The Moniter for the Masses.

sanveer

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Too bad its a recorder, I want a 7" cheap sdi monitor that only weights around 300 grams or so. I dont see the need for recording externally anymore (exept for maybe dual backup). As most camera's record RAW internally or with an addon. Its just needless extra weight on the camera.

12 minutes ago, zerocool22 said:

Too bad its a recorder, I want a 7" cheap sdi monitor that only weights around 300 grams or so. I dont see the need for recording externally anymore (exept for maybe dual backup). As most camera's record RAW internally or with an addon. Its just needless extra weight on the camera.

Feelworld F7s, maybe? (don't know if it is good, or TOO cheap)

http://www.feelworld.cn/ShowInfo.aspx?id=510&py=FEELWORLD-F7S-7-Inch-3G-SDI-4K-HDMI-On-camera-Monitor-IPS-Full-HD-1920x1200-Rugged-Aluminum-Housing

1 hour ago, zerocool22 said:

Look at the Focus series, the 5" is ideal, but there are other options if you'd like. 7" is too much for me.

It is 173g without a battery, and I can't believe anyone will go lighter than this, any time soon. Oh, and batteries are heavy by the way, no way you can go lighter than this, the aforementioned Feelworld is half a kilo without any battery.

1 minute ago, zerocool22 said:

Thanks! Well I think 5" is too small. I also like to dual task the monitor as a directors monitor. And I have tried 5" monitors in the past. But its simply too small to notice certain details.

Really? which one?! There weren't any good 5" monitors (for less than 999euros) in the past because I was searching for one the last few years. The Focus is 800nits, which again is a number difficult to reach, and the size and weight, are outstanding. Also the SmallHD touch user interface is truly best in business.

The new Focus OLED is 5.5", by the way, but 350nits and 8bit, 255g without battery.

Even OEM good panels (ask @BTM_Pix for that!) cost a lot more than 100$ from China factories, so they can't be very cheap.

1 minute ago, Kisaha said:

Really? which one?! There weren't any good 5" monitors (for less than 999euros) in the past because I was searching for one the last few years. The Focus is 800nits, which again is a number difficult to reach, and the size and weight, are outstanding. Also the SmallHD touch user interface is truly best in business.

The new Focus OLED is 5.5", by the way, but 350nits and 8bit, 255g without battery.

Even OEM good panels (ask @BTM_Pix for that!) cost a lot more than 100$ from China factories, so they can't be very cheap.

This one is super bright too @ 1000 nits. With an HDR screen for all that HDR shooting and multiple recording options (flavours of ProRes and RAW). 

Of course, this was my wish - a manageable-size external recorder that records 4K. But, with no SDI, there is no RAW output recording with existing cameras, so it is useless for the Sony FS700R and FS5 in gaining 4K 120P and 60P, which one can do using the 7" Inferno.

The benefits for existing cameras: this will enable owners of the GH5 and GH5S to record 4K 60P in 10bit, and all of those many Sony RX0 owners to record 4K 30P in 10bit. Otherwise, for most owners of mirrorless cameras it permits just higher bitrates at 8bit 422, for which almost no one sees a significant difference.

If one needs just a nice HDR screen, one is better off with a model without the recorder to get an even more compact form with better battery life.

And while I am in a pessimistic mood: the fact that it uses a new form of storage that is not a standard means it is likely that (1) this product will not be available for a while and (2) the storage will be expensive. Currently the Inferno uses standard SSD drives (which are still expensive).

Am I going to get one - yes.

4 minutes ago, Trek of Joy said:

Bummed about the new SSD. Atomos got almost everything right with the Ninja V, not sure why they didn't opt for standard SSD's on the entry level model. When I saw $700 US, I was going to order. Now, not so sure.

Actually wait a little more. Atmos is opening up the back for collaborations, which I am guessing may include wireless options, SDI via some extras (perhaps?), and other ways of adding to this. I think they should have articulated that a little better, perhaps? 

35 minutes ago, Trek of Joy said:

Bummed about the new SSD. Atomos got almost everything right with the Ninja V, not sure why they didn't opt for standard SSD's on the entry level model. When I saw $700 US, I was going to order. Now, not so sure.

It looks like you can still use the normal 2.5" drives since the connector and protocol are the same, but it will stick outside a bit. The newer sata SSDs have small motherboards so potentially you could change the SSD in the caddy III yourself,  or you will have companies that sell just the caddies like they do with caddy II. 

"Ninja V also works with Master Caddy II"

https://***URL removed***/news/2271297858/atomos-unveils-the-ninja-v-a-5-2-inch-4k-60p-external-monitor-and-recorder

Also the Atomos guy says this supports ProresRAW but there are no cameras yet that do that over HDMI so we should "knock the door of the manufacturers and ask for it". 

46 minutes ago, froess said:

I don't care about the recording part but just as monitor, seems great. The direct competition would be the smallhd 501 (400nits) and the focus (800 nits) so atomos is winning for me with the 1000nits and hdr monitoring.

It's both bigger, and heavier (almost double the weight) from the Focus, and if you don't need the recording thing, it is a lot more expensive too. It is 8bit (+2 FRC) so I am not sure about the HDR thingy (I am not sure, because everyone and their mothers claim HDR compatibility these days), I should probably check HDR on my phone, which is both Dolby and HDR compatible and has a 5.7" screen!

Overall, is a great product and with a right price, more appealing than BM 5" for sure, but for monitoring, I would go with the smallest and lightest possible.