Sony FS5 II announced with 4K 120fps RAW recording at NAB 2018

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
15 minutes ago, omega1978 said:

was this shot in 4k60p? slightly noise in some shots...

the lens seems fine, how is the AF

very disappointing that the new Atomos Ninja V have no SDI input ...

Yes, 4K 60P and 4K 120P also. Noise: it was very dark (dark clouds), the lens is f5.6 at the long end, and the 120 fps shots used a fast shutter (1/250th). No AF working, so all manual. I agree with you - we need a recorder with SDI in a 5" form factor.

Very disappointed in the FS5II as well! I was really hoping to see some of the innovations from the A7 line make it into a FS5 form factor. The FS5 would really come to it’s own with IBIS and the auto focus of the new A7/9 cameras... 

Regarding the A7SIII, my guess is it will be 10bit in HD and 8bit 4K internally and 10bit 4K with the Ninja V. Maybe if they wanna go crazy it’ll have ProRes RAW with the Ninja V... Another killer feature would be if they could squeeze the electronic ND from the FS5 into the A7SIII! If they manage that they would get away with 8bit internally (and 10bit externally).

On 08/04/2018 at 11:51 PM, JordanWright said:

A bit underwhelming, doesn't look good for A7s iii 10 bit

Sony have given up. They'll still churn cameras out but they won't be any seismic improvement on what has gone before. If the high end looks like that then the bottom end will look like that and I'd be surprised if the a7siii even manages to have 4k60 without a recording limit of twenty seconds or something.

It is highly unlikely for the A7sIII to have any form of 10bit. At least internal.  They would need to use a different wrapper other than the XAVC-S for that. Also it would undercut the FS5ii. XAVC-S can support 4K 60p though so I am confident we will see that. 

If they manage to get the fast readout times of their stacked CMOS sensor with video and offer near global shutter performance, coupled with 4K 60p, excellent low light, battery performance and very good AF that would still be an excellent camera and a worthy update from the A7sII. If the use the 24MP sensor of A9 then that would make it even better since hybrid shooters will appreciate the extra resolution for photos. 

While I would like 10bit as much as any other member of this forum, Sony does not have that much competition yet in order to potentially sacrifice sales of their professional line. Someone could argue that GH5/s is a good alternative but once you have the 60p with near global shutter and very good AF with a 24mp FF sensor it would distance itself by quite a bit. And I really doubt Nikon/Canon would come up with a FF mirrorless camera and internal 10bit anytime soon. 

That brings me back to the FS5II. A reason that Sony only updated a firmware might be because the competition is still slow. All C200/EVA1/FS5II have some form of RAW, 4K 60p, low light that is not that different. C200 offers a vastly better AF than the other two, EVA1 has the highest resolution sensor and FS5II has the electronic ND. Maybe color was the only thing Sony needed to address in order to match the competition...

• 2 months later...

Confused. On the WEX video, they tested the straight out of the camera look. On the Vistek video they seem to be inferring 'Venice' color is a picture profile. I would have thought Venice colour was simply the colour science present in every profile. Anyone understand this better?

Either way, certainly in the WEX video colours are hugely improved. They look awful on the FS5 Mk. 1 - blown out cyan skies, horrible magentas, orangey reds. None of that on the Mk. II.

22 hours ago, Gregormannschaft said:

Confused. On the WEX video, they tested the straight out of the camera look. On the Vistek video they seem to be inferring 'Venice' color is a picture profile. I would have thought Venice colour was simply the colour science present in every profile. Anyone understand this better?

Either way, certainly in the WEX video colours are hugely improved. They look awful on the FS5 Mk. 1 - blown out cyan skies, horrible magentas, orangey reds. None of that on the Mk. II.

I would imagine it is an option in every PP, the Gamma setting that you can apply just like Cine, Slog, Movie etc.

• 1 year later...

The Sony FS5mk2 price has come crashing down, you can get it now for US$3.5K!

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1469171-REG/sony_pxwfs5m2_b_pxw_fs5m2_xdcam_super_35mm.html/BI/7759/KBID/8285/DFF/d10-v21-t1-x954134/SID/EZ

This is exciting for me, because it means the days of buying FS5mk1 cameras on ebay for well under $2K should be arriving soon 😉

Because the current secondhand prices of FS5 don't make sense when for another grand and a half you could just get yourself a FS7 body instead.

This news likely indicates a FX6 can't be too far away, and they're wanting to clear out the FS5 bodies before then. 

Hope the FX6 does stick with S35 so that it is cheaper, but unfortunately it seems like the FX6 will be FF