Jump to content

Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K


Yurolov
 Share

Recommended Posts

No one is going to argue about DR superiority of the UM4.6K with 15 stops advertised instead of 12 for the 4K. It's also got a wider ISO range.

All i'm saying is if you're allergic to rolling shutter and again want a 4K Super 35mm Sensor with Global Shutter then the UM4K/BMPC4K are a good deal.

The F55 is literally 10 times retail of the UM4K and 20 times a used BMPC4K. Just sayin'

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Again no argument F55 >>> UM4K but it's like saying: Aston Martin DB5 is a really good car. It's worth 10x the price of a Hyundai imo. I find it to be a 10x better vehicule. Maybe it's the user, but just watch "Goldfinger / Casino Royale". Beautiful stuff. ;) 

we're in a BM Pocket thread on a compact hybrid forum. affordability & good value were the points being made.

btw, on a side note i've been catching up on 'The resident' (discovered via this thread) kinda fun trying to guess which shots are Alexa, UMP & BM Micro!

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’m always impressed by those here who can tell the camera from the footage. I admit to struggling to see the difference even when I am  told where to look and what to look for! 

It’s like a game of chess - the colour grader trying to make the footage from the various cameras match and the eagle-eyed EOSHDer trying to spot the difference...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, Snowfun said:

I’m always impressed by those here who can tell the camera from the footage. I admit to struggling to see the difference even when I am  told where to look and what to look for! 

It’s like a game of chess - the colour grader trying to make the footage from the various cameras match and the eagle-eyed EOSHDer trying to spot the difference...

Apparently you don't yet mastered mind-usage of two magical words - color science... Applied to footage seen on 8 bit HD or even 4k screen, I finally understand "color science" as such: the more I'm looking  in two comparative footage with identical postgrading result, the more I'm sure that far better "color science" have that one, that origin from today-modern camera I actually have, or I wish to have in my last wish-iteration...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super Members
1 minute ago, Snowfun said:

How long had you been saving the Century caption? A good job it was an Englishman who reached it first!

Only about a week ;) 

Been trying to position myself to have strike so I could've hit it myself but I'd miscalculated a no ball or a wide somewhere along the line.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

Only about a week ;) 

Been trying to position myself to have strike so I could've hit it myself but I'd miscalculated a no ball or a wide somewhere along the line.

It’s back to the nets for you!

I only got there with an unplanned edge which third man fumbled. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On ‎2018‎-‎05‎-‎07 at 12:37 PM, Django said:

nope it got dropped just like on the UM4.6K. here are some numbers i found pulled from bmd forum:

URSA Mini 4.6k:
4.6k – 15.17ms
4k/2160p – 12.64ms
2k/1080p – 6.32ms
Micro Studio: 9.9ms
Micro Cinema: 13.3ms
Pocket: 17.74ms
BMCC: 23.62ms

 

60p can't be worse than 16.7ms, otherwise it is not 60p. Likewise, 240p, 120p, 30p and 24p can't be worse than 4.2 ms, 8.3 ms, 33.3 ms and 41.7 ms respectively. Rolling shutter for any particular sensor can't be worse than the refresh rate for its highest frequency full sensor read.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Mokara said:

60p can't be worse than 16.7ms, otherwise it is not 60p. Likewise, 240p, 120p, 30p and 24p can't be worse than 4.2 ms, 8.3 ms, 33.3 ms and 41.7 ms respectively. Rolling shutter for any particular sensor can't be worse than the refresh rate for its highest frequency full sensor read.

Not exactly.  Sensors tend to heat up when you scan them faster, so cameras will often run them slower.  Not sure if it saves power too but that could also be another reason.  They run them at the fastest acceptable speed that they can manage even though a lot of sensors can run much faster.

On "The Resident" the micro shots are easy to spot. I don't know if it's just a wider FOV, but someting about them does look off at times. Micro shots match better in color than any other small camera would, but something about them makes them easy to spot.  Ursa Mini Pro not so much unless there's an extreme highlight or something that clips a little harder than the Alexa would.  But even then it's not like it's offensively clipping or anything, it's just maybe a little more.  The strong halo/lightwrap around bright light sources might be a sign of the SLR magic APO primes, and the usage of the camera for me is another clue as to which camera is which.  Overall though the look is maintained well across all cams.

 

For the limited uses of aerial footage, if that's all from the DJI x7 then those shots are very impressive.  That camera holds up well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Savannah Miller said:

Not exactly.  Sensors tend to heat up when you scan them faster, so cameras will often run them slower.  Not sure if it saves power too but that could also be another reason.  They run them at the fastest acceptable speed that they can manage even though a lot of sensors can run much faster.

I think @Mokara was just pointing out that if you're shooting 60p then the camera only has 1000ms/60 = 16.7ms to capture a frame before the next frame needs to have started, otherwise the camera won't be keeping up with 60 fps.

Your point about sensor temperature is well made though, as I would imagine it has to do with the clock speeds that the processors need to run at, and faster clock speeds often mean running chips at higher voltages, which means more heat, more overheating issues, reliability issues, and power consumption.  Considering the battery requirements there's no wonder the RS on the Sony a6300 etc is so bad!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Savannah Miller said:

Not exactly.  Sensors tend to heat up when you scan them faster, so cameras will often run them slower.  Not sure if it saves power too but that could also be another reason.  They run them at the fastest acceptable speed that they can manage even though a lot of sensors can run much faster.

On "The Resident" the micro shots are easy to spot. I don't know if it's just a wider FOV, but someting about them does look off at times. Micro shots match better in color than any other small camera would, but something about them makes them easy to spot.  Ursa Mini Pro not so much unless there's an extreme highlight or something that clips a little harder than the Alexa would.  But even then it's not like it's offensively clipping or anything, it's just maybe a little more.  The strong halo/lightwrap around bright light sources might be a sign of the SLR magic APO primes, and the usage of the camera for me is another clue as to which camera is which.  Overall though the look is maintained well across all cams.

 

For the limited uses of aerial footage, if that's all from the DJI x7 then those shots are very impressive.  That camera holds up well.

Sensors can run in spec at whatever their fastest frame rate is otherwise it would not be part of their spec. Heat generation in a sensor (or any memory for that matter) does not come so much from reading the sensor, it comes from write operations, which are going to be fairly constant irrespective of what the sensor is being used for. Even if you are only using portions of the sensor for your image, the entire sensor is being written to constantly, and it has to be capable of sustaining the highest operation frame rate in order to do that.

Overheating in cameras is processor overheating, not sensor overheating.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Mokara said:

Sensors can run in spec at whatever their fastest frame rate is otherwise it would not be part of their spec. Heat generation in a sensor (or any memory for that matter) does not come so much from reading the sensor, it comes from write operations, which are going to be fairly constant irrespective of what the sensor is being used for. Even if you are only using portions of the sensor for your image, the entire sensor is being written to constantly, and it has to be capable of sustaining the highest operation frame rate in order to do that.

Overheating in cameras is processor overheating, not sensor overheating.

Are you sure?  The ursa mini 4.6K sensor (at least the one on the Fairchild website) claims it can run at 240fps full sensor readout.  Then why does Blackmagic only run it at 15ms?  Also, the pocket camera was 17ms and they improved it to around 13 with the micro.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I read (or heard) somewhere that the BMPCC4k will have HLG. I am curious what codec that would be (H.264?). Anyone have answers?

Also, does anyone know what the FINAL price of the BMPCC 4k would be after all the taxes added to the $1295 price tag? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...