Sony FS5 II announced with 4K 120fps RAW recording at NAB 2018

Andrew Reid

• Administrators

fs5iib.jpg

Sony have just announced the FS5 II ahead of NAB 2018.

This brings with it a raft of improvements, including revamped colour profiles tuned similarly to the high-end VENICE digital cinema camera.

As well as HDR and Rec.2020 4K modes, it's also capable of DCI 4K (4096 x 2160) RAW to an external recorder, at up to an astonishing 120fps, although this frame rate is limited to 4 seconds of slow-motion capture. 4K 60p meanwhile is continuous externally, and internally the camera records 4K up to 30p.

Read the full article

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I am sorry, but the recording capabilities you list are exactly the same on the FS5 now (with the appropriate firmware update):

"HDR and Rec.2020 4K modes, it's also capable of DCI 4K (4096 x 2160) RAW to an external recorder, at up to an astonishing 120fps, although this frame rate is limited to 4 seconds of slow-motion capture. 4K 60p meanwhile is continuous externally, and internally the camera records 4K up to 30p. "

Exactly the same. Exactly. Hard to believe this is a new model, or this information is correct.

I was planning on waiting for the A7s3 or sell my A7s2 and sony glass and upgrade to C200. What do you think? $8000 for this FS5ii has got to be a joke. You still need $1295 for that Shogun inferno to get the extra capabilities! Sad!

I actually commend Sony for this. Their color science in the original fs5 was beyond terrible. The skin tones in this video, however, look fantastic. I know it is early yet but the skin tones appear to be superior to the EVA1 and the c200 and I am a Canon apologist. 

Externally, you have all the framerates you require, so if you don't mind removing the top handle and running an atomos, I think this thing could surpass most cameras in this price point in terms of IQ. The skin tones really do look gorgeous. 

I am surprised by Sony because they usually cater to the specs crowd, but this targets those of us who care about the image quality more than anything, which is a nice change of pace.  

unbelievable!! this looks exactly like an upgraded FS5 ?!! same sensor, same internal 100mb XAVC 8-bit 420 codec for 4K..etc

only improvement is.. a revamped color profile!! i get color science is sony's biggest criticism but cmon.. what a colossal let down.

Well?...this goes to show us how BADLY Sony wants to protect every tiny inch of the FS7 market. It seems that Sony is not willing to lose one single FS7 sale to this FS5-II.

On the A7S-III, I"m really starting to believe that Sony is having a very hard time with the engineering aspects of the A7S-III. If they are "trying" to compete with the GH5 and GH5-S and give the A7S-III by giving it 4k 60p and/or 10bit 4k, maybe they just cant beat the heat problems. Every 10bit camera that Sony makes is actively cooled with a fan. Even the 2 new 10bit ENG cameras. We know that the A7S-III cannot use a fan to cool off. It has to do all that with a GIGANTIC, hot sensor,...and no fan!

Im betting that heat is a big problem in the A7S-III labs. Hmmmm.....

9 minutes ago, Cliff Totten said:

Well?...this goes to show us how BADLY Sony wants to protect every tiny inch of the FS7 market. It seems that Sony is not willing to lose one single FS7 sale to this FS5-II.

On the A7S-III, I"m really starting to believe that Sony is having a very hard time with the engineering aspects of the A7S-III. If they are "trying" to compete with the GH5 and GH5-S and give the A7S-III by giving it 4k 60p and/or 10bit 4k, maybe they just cant beat the heat problems. Every 10bit camera that Sony makes is actively cooled with a fan. Even the 2 new 10bit ENG cameras. We know that the A7S-III cannot use a fan to cool off. It has to do all that with a GIGANTIC, hot sensor,...and no fan!

I'd rather shoot this than the fs7 if it means the difference between having my images look like a Venice or having my images look like an fs7 lol.

2 hours ago, Cliff Totten said:

I think it is time to give up on the prospect of an A7siii. I feel it is either not going to arrive or arrive with underwhelming specs. If it does arrive, I suspect its stand out feature will be a stacked sensor with fast readout speed that virtually eliminates rolling shutter. That's fine but it is a very expensive solution to what isnt a major problem for 'me'.

4 minutes ago, Cliff Totten said:

Looking at this "new" FS5-II......

Is it possible that the FS5-II has ZERO new internal hardware components and 100% of the changes were just firmware changes?

Lol....nah, I'm sure Sony wouldn't do something like that.

Oh come on they did change the color of the ND Filter Knob LoL. But that is External.

13 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

Oh come on they did change the color of the ND Filter Knob LoL. But that is External.

Yes, they did change the color of the ND filter knob, fixing the number one complaint about the camera! Sony prides itself on listening to its customers.

And yes, the new FS5 II contains all the firmware updates of the current FS5, and absolutely no more than that.

Yet,...their new ENG get 10bit. Oh,....forgot,...those cameras are no threat to the FS7.

Its funny how one camera model like the FS7 can have an affect on every model below it. If the A7S-III doesnt get 10bit,...could we blame XDCAM managers for playing internal Sony politics and blocking it from Alpha?

I dunno but it makes you wonder....

Panasonic managers are breathing a sigh of RELIEF tonight!!

1 hour ago, Cliff Totten said:

Yet,...their new ENG get 10bit. Oh,....forgot,...those cameras are no threat to the FS7.

Its funny how one camera model like the FS7 can have an affect on every model below it. If the A7S-III doesnt get 10bit,...could we blame XDCAM managers for playing internal Sony politics and blocking it from Alpha?

I dunno but it makes you wonder....

Panasonic managers are breathing a sigh of RELIEF tonight!!

Nearly every time a camera comes out you see compromises due to heat problems - say the Fuji XH-1. Its quite possible that the FS5ii is crippled to protect the FS7. 

But I actually think the heat issues mean we are a 'long way' from seeing 10 bit internal or 4k 60 in an A7siii body with stabilization. I just think with current technology the sensor is too large and the body too small. I am not even sure Sony can bring this to APSC.