cello. It's basically a 10 inch version of the 5 inch former (get it, cello). The CRI I'm guessing is better (couldn't find the CRI on the Viola, even though I own two of them but these have 95). https://www.bhphotovideo.com/explora/video/news/nab-2018-luxli-expands-led-orchestra-with-cello-rgbaw-light

I bought the Viola just before Christmas 2017 when B&H had their daily deals on them. I think I paid like $170 (I bought 2, should have bought more). They're on sale again, for $199. 

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1237741-REG/luxli_orc_viola_5_viola_5_multi_color_on_camera.html

I bought them mostly for accent and background color. I tried to shoot a cover video for a singer and we tried to have different color backgrounds for different songs and (since I was traveling) finding gels was a bit hard. So I ended up buying color pens and coloring frosty material to make my own gel. It was a headache. Not to mention my DIY, gels cut so much of the light power. These Luxli lights produce infinite color variations and are very bright for their size. So I love them. 

For comparison: 

Viola: 

CRI: ? 
Power draw: 16.28 W
Beam: 60°

Light 3000K-10000K + RGB
LUX at 3 feet 
3200k = 818; 4300k= 838; 5600k = 836; 6500k = 840; 7200k =848; 10,000k == 844

Cello:
CRI: 95; TLCI 97

LUX at 3 feet 1200 (colors are not provided yet)

Power Draw: 24W

Beam: 72°

But I'm always looking for high quality lights and I'm curious what else it's being announced at NAB and afterwards. So if you see anything cool at NAB or on sale, etc. please share! 

Here's some of the things you can do with the Viola lights: 

Couldn't help myself, picked up a used one for $118.

Can you program in animations to simulate flame or a flickering fluorescent or something? I've been looking for a budget magic gadget since years ago. Can you program color loops?

Of course the trick with magic gadget flame gags is ganging up a bunch of different lights to create some real chaos, usually including a constant base source dimmed way down to a low color temp like embers, so one of these will never replace but merely supplement that. Aputure's approach seems to understand the need for being able to program in animations; recording a flame and then recreating it on a larger scale is sooooo cool. But even a poor man's version of that would be wonderful, especially for $118. ;)

Lighting with projectors as hard sources and RGB(W) displays as soft sources (look up Sony's Crystal LED technology) is sort of the holy grail of control. This is sort of like a super low res Crystal LED.

And until then, Digital Sputniks aren't bad.

They are too expensive, though. Hoping the app offers some decent control not just for color but also for animation. What are your experiences?

Edit: just watched this video: 

!

So cool

As for Deakins, I think that stuff is pretty common. I see a lot of batten strips/covered wagons and when I talked with the DP of the Sopranos he explained that most of their sets are lit by massive grids of 60w (or maybe 100w) incandescent lights on dimmers, at the top corner of each set. The approach is simple, always keep the scene backlit by those and then accent as needed. But you need to be very very good to dial in the details and of course the cost of constructing custom lights is often greater than just buying something fast and cheap and only justifiable or feasible on a big set in the first place...

On 4/10/2018 at 11:09 AM, HockeyFan12 said:

Hoping the app offers some decent control not just for color but also for animation. What are your experiences?

@HockeyFan12 check out this video as well. He shows how to do a police car emulation. I have not used the lights that much, but will use it on an upcoming project. The app used to have a a few other options, like lightning. But it was removed. I messaged their help desk and they said it had issues and they were going to put the lighting effect back. But looks like they haven't and just updated the app to work with their new Cello light.  

This also looks like a great light package. With weather sealed and so much power in a small package. 
https://www.newsshooter.com/2018/04/11/practilite-802-from-kinotehnik-first-look/

I read the review of their Fresnel light. One person said the cost of shipping it back to (I'm guessing Estonia) made the warranty almost worthless. So it's something to think about, vs companies like Aputure that have a US service and stand by their products. 

Some more of my favorite lights that I've seen from different NAB reporting so far. 

My MOST FAVORITE so far is this guy : 

https://www.newsshooter.com/2018/04/12/66093/

I messaged them via their facebook page, and I'll order couple of their 6W lights for fun. 

