Jump to content
Yurolov

Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K

Recommended Posts

BM sure did hype BRAW didn't they.  Experienced this 3-months ago and wondered why this could ever get passed QC.  ( Not my camera.  Updated from CDNG to BRAW before the shoot as a means to maximize recording space. ) Went up to Monument Valley for an interview + b-roll for a documentary project.

Safe to say that BM lost a camera customer 3-months ago.  Respectfully, I had no idea BM could be so unaccountable.  They went on record stating there was no difference between CDNG and BRAW.  This was backed by beta testers as well; something I appreciated and respected before making the firmware update.

* Note that this project setting is native 4K 4096x2160 resolution, full resolution playback, and the media is not optimized.  Also, the last image is un-graded.

 

Macro + Spatial 2.JPG

Macro + Spatial.JPG

Macro + Spatial 3.JPG

Macro + Spatial 4.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 6/24/2019 at 5:41 PM, Papiskokuji said:

It’s a shame because it’s the first time he takes some risks to express his artistic/technical skills and I appreciate the effort.

Or clearly the camera sucks if he couldn’t capture what he saw that day?

Or maybe we shouldn’t post anything we make unless it’s as good as [insert your favorite cinematographer] (because we don’t all agree on that either).

Not defending his work (I’ve posted as shitty stuff as well) just kinda disappointed in the attitudes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

3 hours ago, amanieux said:

blackmagic  also updated the ursa mini g2 firmware and cinema dng was not removed in the g2

@amanieux I'm not sure if this is correct.  I think the non-beta public release of the first G2 compatible firm was with Blackmagic Camera 6.3 update. In the Blackmagic Camera 6.2 update it states:

What's new for URSA Mini Pro 4.6K Removed CinemaDNG formats

So there would have to be a firmware version earlier that 6.2 that is compatible with the G2 to allows it to also use of Cinema DNG.

Of note:  For the USRA Mini Pro G1 the Blackmagic Camera 6.0 update supports both CinemaDNG and BRAW and add ISO 3200 as well as generation 4 color science to Blackmagic viewfinder. Blackmagic Camera 6.1 update also should have the same functionality, but this update did not change anything for the USRA Mini Pro according to the read me.  6.1 was out in 05 Feb 2019, and the G2 was not even announced until March 5, 2019.

All of the information I can find indicates that the USRA Mini Pro G2 never had Cinema DNG, which is probably good news for Pocket 4k owners as Blackmagic will want to improve BRAW performance on their flag ship product and it will trickle down to Pocket 4K.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, levisdavis said:

BM sure did hype BRAW didn't they.  Experienced this 3-months ago and wondered why this could ever get passed QC. 

Safe to say that BM lost a camera customer 3-months ago.  Respectfully, I had no idea BM could be so unaccountable.  They went on record stating there was no difference between CDNG and BRAW.  This was backed by beta testers as well; something I appreciated and respected before making the firmware update.

These thoughts have crossed my mind. Beta testers sign NDAs, they're gagged. With 4K raw video there's an expectation that it will produce frames that look not unlike 4K still frames. I recall one beta tester whose judgement I trust saying he couldn't break the codec. I thought BMD was different, my bad. Fool me once...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

Does the firmware rollback if you have the old Cinema DNG version?

I don't understand what you want to mean? : ) You can replace one version for the other one. Both ways. Only for those units which already had cDNG from factory.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve always had this feeling that Blackmagic cameras are never quite finished, this isn’t a problem exclusive to Blackmagic, but it seems to be more prevalent with BMD. Being a small innovative company that caters to no-budget filmmakers, I can accept that BMD cameras are a bit rough around the edges, what I can’t accept is BMD keeping quiet about flaws and not fixing them in a timely manner.

Since the days of the D90 and 5DMk2, blue skies have been a go to for testing for codec flaws, when I get a new camera it’s one of the first tests I do. I noticed the Pocket 4K macroblocking on the first blue sky shot I took with it. If BMD think this flaw is acceptable then they should market it as the ‘Pocket Hobbyist Camera 4K’, or put a landscape with a 🚫 symbol on the box, because it falls well short of the IQ expected of a cinema camera for landscape shots. I haven't noticed any codec issues shooting interiors, it doesn't appear to be a problem there, but I have hours of shots to edit and review.

BMD needs to think very carefully about how they respond to this issue, just a hint of bullshit or patronizing will not play well for them. Users need to be told exactly what the problem is, and what is going to be done to address it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First week with Resolve and BMPCC 4k. Lotsa blue skies in this edit and I'm not seeing any banding or microblocking shooting BRAW 8:1. Maybe a bit from YT compression but the QT is clean. Probably a little of FilmConvert could emulate that Cinema DNG look but haven't transferred that license over to Resolve yet.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The ghost of squig said:

I’ve always had this feeling that Blackmagic cameras are never quite finished, this isn’t a problem exclusive to Blackmagic, but it seems to be more prevalent with BMD. Being a small innovative company that caters to no-budget filmmakers, I can accept that BMD cameras are a bit rough around the edges, what I can’t accept is BMD keeping quiet about flaws and not fixing them in a timely manner.

