Downgrading my gear - Few Questions

Charlie

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I'd say - keep or buy what ergonomically makes best feeling to you and best suite to your needs. Even 500$ difference will be easy compensate if you really like and with enjoy to use your tool. One camera, one or two lens that make you can fully concentrate to and accomplish your goal. Maybe to think of shooting as to some sort of peaceful meditation - only relevant is that you could not be distracted by anything... everything else is in yourself.

Of course, I'd say it more to myself than to you - because I'm always starting with presumption that you or anybody else knows better and more than me...

15 hours ago, anonim said:

I'd say - keep or buy what ergonomically makes best feeling to you and best suite to your needs. Even 500$ difference will be easy compensate if you really like and with enjoy to use your tool. One camera, one or two lens that make you can fully concentrate to and accomplish your goal. Maybe to think of shooting as to some sort of peaceful meditation - only relevant is that you could not be distracted by anything... everything else is in yourself.

Of course, I'd say it more to myself than to you - because I'm always starting with presumption that you or anybody else knows better and more than me...

I think this is good advice. Finding a camera that you WANT to shoot because it is enjoyable is going to be a very big factor in how much you want to shoot.

Sometimes I dread shooting with my a6500... The dim, small and not all that sharp (yet highly reflective) screen, the stupid recessed record button, the funky menu system, the difficulty in seeing the AF point selection when using the touchscreen, the inaccuracy of focus peaking (at really shallow DOF apertures)...

Just an update on this.

I'm still having a hard time making a decision. I love shooting with the GH5, it's a pleasure to use. For some unknown reason I'm drawn to a bigger sensor camera but both the A6300 & 6500 have some awful pitfalls (screen dimming, overheating - and it gets scorching hot here in Alicante). Like someone else already said, the GH5 has already lost a lot of resale value yet the specs and functions remain top class.

I use 4k 60p pretty much all the time so I would weep in my pillow if I didn't have it!!! jajaja

Plus I already cancelled the sale of all my Zeiss lenses because something about them makes me go all warm and fuzzy inside!!!!....even though I hate having to use lens boosters and adaptor rings to make them work!

I'd love the A7III but then I'm spending money not saving it.

I might just keep everything and rent my ass out instead LOL! :glasses:

18 minutes ago, Charlie said:

Just an update on this.

I'm still having a hard time making a decision. I love shooting with the GH5, it's a pleasure to use. For some unknown reason I'm drawn to a bigger sensor camera but both the A6300 & 6500 have some awful pitfalls (screen dimming, overheating - and it gets scorching hot here in Alicante). Like someone else already said, the GH5 has already lost a lot of resale value yet the specs and functions remain top class.

I use 4k 60p pretty much all the time so I would weep in my pillow if I didn't have it!!! jajaja

Plus I already cancelled the sale of all my Zeiss lenses because something about them makes me go all warm and fuzzy inside!!!!....even though I hate having to use lens boosters and adaptor rings to make them work!

Drive for Uber???

I would NOT recommend my Sony cameras to anyone who lives in Spain and is planning on shooting out in the bright sun. You just aren't going to like the LCD screen and the overheating issues. It's doable, just not recommended.

The a7III screen is supposed to be similar to that of a6300 / a6500 (except no dimming in 4K / 1080p 120fps), so maybe not much joy in that, either.

I think that there's no reason for confusion. "Problem" is that you already have the most complete, or best balanced prosumer camera in the market - which lose resale value just because of usual market's thirst for novelty. Also, you already have one of the two most respectable and sought after set of vintage lenses recommended by professionals for indie cine-shooting.

Degrading to the any product of current offer will not make you happy - even if you spare some money. So maybe just one logic solution rest - except to keep that one, with what God blessed you :) to already have - is: sell GH5 immediately and forget about shooting till the time when new BMPCC becomes reachable as really interesting/different and comparable priced toy.

If selling camera and lenses is the only way to resolve money problems - don't hesitate. There are more important things in the life, and you already get something the most important that you can not drop off: knowledge... And I hope that turn of the fate will soon bring fresh money again to your hands... right at the time of birth of GH6 or something similar...

Dude, you had me until your previous post. Now I wonder how sincere you are to make a move for in-the-moment needed cash. You are in the same breath lusting after other things (i.e. the most expensive route of a $2k new body) and saying that you are so broke you need a body in the $500 range. Which is it? And how much can you actually make by selling what you have to purchase other, lesser equipment.

You love your camera and Zeiss lenses. Refer to posts by @Mark Romero 2 and @anonim. I am all for cutting out the hardware "fluff" and selling off anything you do not need, but the notion of downgrading might leave you very unsatisfied.

I'd suggest being honest and doing a budget sheet to calculate what you could reasonably sell your kit for, actually sell two lenses you have not used in the past year (if they exist), calculate what a lesser "kit" would cost you, and then figure out HOW ELSE to raise the difference in cash you need. I've no idea of your circumstance but picking up some other part-time work and budgeting tightly for a couple months might be all you need.

If this does not work, then sell the GH5 and m43 lens and any Zeiss glass you don't use. Keep the rest of the Zeiss glass and say, I'm giving myself a year to get my financial life in order and then re-enter passion film making. Learn some new skills in the meantime and shoot with your phone.

On 14/4/2018 at 12:14 AM, Charlie said:

Just an update on this.

I was the one!

Yeah, no worries, life in the south is easy. Befriend some nice people, move with them/he/she and do a few jobs with the said equipment. If you had the same financial issues in London or New York you would be doomed!

On 13/04/2018 at 11:48 PM, anonim said:

I think that there's no reason for confusion. "Problem" is that you already have the most complete, or best balanced prosumer camera in the market - which lose resale value just because of usual market's thirst for novelty. Also, you already have one of the two most respectable and sought after set of vintage lenses recommended by professionals for indie cine-shooting.

Degrading to the any product of current offer will not make you happy - even if you spare some money. So maybe just one logic solution rest - except to keep that one, with what God blessed you :) to already have - is: sell GH5 immediately and forget about shooting till the time when new BMPCC becomes reachable as really interesting/different and comparable priced toy.

If selling camera and lenses is the only way to resolve money problems - don't hesitate. There are more important things in the life, and you already get something the most important that you can not drop off: knowledge... And I hope that turn of the fate will soon bring fresh money again to your hands... right at the time of birth of GH6 or something similar...

Your comment has actually convinced me, I do love my setup and the quality I am getting from it, just cancelled the eBay sale.

I'll find a way around my money woes.