This Westcott has a great/performance value at $499: https://www.newsshooter.com/2018/04/12/westcott-solix-oled/

This 1X3 DPLumi at $1200 or so is also seem like an interesting option. It's about 3X the chinese versions but quality seems pretty good. https://www.newsshooter.com/2018/04/12/dp-lumi-flexible-led-lights/

These guys are doing a smart RGB panel. Their driver as they claim keeping colors within the rec709 color range. I'm assuming it'll help in color grading and preventing banding. It reminds me of photoshop and doing web graphic in the old days when you had to worry a lot about web colors and GIFs. 
They also are saying their profiling various camera sensors to better emit lights that match their characteristics.  https://nofilmschool.com/2018/12/litegear-litemats-litetile-nab

These guys have taken essentially a SCUBA diving lights and are marketing it to the cinema crowd. I guess why not. Anything with "photo", "Cine" or "Broadcast" in front of it usually demands higher pricers. The owner/rep sounds like a snobbish prick so I'm not sure even if I had the money, I would buy their stuff. 

https://nofilmschool.com/2018/04/distance-isnt-problem-stellas-new-leds

Lastly, I have to give it to another small guy. They got here so far via several fundraising campaign. And they build nice looking stuff: The CRI doesn't seem that good, so maybe their next version could be more interesting. https://nofilmschool.com/2018/12/blind-spot-lights-pack-powerful-punch-tiny-fixture

Anyways, hope others find this compilation useful or interesting. 

Lots of cool looking stuff there!

I was trying to build my own tiny flexible velcro LED lights, but it seems there are similar better options here, and also considering buying four 2X2s from Westcott when they were on sale for $500 apiece to make an 800w 4X4 to rent out. Looks like Litegear already has an 8X8 version, even better! That's the book light of the future and possibly bright enough for day exteriors, too. It claims 1600w and while I doubt it has the punch (beam angle) of a 960w MacTech (which gaffers tell me is about equivalent a 6k HMI through diffusion), the extra wattage might make up for it.

I would love to rent that for the right project. I'm sure the price is extreme, but the smaller lite mats are excellent, so that could be useful even for day exteriors... maybe...

That's a shame that lightning is gone, that's one of the main reasons I bought the light but I was probably going for more of a strobe effect anyway. To be fair, at that power output (guessing 10w equivalent about) you could just get a bog standard high CRI E26 bulb and flicker it with a switch or button on a dimming device. The brightness would not be that different whereas "real" lighting units are brighter than 6k HMI so it would never be useful for that except maybe in dimly lit interiors on an A7S or something. The real issue is the attack and decay envelopes being too hard with LEDs, though some seem to be worse than others... I'm experimenting with that now actually. For all I know the "strobe" effect on the viola is just as harsh as standard lights, unless you can carefully tune in the attack and decay (the sine wave effect looks good, but maybe too soft).

Though I hope I'm surprised about the brightness. And I assume the more of those you buy, the better. A fire gag constructed out of three or four of them could be brighter and more varied. I actually just found two more at $120 used so I picked those up. Could be useful for fire gags club light gags etc. and there's not much else in this price range that is.

4 hours ago, HockeyFan12 said:

I was trying to build my own tiny flexible velcro LED lights, but it seems there are similar better options here, and also considering buying four 2X2s

I'm trying to keep this thread informative (without all the typical ego-based ranting). 

So I also found these Chinese guys. Actually when I initially looked the price was $150. Now it's $200. But it's not bad. I was looking for just daylight to maximize my light output and also didn't want to travel with a larger power unit and color controller. I think t heir CRI rating of 95 is bogus since others who sell the same light list it as 90+ but still it's a great option for the price: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Travor-New-Arrival-FL-3060-Flexible-LED-Video-Light-448pcs-LEDs-CRI95-5500K-2-4G-Remote/32802896966.html?spm=a2g0s.13010208.99999999.262.ELBS3w

2 hours ago, salim said:

I'm trying to keep this thread informative (without all the typical ego-based ranting). 

I'm not sure what you mean. Wasn't there just a DIY lighting thread? I didn't mean to brag about anything–attaching LED strips to velcro is pretty simple and anyone could do it who was inclined to. Same with taping together 4 2x2 Westcott lights into a 4x4. I'm just glad there are alternatives that don't require DIY.

If I was bragging about anything, it's just that a few DIY ideas I had were showing up in commercial products. But mostly because I'm glad to learn they'll be available for rental!

13 minutes ago, HockeyFan12 said:

I'm not sure what you mean. Wasn't there just a DIY lighting thread?

Sorry should have not even mentioned that. It's confusing and self-defeating. Was recently reading through other threads, in particular the thread about the new black magic design pocket camera. That it went off track with people talking about why GH5 is great and how the other guy is insulting them, etc. Which to me it's mostly driven by fragile ego. So I was not talking about this thread or anything you said. In hindsight I could see why it must have either felt out of context or perhaps pointed to you. Anyways, sorry for the confusion and lets move on keep this thread on topic. thanks for contributing with your feedback and questions and inputs. 