Since the days of the D90 and 5DMk2, blue skies have been a go to for testing for codec flaws, when I get a new camera it’s one of the first tests I do. I noticed the Pocket 4K macroblocking on the first blue sky shot I took with it. If BMD think this flaw is acceptable then they should market it as the ‘Pocket Hobbyist Camera 4K’, or put a landscape with a 🚫 symbol on the box, because it falls well short of the IQ expected of a cinema camera for landscape shots. I haven't noticed any codec issues shooting interiors, it doesn't appear to be a problem there, but I have hours of shots to edit and review.

BMD needs to think very carefully about how they respond to this issue, just a hint of bullshit or patronizing will not play well for them. Users need to be told exactly what the problem is, and what is going to be done to address it.

I don't feel this with their cameras today. On the contrary, to be sincere. Aside these issues now reported.

But, some arrogance from their side is unbearable. This should not be tolerant by us as their supportive and cooperative clientele. Dictatorships simply don't bring any help.

Thanks for joining your voice : ) I am glad to see I am not the only one to notice and say it openly. I don't get the fanboy ostrich attitude.

E : -)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, alanpoiuyt said:

First week with Resolve and BMPCC 4k. Lotsa blue skies in this edit and I'm not seeing any banding or microblocking shooting BRAW 8:1. Maybe a bit from YT compression but the QT is clean. Probably a little of FilmConvert could emulate that Cinema DNG look but haven't transferred that license over to Resolve yet.

 

 

Looks great!  What lens did you use here?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Does the firmware rollback if you have the old Cinema DNG version?

If it is the newer hardware version of Pocket 4k with the updated LCD panel, then it will not work with firmware older than 6.2.1, so you can't roll it back to get the Cinema DNG recording options.

Here's how you tell, if you purchased your Pocket 4K new and it came with 6.2.1 factory installed, then you can not roll it back to 6.1 and get the Cinema DNG recording options.  I tried it and it said something like your camera is up to date.

Pocket 4k v1 - Cinema DNA enabled firmware rollback is allowed if you have access to firmware 6.1 or older.

Pock 4k v2 - Cinema DNG recoding options are not included and it is not possible to roll back the firmware to get them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The ghost of squig said:

Happens every time. 🙄 Why do think I didn't post about it when I discovered it on the 9th of June, I had a big job to prep for, I didn't have the time to open that can of worms.

Thank you man! Better later than never! LOL ; -)

BTW has anyone tried slimRAW on here? I guess it cannot mitigate the hassle but actually wonder what Mihail @cpc has to say on blueskies macroblocking topic?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/2/2019 at 11:49 AM, The ghost of squig said:

Happens every time. 🙄 Why do think I didn't post about it when I discovered it on the 9th of June, I had a big job to prep for, I didn't have the time to open that can of worms.

So did you approach BMD in Port Melbourne, or post it on Black Magic official site? Grant Petty is one of the most honourable man on the planet. He'll replace or refund you if you're not happy with his product.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/2/2019 at 11:21 AM, Emanuel said:

I don't feel this with their cameras today. On the contrary, to be sincere. Aside these issues now reported.

But, some arrogance from their side is unbearable. This should not be tolerant by us as their supportive and cooperative clientele. Dictatorships simply don't bring any help.

Thanks for joining your voice : ) I am glad to see I am not the only one to notice and say it openly. I don't get the fanboy ostrich attitude.

E : -)

Any chance of seeing something  of what you've  shot over the years. My real name is Brian (harry henry) Heard and I post on Youtube. What's your real name? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, harry henry said:

So did you approach BMD in Port Melbourne, or post it on Black Magic official site? Grant Petty is one of the most honourable man on the planet. He'll replace or refund you if you're not happy with his product.

No I didn't, this thread is monitored by BMD staff, and there's a thread on this issue on the BMD forum. Grant strikes me as a good guy. I don't want a refund, the camera works very well in most situations, however this blue sky problem is not an issue with my other cameras, so it's something BMD needs to have a look at.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, harry henry said:

Any chance of seeing something  of what you've  shot over the years. My real name is Brian (harry henry) Heard and I post on Youtube. What's your real name? 

 

Emanuel is my real name. I am producer. You have a IMDb link in my signature where you can try to trace some of the work I've participated. If you're in Australia, I think you'll easily find a independent feature shot on NZ with a 5DII. The title is 'The Baldlands' and last time I checked, you could find it on YT too. BTW the film director and my partner in that production came to change and buy Blackmagic gear for his next film to follow a suggestion of mine. Still his current bet, I've heard from him. For the period along these last years, it is easy to search on google and find some other titles, mainly mere trailers for obvious copyright protection. With one or another exception, I guess. Also shot on Blackmagic cameras, one or another by my direct influence or decision. Not rarely against the primary wish or idea of the director or/and cinematographer. It happened! Before 2001, only TV, corporate and film school work as well a co-production multiple awarded in Venice shot in 35mm film, probably available via torrents or suchlike once it is already a twenty-year-old feature movie today. Even though, still referred as one of the most interesting movies of the Italian cinema of the last decades.

Personally, I don't currently have any YT channel.

 

1 hour ago, The ghost of squig said:

No I didn't, this thread is monitored by BMD staff (...)

I've emailed Grant Petty and a few people inside BMD to address it. For the content of Brian's post, I'd even dare to bet you're just talking with someone insider now... LOL ; -)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...