Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K

Yurolov

7 minutes ago, kye said:

I asked the pro colourists if I should ETTR with the 10-bit footage on the GH5 and they said it wasn't necessary and it would be better to expose as normal.  I thought that people used ETTR to get better signal:noise in 8-bit, so anything 10-bit or more should be fine.

Digital is becoming film with these new toys around.

- E : -)

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

ETTR is just one among many exposure tools. It depends on the circumstances as to if it's the best tool. There are no scopes on the P4K and the zebras are not accurate and change with ISO so there is quite a bit of experience needed to get the best out of it in a contrasty lighting situation. As a result of some tests today I'd advise only using ISO 400-1000 and 3200-8000 in ProRes and be wary of what the zebras are telling you if you go off 400 or 3200 ISO.

Does anyone know where skintones should sit on the BMD Film curve? As long as you know that, you can use false color and either hit them dead on or go up a stop or so?

But it sounds like a 2 iso camera and that’s how I would treat it. 

I think, @BTM_Pix burns in his LUTS, so I imagine he is hitting his exposure dead on. How’s the noise?

7 minutes ago, mercer said:

Does anyone know where skintones should sit on the BMD Film curve? As long as you know that, you can use false color and either hit them dead on or go up a stop or so?

But it sounds like a 2 iso camera and that’s how I would treat it. 

I'd go 1 stop over for Caucasian and closer to middle grey for darker skin!

111.JPG

222.JPG

2 minutes ago, AlexTrinder96 said:

I'd go 1 stop over for Caucasian and closer to middle grey for darker skin!

111.JPG

222.JPG

Wow they give you a lot of information... was that in the manual or do they have a white page published somewhere? Shit they even give you where 80% zebras hit... which I assume is an important zebra setting if they’re including it in this graphic. Has anyone tried to ETTR skin tones at 80% zebra level and then let everything else fall where it may?

Can you assign FC to a function button and toggle it on and off? How about while recording?

• Super Members
1 hour ago, mercer said:

I think, @BTM_Pix burns in his LUTS, so I imagine he is hitting his exposure dead on. How’s the noise?

Don't drag me into it ;)

99% of my time with this camera has been spent writing a controller for it rather than using it to make actual images so I can't really chime in with anything anywhere near authoritative on it as yet.

I'm watching this closely though, as if enough consensus builds then I might actually add an option to interactively lock the ranges so that if you go from ISO1000 on the camera or the app it automatically goes to ISO3200 instead of ISO1250 and the same on the way down from ISO3200 to ISO1000.

44 minutes ago, AlexTrinder96 said:

This film was posted on the P4k FB group earlier. WOW.

By DAVE HILL

https://vimeo.com/304999893?fbclid=IwAR2eii51lO2jPHV0mQj1JmhplQRhKhp0YYaO_FHc2jEpYXe8KicJKm53PYo

wow_1.1.3.thumb.jpg.be29b1f419fb45c16f2cb41ea55fa56b.jpg

wow_1.1.2.thumb.jpg.389b0d31d4eae065fb606a0448fae7c3.jpgwow_1.1.1.thumb.jpg.1fbb0f785936c8160a9791e5864e8493.jpg

Thanks for sharing this. And yeah, this is amazing! The filmmaker really made great choices in that film. And I cannot believe he shot that in ProRes LT onto SD cards. 

He may have just single handedly restored my faith in this camera.

3 hours ago, AlexTrinder96 said:

This film was posted on the P4k FB group earlier. WOW.

By DAVE HILL

Thanks for sharing that, what a wonderful piece.

Lots of great things to say about it, the thing I liked most about it is that it really had a strong and coherent style, fun and whimsical but also tender and genuine too.  But perhaps the greatest compliment I can pay it is that despite it being shot on a significant camera, and being shared in the thread discussing that camera, when I watched it I stopped thinking about the camera and just enjoyed it as a creative work and all thoughts of equipment dropped away.

This is the point of art, to take us to another place, right?