20 minutes ago, salim said:

Sorry should have not even mentioned that. It's confusing and self-defeating. Was recently reading through other threads, in particular the thread about the new black magic design pocket camera. That it went off track with people talking about why GH5 is great and how the other guy is insulting them, etc. Which to me it's mostly driven by fragile ego. So I was not talking about this thread or anything you said. In hindsight I could see why it must have either felt out of context or perhaps pointed to you. Anyways, sorry for the confusion and lets move on keep this thread on topic. thanks for contributing with your feedback and questions and inputs. 

No worries. Those camera threads are always tricky! We want to assure ourselves we have the latest and greatest but we're also legitimately biased because our cameras are what we know how to use best. 

The viola is cool! It's not super bright, but for its size it's quite good and useful even for non-special purpose work as an on-camera LED or fill light. Its LEDs seem weirdly harsher than usual but not a big problem. 

The strobes show some rolling shutter, I only see it on the attack and not the decay which is weird but probably just chance and they sustain for a while, so it's nice.

Don't use this if you have epilepsy... very crazy light.

• 5 weeks later...

Just received the new Aputure F7 last night. It's a gorgeous little light. The CRI is great but I remember the review by Kaleb his measured showed the reds were not as good. At least in 5600K.  I compared it against Viola. It's brighter but also spottier. So not sure the total real output is more  or it's spottier. But it's gorgeous little light, very versatile for travel. It's plastic but feels solid enough. You have to be careful with it, but I think it'll perform great. 

IMG_5294.thumb.JPG.5b36b5f24384bb1e0bfd69285e94dd13.JPG

I also received the Boltzen light. This their new 30W bicolor. It has no fan! (unlike their 55 W). The brightness is constant across different color range. BUT, I don't believe the color reading. There is a strange step color change from 3300K-3200K but otherwise, it seems like a great option. It's heavier than I had hoped for and the barn doors do not cut the light nicely it has a very soft edge to the light shape both in spot and flood mode. 
The Aputure 20 is arriving tonight and I'll compare it next to Boltzen and see which one will take with me. But I've realized for the look I want I need something with a reliable 3200K light option. Since I want to WB to 3200k and give everything but the skin tone of actors a blueish cool tone. 

IMG_5292.thumb.JPG.2eaf619adf7da44df573f908d4235d28.JPG

3 hours ago, UncleBobsPhotography said:

Anyone tried the Aputure Amaran MX

I thought about it it, but then I got the M9. I figured for the price of MX I can have 3 M9s this way I have 3 practicals. I think M9 is too bright and too heavy. 

One person on FB user group posted that the fit and finish was too rough and sharp and it could practically cut your hand.  Ted Sims responded for something more portable he would pick the M9 himself. I think the MX has it's place, but for the price, I rather have the versatility of 3 M9s. 
There is the new korean company that I posted above (proFound) they have a small flexible LED that connects to the USB power source. It's just a LED cloth with a USB cable. They're not shipping yet, but that's the one I would get, if you want that flexibility. 

16 hours ago, salim said:

I also received the Boltzen light. This their new 30W bicolor. It has no fan! (unlike their 55 W).

Yeah I did a feature earlier this year and the DoP owned a Boltzen, and the fan kinda annoyed me :-/ But not as much as the RED ONE did....

16 hours ago, salim said:

The Aputure 20 is arriving tonight and I'll compare it next to Boltzen and see which one will take with me.

Looking forward to this :-)

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/19/2018 at 5:44 PM, salim said:

These look very cool. It looks like a simple filter sheet but it focuses and controls the light. I just ordered a 10, a 10X30 and a 10X60. If these work I might not even need the fresnel options. 

http://www.4kshooters.net/2018/05/20/rosco-announces-opti-sculpt-filters-for-more-precise-beam-control/

optisculpt_feature1_15x35.png.ae9795c41b2c8f9baa824261938cc3f9.png

optisculpt_feature4-2.png.cf9c88733df63ed913cb5c0307d257ca.png

^^^^ USELESS!!! Do not buy this thing. I received it. I tested it on point light source as well as LED panels. I tried 3 different version of this. They don't really work well at all. So don't waste your time or money. 

On a different topic this guy does not a overview of portal lights that you can travel with